S1000xr is the GS more comfortable?.

crawfordjohn

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Here is my problem. I’m 63 and currently running a BMW 1000XR which is a fabulous bike but is leaving me in big pain in my hips,back and legs even after a short ride. I have thought of the usual bar risers, peg lowering and comfort seat but wondered if it would be better to change to a GS which I have been told is the ultimate comfort machine. Advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

At 65 next month, the GS is certainly more comfortable for me. Also when I tested an XR, I found it was just asking to be thrashed all the time and with the GS, I have the option to thrash it or be a bit more relaxed.

At 65 next month, the GS is certainly more comfortable for me. Also when I tested an XR, I found it was just asking to be thrashed all the time and with the GS, I have the option to thrash it or be a bit more relaxed.

How does that relate to comfort? He is asking about the ergos on each bike

I found the ergonomics pretty similar, but the GS has a comfier seat and more wind protection

I guess the usual comment applies - take a test ride :thumby:

XR's are awful. Even the new ones. Too vibey, which may be your problem.

That said....I should've thought the ergo's would suit most people. How tall/short are you?

You can't compare the comfort of a GS with that of an XR though. There's a reason why it's sold in billions and it's not just because of Ewen and Charlie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also 63 and, and can say that the GS is the most comfortable bike I have owned, not just ergonomically, but also in terms of allowing an unstressed riding experience, which is at least partly due to suspension, handling and power delivery characteristics, plus I went for the lowered chassis version which allows me to easily flat foot while using a standard height seat in the high position to minimise leg bend. However, even with the GS I have had to make some mods, namely a larger screen, the more comfortable BMW Exclusive seats, plus bar risers. The latter are a recent addition, and have made an unexpectedly big difference to comfort.

It is also not simply a question of your height, as seated height can vary between people of the same overall height. In my case, although I am 6' 1" I have only average legs and a long torso, hence when sitting I found I had to lean a little to reach down to the bars and it turned out that this was just the wrong angle to aggravate an old back problem. I fitted the up and back risers and it has transformed the situation to the point that after a recent 400 mile ride I had not a twinge, and felt like I could easily have gone much further.

Sounds like a nice long GS test ride is in order!

Fred

I am also 63 and, and can say that the GS is the most comfortable bike I have owned, not just ergonomically, but also in terms of allowing an unstressed riding experience, which is at least partly due to suspension, handling and power delivery characteristics, plus I went for the lowered chassis version which allows me to easily flat foot while using a standard height seat in the high position to minimise leg bend. However, even with the GS I have had to make some mods, namely a larger screen, the more comfortable BMW Exclusive seats, plus bar risers. The latter are a recent addition, and have made an unexpectedly big difference to comfort.

It is also not simply a question of your height, as seated height can vary between people of the same overall height. In my case, although I am 6' 1" I have only average legs and a long torso, hence when sitting I found I had to lean a little to reach down to the bars and it turned out that this was just the wrong angle to aggravate an old back problem. I fitted the up and back risers and it has transformed the situation to the point that after a recent 400 mile ride I had not a twinge, and felt like I could easily have gone much further.

Fred

Good to see someone can explain it without nonsense and insults. I have the Exclusive seats too and they are great. Didn't think there was much of a difference at first but then went on a big trip.

John the only thing I can see what makes you uncomfortable is that the XR seat kind of locks you in one position which might be uncomfortable for you.
I would check if there is a more bench-like seat is available for the XR which gives you more room to move to get in a more comfortable seating position.
Put a BMW Rally bench seat on my GS for the same reason and love it !

I just traded my XR for a GSA for 2 reasons.

1. Comfort, the GSA is far more comfortable for me. On the XR my knees and hips would hurt after 20 miles or so. I tried a custom fitted seat. Adjustable foot pegs, air hawk seat pad, bar risers, different screen to no avail. I did 400 miles on the GSA today with no problems at all.

2. Lunatic, the XR just wants you to go faster all the time! Life or license would have been on the line before long.

Might not be your thing but it would be worth trying a R1200RT or a R1200R as well. The R is a great bike but the lack of wind protection might not work for you? A lot of people love the RT but I must say it has never been for me.

Just give them all a try IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At 65 I would not tug to hard on the XR throttle, you may find yourself upside down, GS is a more sensible ride for a certain age, XR is like having a RD350 LC when you where a little younger, same madness sensation, although you can ride sensibly on the XR but it feels like a horse being held back, sitting position, and comfort just felt better for me on the GS

I actually went the other way trading my GS for an XR - is personal opinion of course but I actually witness less back pain on the XR than the GS - but as I said, all personal experience and pains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the gs is a more relaxed and comfortable ride than the XR. I also get some lower back pain on the XR. The XR handles much better and is much quicker but if racing around isn’t what your looking for then the gs is a no brainer.

I've never ridden an XR, but I have sat on one and concluded, that the seat belongs on a KTM

Having said that, my GS came with the (so called) Exclusive/Comfort Seats as standard and I think they're shit as well

Got GSA seats fitted now

I think I'm falling out of love with my BMW

Fred

I think you’re right Fred

I just traded my XR for a GSA for 2 reasons.

1. Comfort, the GSA is far more comfortable for me. On the XR my knees and hips would hurt after 20 miles or so. I tried a custom fitted seat. Adjustable foot pegs, air hawk seat pad, bar risers, different screen to no avail. I did 400 miles on the GSA today with no problems at all.

2. Lunatic, the XR just wants you to go faster all the time! Life or license would have been on the line before long.

Exactly the same symptoms. You may have saved me hundreds of pounds on extras.👍

Hi Guys, Here is my problem. I’m 63 and currently running a BMW 1000XR which is a fabulous bike but is leaving me in big pain in my hips,back and legs even after a short ride. I have thought of the usual bar risers, peg lowering and comfort seat but wondered if it would be better to change to a GS which I have been told is the ultimate comfort machine. Advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

At the age of 63, I’d suggest that you’ve by now learnt to rely less on what you are told and more on what you can find out for yourself.

Nobody here is you, with your big pains after a few miles from riding your current bike. Take a 1200 GS WC out on loan for an extended ride. If you find it more comfortable, consider buying it. You could even think about trying bikes made by other manufacturers or other bikes in the BMW range. Micky, who is older than God, rides 1000’s of miles on his 800 but (like us) he’s not you.

Back
Top Bottom