GSA LC Electronic failure

Doogle

Reaction score
So last October I sold my old oil cooled GSA and upgraded to a 16 plate GSA LC. The bike is immaculate. Like new and I was very pleased. I rode it home from the dealer, and then went out the next day again and soon after that they salted the roads so until last Monday it’s sat in the garage.
On Monday I dragged it out to take it for its fork recall and also an extended ride home from the dealer. Had a spare hour so headed out last night. Got 10 miles from home and filled up with fuel. Went to leave, pressed the button to turn on the keyless ignition which flicked on for a millisecond and then nothing. Completely dead. Total electronic failure. Tried both keys, not even registering that that it couldn’t pick up the key. Completely dead. Then waited 3.5 hours for BMW assist to recover the bike! Both the Friday night I had planned.
Off to the Pyrenees in a couple of weeks on it so had planned to do some miles in the run up. Now will have to wait and see. Not very impressed, 180 miles into ownership and it’s broke. Anyone else had this happen on theirs?
Cheers Dave

+1 on dead battery, and lets wait and see what BMW say before knocking the bike, if its a dead battery, it happens, just need to hook up wrongly the battery tender, and that will be enough, winter without a charge, battery is toast.

I agree - it looks like your battery is shot. You may want to consider buying an Optimate if the bike is going to be stood for a long period.

Had a very similar experience whilst touring the Ardenness a couple of years ago, except I was riding my Super Tenere.

After much panicking and head scratching it turned out to be a loose lead on the battery!

Mike

Had a very similar experience whilst touring the Ardenness a couple of years ago, except I was riding my Super Tenere.

After much panicking and head scratching it turned out to be a loose lead on the battery!

Mike

Yep that happens a lot also...........

Mike

Cheers. This was closest. Positive feed to the battery completely disconnected. It hadn’t fallen off as the screw was still in there. So hadn’t been connected since I had it. Purely luck that the lead had been touching the terminal enabling it to start and then obviously moved when I went to restart.
All back now and sorted. Just wish I had started to investigate rather than waiting 3.5 hours for recovery. :augie

Cheers. This was closest. Positive feed to the battery completely disconnected. It hadn’t fallen off as the screw was still in there. So hadn’t been connected since I had it. Purely luck that the lead had been touching the terminal enabling it to start and then obviously moved when I went to restart.
All back now and sorted. Just wish I had started to investigate rather than waiting 3.5 hours for recovery. :augie

Now if you'd used the thing instead of leaving it untouched in your garage for 5 months, you'd have bowled this out as teething trouble rather than saying "Not very impressed, 180 miles into ownership and it’s broke." You should go out to your bike immediately and seek forgiveness! :D

admission of guilt is accepted, glad you got it sorted........:beerjug:

Ha. No admission of guilt. Still a little disappointing but happy it’s sorted. I didn’t moan about the bike although I was ready too.
Thanks for the responses, they were pretty bang on.
����

Unless the OP is willing to take all the flack, it rather suggests the original PDI wasn't too clever, or they had it disconnected in the shop prior to delivery, leaving some numpty salesperson to do the re-connect.

Like Mike R says, some Super10s are delivered with a loose neg/earth lead. Only slightly mind, just so the fecker can come loose later on.

Unless the OP is willing to take all the flack, it rather suggests the original PDI wasn't too clever, or they had it disconnected in the shop prior to delivery, leaving some numpty salesperson to do the re-connect.

Like Mike R says, some Super10s are delivered with a loose neg/earth lead. Only slightly mind, just so the fecker can come loose later on.

Like a good lawyer would say..............:bow

:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob

Cant' blame anyone but myself for my little dilemma in the Ardenne.

Prior to the trip I'd been disconnected the battery so I could fiddle with the wiring to my spots!

Problems definitely self induced!:blast

Mike:

:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob:rob

Cant' blame anyone but myself for my little dilemma in the Ardenne.

Prior to the trip I'd been disconnected the battery so I could fiddle with the wiring to my spots!

Problems definitely self induced!:blast

Mike:

And self repaired........:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom