Suitable replacement for a 2011 macbook Pro?

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
She needs it in a hurry, amazon take time to deliver, if they will even deliver to dublin, plus it's the weekend! I can drive to currys now and have it installed before she gets home.

I expect the samsung is better but I'll take a chance and see what happens.

She needs it in a hurry, amazon take time to deliver, if they will even deliver to dublin, plus it's the weekend! I can drive to currys now and have it installed before she gets home.

I expect the samsung is better but I'll take a chance and see what happens.

Think you will be ok as long as its a 9mm format, Kingston shows 9.14 so that will be fine

Do the RAM as well if you haven't already. As much as you can. Makes a hell of a difference.

I tend to buy from these guys but other makes are available ... http://uk.crucial.com/

Their easy-to-use guide on upgrading is very good.

Well, just wow.

I bought the hd. Brought it back. No need for it.

Long story short, apple tech support are fantastic. I know a few things about computers and asked a few questions and found them to be amazing. So, I started with Rc's early 2011 Mac book pro, broken and unusable, running OS X Lion. I'm now sitting typing on it, running OS X High Sierra. It's purring like a kitten. Such a great computer and totally up to date. I'm delighted. Turns out, the hard drive was fine, just needed a bit of tlc.

As for herself, she is also purring like a kitten, delighted that her computer is back in action. Serious brownie points. hehe!

Just, throwing it out there, Apple were SOOOOO nice to me and really were very very helpful. Made the decision over the last day to buy myself a MacBook Pro. This thing mightt be seven years old but by god it is a cracker of a computer!

Well, just wow.

Long story short, apple tech support are fantastic. I know a few things about computers and asked a few questions and found them to be amazing. So, I started with Rc's early 2011 Mac book pro, broken and unusable, running OS X Lion. I'm now sitting typing on it, running OS X High Sierra. It's purring like a kitten. Such a great computer and totally up to date. I'm delighted. Turns out, the hard drive was fine, just needed a bit of tlc.

As for herself, she is also purring like a kitten, delighted that her computer is back in action. Serious brownie points. hehe!

Just, throwing it out there, Apple were SOOOOO nice to me and really were very very helpful. Made the decision over the last day to buy myself a MacBook Pro. This thing mightt be seven years old but by god it is a cracker of a computer!

Thats a result !

I did similar, bought a 2011 MacBook Pro off this site about 1-2 years back. The reason was these unibody MacBooks are so easy to work on. I had a 2015 MacBook Pro but when I saw the 2011 I bought it.

It was in good condition but it was the bog standard 4gb ram 500gb HDD in other words slow . In went a Samsung evo SSD 250gb and crucial ram to 8gb. It made such a big difference.

Works so well I decided to partion the drive and put windows on it. Real handy having 2 operating systems on the same machine, not that I use windows a lot.

These unibody machines were the last Apple built that could be easily upgraded by the amateur. Really pleased with mine.

Well, just wow.

What did you do and what was the original problem?

I have a 2011 macbook pro that is white screening after login...tried their online tech support but they were shit and offered nothing more than I had already tried from appletoolbox.com

This comes just after I smashed my ipad screen.

Bummer.

To cut a long story short, I'll get to the juicy bits!

Firstly check the hardware. Hold down D when you boot up until you see the hardware test logo. Do the tests.

If this does not fix it, you could go into internet recovery mode, with a view to doing a fresh install.

When you boot up, hold down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R and keep that held down until you see this logo

OS-X-Internet-Recovery-Mode-Mac-screenshot-001-745x457.jpg
(hope that shows on this post)

It'll do a bit of a load up and then will ask you for your Wifi password.

Once in there, run the disk utility and see if it can fix any problems. If this does not work, reboot and do the same routine and get into internet recovery mode.

Since Lion, there are no install discs but they do allow you to restore your mac to whatever it shipped with using the internet recovery tool. basically, you can download a fresh copy of lion and it'll install that (overwriting all your data) and hopefully will make the world well again.

In my case, I couldn't not install anything because the date and time were wrong. I needed a bit of help sorting that out but when the date and time were ok, I went onto the next step.

In my case, I downloaded and installed a copy of Lion onto an external hard drive. (it's an option in the installer) I then booted into that external harddrive (hold down the option key - it'll show your two hard drives with an OS on it). Once booted from the external hard drive, the original hard drive was visible and I was able to grab all the files I needed and copy them to the external hard drive.

Once the files were safe, I formatted the original internal hard drive and rebooted into internet recovery mode, downloaded a copy of Lion and installed it. (with the external hard drive disconnected). lion installed and I was back in action.

After all this, I was given a link that I followed that allowed me to install OSx Sierra and from there I installed High Sierra.

Then attached the external hard drive and copied back the files that were needed!

See how you get on and I'll PM the link to OSx Sierra if you need it! Good luck.

edit here is that link that allows you to update lion to sierra

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Bummer.

To cut a long story short, I'll get to the juicy bits!

Firstly check the hardware. Hold down D when you boot up until you see the hardware test logo. Do the tests.

If this does not fix it, you could go into internet recovery mode, with a view to doing a fresh install.

When you boot up, hold down Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R and keep that held down until you see this logo

OS-X-Internet-Recovery-Mode-Mac-screenshot-001-745x457.jpg
(hope that shows on this post)

It'll do a bit of a load up and then will ask you for your Wifi password.

Once in there, run the disk utility and see if it can fix any problems. If this does not work, reboot and do the same routine and get into internet recovery mode.

Since Lion, there are no install discs but they do allow you to restore your mac to whatever it shipped with using the internet recovery tool. basically, you can download a fresh copy of lion and it'll install that (overwriting all your data) and hopefully will make the world well again.

In my case, I couldn't not install anything because the date and time were wrong. I needed a bit of help sorting that out but when the date and time were ok, I went onto the next step.

In my case, I downloaded and installed a copy of Lion onto an external hard drive. (it's an option in the installer) I then booted into that external harddrive (hold down the option key - it'll show your two hard drives with an OS on it). Once booted from the external hard drive, the original hard drive was visible and I was able to grab all the files I needed and copy them to the external hard drive.

Once the files were safe, I formatted the original internal hard drive and rebooted into internet recovery mode, downloaded a copy of Lion and installed it. (with the external hard drive disconnected). lion installed and I was back in action.

After all this, I was given a link that I followed that allowed me to install OSx Sierra and from there I installed High Sierra.

Then attached the external hard drive and copied back the files that were needed!

See how you get on and I'll PM the link to OSx Sierra if you need it! Good luck.

edit here is that link that allows you to update lion to sierra

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12

Thanks very much for taking the time to type this.
I think the only thing I have left to try is booting from an external HD. Otherwise, it's off to the engineers.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks very much for taking the time to type this.
I think the only thing I have left to try is booting from an external HD. Otherwise, it's off to the engineers.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Well fingers crossed for you. It's worth trying the external hard drive.

Yeah, it's a bit convoluted as I am trying to create the file on a windows PC, but here's hoping.

If you can boot into internet recovery mode, you can create it from your mac... can you get into internet recovery mode?

Back
Top Bottom