A question for those who have fitted alloy wheeels to their 11XXs

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I fitted a set of 1150RT wheels to the Adv this afternoon...

IMG_1453-X2.jpg

I'm fitting them on a trial basis - basically for as long as it takes to get through a set of tyres. If I can live with the way the bike handles (I expect the turn-in to be quicker, due to the change in steering geometry resulting from fitting a 17" wheel), then I will likely make them a permanent fit.

IMG_1454-X2.jpg

One minor issue (if they became a permanent fit) is that I'm not too happy with the aesthetics of the mudguard being too large for the front wheel.

I had a chat with Chad earlier and he suggested that some people may have fitted the front mudguard from an 1150R. Has anyone done this? Looking on eBay for used examples, it would appear that the 1150R mudguard is two-piece, with a black ABS part at the rear and a painted part at the front. Will these just bolt on?

Most advice appreciated... :D

Mike :thumb2

I fitted a set of 1150RT wheels to the Adv this afternoon...

IMG_1453-X2.jpg

I'm fitting them on a trial basis - basically for as long as it takes to get through a set of tyres. If I can live with the way the bike handles (I expect the turn-in to be quicker, due to the change in steering geometry resulting from fitting a 17" wheel), then I will likely make them a permanent fit.

IMG_1454-X2.jpg

One minor issue (if they became a permanent fit) is that I'm not too happy with the aesthetics of the mudguard being too large for the front wheel.

I had a chat with Chad earlier and he suggested that some people may have fitted the front mudguard from an 1150R. Has anyone done this? Looking on eBay for used examples, it would appear that the 1150R mudguard is two-piece, with a black ABS part at the rear and a painted part at the front. Will these just bolt on?

Most advice appreciated... :D

Or an 1100r one, which fitted my 1100gs, you could also consider a boxster or the 1100s ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Did this on a r1200gsa TC using a F800 s mudguard and large stainless P clips.......sorry re poor pics it was the test fit, cost about £35

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 466
Are they all straight bolt-ons? :thumb2
11r did it comes coloured, most have extender at back. 11s possibly, I'll check my mates tomorrow, assuming he remembers were playing bikes. Boxster should and could be cheaper, who wants one ??

The F800 one looks good.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's been said loads before but with these wheels it's very easy for it to roll off the centre stand, a slight nudge from the rear (ooh err Missus) can have it rolling forward and then toppling over:blast, there may be a "fix" but most of the time it's ok just as long as you are aware of it. cheers:beerjug:John B

I'm sure it's been said loads before but with these wheels it's very easy for it to roll off the centre stand, a slight nudge from the rear (ooh err Missus) can have it rolling forward and then toppling over:blast, there may be a "fix" but most of the time it's ok just as long as you are aware of it. cheers:beerjug:John B

Thanks for pointing that potential snag out :thumb2
I tend to use the side stand most of the time. I took it off and put it back on the mainstand a couple of times after fitting the wheels, because I was curious as to whether it would be harder/easier. I couldn’t detect any difference. I’ll try pushing it off the stand tomorrow to check...

Mike

I used spacers to bring mine down a bit and mounted the lower mounts on the caliper with longer bolts and spacers,has worked fine for the last 10 years or so.

Mike,

I have a mudguard that came with a "1150 supermoto kit" i.e. front fender, wheels and bolts.

I'm not using the front mudguard as it doesn't bother me.

Its black at the moment and needs a repaint, I'll try and photograph it tonight if your interested.

Mike,

I have a mudguard that came with a "1150 supermoto kit" i.e. front fender, wheels and bolts.

I'm not using the front mudguard as it doesn't bother me.

Its black at the moment and needs a repaint, I'll try and photograph it tonight if your interested.

Is it one of these..? If it is, your in luck Mike - they are becoming very rare :thumb

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 870
Is it one of these..? If it is, your in luck Mike - they are becoming very rare :thumb

Hi Paul,

I rather think it might be - although it has seen better days. Just reached a very good deal with Lee and look at getting it refurbed and painted when it arrives...

Attachments

• 20180425_191937.jpg
    20180425_191937.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 280
Off topic but did you get your forks powder coated and if so how did you get them through the yokes without scratching?

I powdercoated only the lowers and in the process the bottom half of the fork leaked from the stanchion which is put in at the factory. Found out after the first lap of the Nurburgring!!

Not only have I done myself out of a few quid but I've stiched myself up with the packaging. Its a bastard to wrap!

Back
Top Bottom