S1000xr is the GS more comfortable?.

Well guys went to try out a Gs today but when I arrived it had been sold yesterday. Not to waste a relatively long journey I tried out A 2016 GSA . Initially on mounting the bike I was standing on tiptoes but a small adjustment to the seat height solved that. No restriction on time mentioned I had a leisurely ride from Dundee towards Aberdeen taking in a few side roads to test the bike on the twisties. Without a doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and plenty of poke, fantastic handling for a bike that size. Great wind protection and gearbox although no quickshifter which I have got used to on the XR.Great bike. Returning to the dealer and having earlier spied an absolutely immaculate Ducati Multistrada in red with full livery of panniers crash bars etc I couldn’t resist a test drive. Well this was not the bike for me, felt it to be rough in comparison to the GSA and did not handle nearly so well. Sounded great and as powerful as my XR.Probably would need to get used to the engine difference and handling characteristics but comfort wise the GSA easily took the prize. Upshot is Iwill be contacting the dealer tomorrow for a Monday morning pick up of the the GSA.

I own a GS and an XR.

The XR bars are slightly lower and the (HP) seat holds you in one position. But it is quite comfy. The vibes issue has been solved.

But...if I were to do a long trip, I would take the GS.

The GS has more leg room and the seat is softer.

Well guys went to try out a Gs today but when I arrived it had been sold yesterday. Not to waste a relatively long journey I tried out A 2016 GSA . Initially on mounting the bike I was standing on tiptoes but a small adjustment to the seat height solved that. No restriction on time mentioned I had a leisurely ride from Dundee towards Aberdeen taking in a few side roads to test the bike on the twisties. Without a doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden and plenty of poke, fantastic handling for a bike that size. Great wind protection and gearbox although no quickshifter which I have got used to on the XR.Great bike. Returning to the dealer and having earlier spied an absolutely immaculate Ducati Multistrada in red with full livery of panniers crash bars etc I couldn’t resist a test drive. Well this was not the bike for me, felt it to be rough in comparison to the GSA and did not handle nearly so well. Sounded great and as powerful as my XR.Probably would need to get used to the engine difference and handling characteristics but comfort wise the GSA easily took the prize. Upshot is Iwill be contacting the dealer tomorrow for a Monday morning pick up of the the GSA.

Sounds like it is the right bike for you.:thumb2

IIRC you can get the Gear shift Assist pro fitted retrospectively though it won't be as slick as the XR, especially in the lower gears.

I rode the two bikes back to back yesterday - something I don't often do. The XR bars are noticeably lower than the GS.

I’ve just gone back to the GS after 3 fantastic years on the XR. The XR satisfied the sports bike urge in me without the uncomfortable riding position. It will go down in my memory as one of the best bikes i’ve ever owned, but, it’s a full on bike, no compromise. You can’t just go for a relaxed ride as there are 160horses under you saying, come on let’s get going.

It was going to end in jail or a coffin.

I’ve just gone back to the GS after 3 fantastic years on the XR. The XR satisfied the sports bike urge in me without the uncomfortable riding position. It will go down in my memory as one of the best bikes i’ve ever owned, but, it’s a full on bike, no compromise. You can’t just go for a relaxed ride as there are 160horses under you saying, come on let’s get going.

It was going to end in jail or a coffin.

Just swapping my GSA for an XR, found the GSA crude in comparison, XR is a missile but I do have the ability to mellow of the throttle.......................... sometimes. Have had GSes and GSA's off and on for last 10 years, the new one pretty much has a TFT and that's it.
I preferred the XR, after a two hour test ride in the pouring rain I still got of smiling! Having said that, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same, my feelings are its my money I buy what I want, your money you buy what you want.

When making my purchase last year I tried all the contenders in the category bar the KTM SA. I tried the XR sandwiched by rides on a GS. Whilst the XR was fun, as soon as I got back on the GS it felt the right the bike for me.

Looking at the reviews and the forum comments over the past year, it had got me thinking whether I'd given the XR a fair try, especially as when I'm not enjoying my riding, for whatever reason, the GS is a rattly breathless workhorse.

Today I took the XR out for a 2 and half hours blaat while my GS was being serviced. The gearchange is as good as ever, and I hadn't relisted just how superbly flexible the engine is.

Nonetheless, as I returned to the dealer, my feelings were that, for me, four pots are just too busy and the whole sportsbike aspect not really my cup of tea as a mainstay.

What I didn't expect, however, was the wow moment getting back on the GS. Felt hand in glove, and the 40 mile trip back felt like a rapid carpet ride.

Think I've fallen back in love with my GS.

When making my purchase last year I tried all the contenders in the category bar the KTM SA. I tried the XR sandwiched by rides on a GS. Whilst the XR was fun, as soon as I got back on the GS it felt the right the bike for me.

What I didn't expect, however, was the wow moment getting back on the GS. Felt hand in glove, and the 40 mile trip back felt like a rapid carpet ride.

Commonly known as the “Massey Ferguson Moment”.............. :D

I rode both today. The XR is turbine smooth.... you don't need to ride it flat out. It easily pulls a higher gear.

Smooth it may be but it still sounds like it revving it's bollocks off all the time,too frantic for my liking !

Smooth it may be but it still sounds like it revving it's bollocks off all the time,too frantic for my liking !
That's the feeling I was left with also, after a spin on one.

Sent from a U11

Looking at the reviews and the forum comments over the past year, it had got me thinking whether I'd given the XR a fair try, especially as when I'm not enjoying my riding, for whatever reason, the GS is a rattly breathless workhorse.

Today I took the XR out for a 2 and half hours blaat while my GS was being serviced. The gearchange is as good as ever, and I hadn't relisted just how superbly flexible the engine is.

Nonetheless, as I returned to the dealer, my feelings were that, for me, four pots are just too busy and the whole sportsbike aspect not really my cup of tea as a mainstay.

Go and take a 1290SAS out then, as that’s got the power of the XR, and more torque than the GS, so you’ve got the best of both worlds. And it’s as comfortable as the GS, once you fit the PowerParts seats. ;)

Go and take a 1290SAS out then, as that’s got the power of the XR, and more torque than the GS, so you’ve got the best of both worlds. And it’s as comfortable as the GS, once you fit the PowerParts seats. ;)

Shame it just looks shite !

To be fair, this is not just about torque - I'd already noted how flexible the XR was. It's all round: balance, riding position, suspension (telelever), seat comfort, even prefer both the engine sound and exhaust note. But before anybody counters, I'm not saying it's a better bike, as nothing annoys me more than hearing that - it's what works for you.

On the 1290 SA, yeh, it's a shame I didn't get round to testing one. Would have if I'd found more accommodating and interested dealers at the time. Not overly sold on the looks, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. When I'm in the market for a potential new model GS, I'd be mad not to try out the 1290 SA. Also, by then it'll have adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring and driver nearly upyerarse warning technology, which will of course be released on the BMW a year after the new model's release, in-line with their milk-the-customer-until the cows come home policy. Still, it is a massie fergunson after all.

The XR does not have telelever, ffs it has conventional forks. I had one for 3 yrs, brilliant bike, the engine is a peach but it’s full on. Probably the best bike I have ever ridden but I need to calm down, so back to a GS which is still a great bike.

Back
Top Bottom