S1000xr is the GS more comfortable?.

Might not be your thing but it would be worth trying a R1200RT or a R1200R as well. The R is a great bike but the lack of wind protection might not work for you? A lot of people love the RT but I must say it has never been for me.

Just give them all a try IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, Had the RT, beautiful in blue but after a very short test ride on this XR my heart ruled my head and now here I am. Obviously should have taken a longer test ride !.

Hi, Had the RT, beautiful in blue but after a very short test ride on this XR my heart ruled my head and now here I am. Obviously should have taken a longer test ride !.

See post #22

PS The colour is not a great guide to comfort.

At the age of 63, I’d suggest that you’ve by now learnt to rely less on what you are told and more on what you can find out for yourself.

Nobody here is you, with your big pains after a few miles from riding your current bike. Take a 1200 GS WC out on loan for an extended ride. If you find it more comfortable, consider buying it. You could even think about trying bikes made by other manufacturers or other bikes in the BMW range. Micky, who is older than God, rides 1000’s of miles on his 800 but (like us) he’s not you.

Best advice by far! Comfort, for the most part, is such a personal thing.

Other than the dynamics of each bike - there are many variables in what makes a bike comfortable/uncomfortable.

Aside from the leg joint angles an back orientation - the seat on the XR ( as has been said) is quite restrictive compared to the standard GS seat, and also tends to kick your hips out - making it a stretch to the tarmac.

Looks like extensive test-rides is the order of the day..........

Might not be your thing but it would be worth trying a R1200RT
I am 6' 2" and 62 and I already own a 2016 GSA and I suffer from regular hip, back and knee pain. I test rode a 1200RT a few days ago and the more compact riding position made the pain worse. I really wanted to like the RT because of the superior wind protection and lovely instrument panel but I dont think I could ride it for more than an hour at a time. The fact is that the GSA is about as roomy a bike as you can get and if you start to feel a bit stiff you can always stand up on the pegs and stretch your legs

you can always stand up on the pegs and stretch your legs

You can stand up on the pegs and ride along on most, if not all, motorcycles. Needing to do so on-road on a GS / GSA might well indicate it’s not the comfort machine people claim it to be.

IMO The exclusive seats are the most comfortable stock seat that you can get on a GS, they really are excellent, they are standard fitment on the Triple Black, so go get yourself a nice long test ride on a GS and if you can manage to find a T/B demo bike even better.

I would also add that I found my 2016 T/B GS which was one the last of the pre intelligent suspension bikes that had the 3 ride settings (soft, normal & hard) had a marginally better ride than my new 2018 bike.
The new bike only has 2 ride settings Dynamic and Road, Dynamic mode can feel quite firm on some roads, and the ‘Road’ mode is a little on the soft side. It’s still a very comfy bike though, especially when fitted with the exclusive seats.

I will give you my experience

I found the Xr to be more comfortable than my GSA and the Hypermotard i find to be the most comfortable bike i have ever had despite its looks and what others say.

I rode 320 miles to Scotland yesterday and although not as fresh as a daisy when i got off i wasn't in bad condition ( for my age )

Its like tyres, what suits one wont suit another and there is no such thing as a one bike fits all

At 65 I would not tug to hard on the XR throttle, you may find yourself upside down, GS is a more sensible ride for a certain age, XR is like having a RD350 LC when you where a little younger, same madness sensation, although you can ride sensibly on the XR but it feels like a horse being held back, sitting position, and comfort just felt better for me on the GS
A tad ageist and patronising, don’t you think?

You can stand up on the pegs and ride along on most, if not all, motorcycles. Needing to do so on-road on a GS / GSA might well indicate it’s not the comfort machine people claim it to be.

De rigeur for GS/GSA riders, when entering a town......... To indicate that they have travelled many miles that day, and to evoke the ‘gunfighter’ image...

De rigeur for GS/GSA riders, when entering a town......... To indicate that they have travelled many miles that day, and to evoke the ‘gunfighter’ image...

And on entering any Tesco car park. Watch out for any height restrictriction barriers, mates.

Actually, on second thoughts, don’t.

At 65 I would not tug to hard on the XR throttle, you may find yourself upside down, GS is a more sensible ride for a certain age, XR is like having a RD350 LC when you where a little younger, same madness sensation, although you can ride sensibly on the XR but it feels like a horse being held back, sitting position, and comfort just felt better for me on the GS

What’s the maximum age? Just in case some bod of 12 is reading this shite.

My GSA is perfect for me at age 62, 6" 1 inch tall with long legs. I just had to buy a taller screen - a Wunderlich (can't remember the model name).

used to get back pain on the GS and XR when on long journeys, traded for the RR and now can't feel anything after a short time on it other than insane pain in my face from the grin, nah seriously I think I used to slouch on the the GS and XR whereas I am pretty much stretched out on the RR and hence more comfortable.

I’m 58... I’ve just got a new GSA (previously had a 2014 model). It’s the first time in my life that I’ve bought the same bike on the trot. However, I did seriously consider the XR instead. I was very tempted but the thing that put me off is that since I’ve been riding bikes I’ve always had the sportiest types of bikes available, which equates to about 35 years on radical sports bikes. So I’ve done the razzing, road and track, and knew if I got an XR I’d be back to razzing. I know the throttle goes both ways but it’s horses for courses and I’m sure I’d thoroughly enjoy the XR, the GSA is now giving me a whole new motorcycling experience. It wafts along in a calm and effortless way, distance is shortened, it carries luggage, and it’s better in corners than it should be.

I was thinking about getting a second bike - something sportier, but my fear is that it’d just sit in the garage an not get ridden. In the meantime I’m going to make the most of my GSA.

Back
Top Bottom