First world problems - intermittent iPhone charging

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have an odd intermittent problem charging my iPhone from the accessory socket on my 2108 TB GSA. I’m using one of these Optimate USB chargers:

b6776ae2d3f5367b9f6bf550eec08b1a.jpg

Most of the time it’ll work fine.

But every now and then it’ll just decide not to charge the phone any more and the wee blue light on the Optimate Jobbie flashes in a slight anxious “something’s wrong” kinda way.

Sometimes I get a message on the phone “This accessory is not supported”

I’m guessing it’s some kind of Canbus caper. Anyone else experience this?

It’s very inconvenient when I can’t browse boutique coffee shop locations from a Welsh mountain pass lay-by.

Nin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It could be the 12v to 5 v transformer or electronics inside the unit is becoming faulty and starting to give out spurious results.I cant seem to find a manual right now to see if the error code is relavent to your problem

EDIT This site suggests they have 3 year warrenty if you want to try for a replacement
https://www.webbikeworld.com/tecmate-optimate-o-105-usb-review/

Looks like the flashing light indicates its reading below the 12.3 v and is giving a three hour warning of disconnection. Try cleaning the connections on the device and the socket they could have corrosion causing a high reistant connection.

And it also has an automatic off capability that kicks in three hours after the engine is stopped or if the battery voltage drops below 12.3V, thanks to its built-in sensing/monitoring electronics.

Hi folks

I have an odd intermittent problem charging my iPhone from the accessory socket on my 2108 TB GSA. I’m using one of these Optimate USB chargers:

b6776ae2d3f5367b9f6bf550eec08b1a.jpg

Most of the time it’ll work fine.

But every now and then it’ll just decide not to charge the phone any more and the wee blue light on the Optimate Jobbie flashes in a slight anxious “something’s wrong” kinda way.

Sometimes I get a message on the phone “This accessory is not supported”

I’m guessing it’s some kind of Canbus caper. Anyone else experience this?

It’s very inconvenient when I can’t browse boutique coffee shop locations from a Welsh mountain pass lay-by.

Nin

Are you using a genuine Apple cable? Cheaper aftermarket ones often don’t have the circuitry in them to satisfy Apple’s protective proprietary software...

They shut down at 13.3 volts. Is the bike battery on the fritz ?

Have a look at the lightning connector - is a pin discolored (4th from left both sides)? If it is coloured it is corroded. Clean with electrical cleaner or similar

Attachments

• 04CE2B63-EBE6-4471-A498-8E025E99CDB7.jpg
    04CE2B63-EBE6-4471-A498-8E025E99CDB7.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 375
Thanks fellas - responses in no particular order:

The battery is giving me a consistent 14.1v when the bike is running - need to check what the accessory socket is putting out.

Yes the cable has corrosion - good spot, and it is a genuine Apple job. (Original on the right)

3868981be4bfd70aef405c52d951c13a.jpg

Can’t seem to find anything online that decodes the flashing lights. I’m getting solid blue, when engine is running. Slow flashing blue - sometimes when engine is running, mostly when engine is off, fast flashing blue - only seen when engine was running.

It looks the same as mine, which gives a steady light when charging. Could the socket/contacts need cleaning ?.

Can you try another adapter? I had a similar issue with a house adapter. The lead was ok but when the adapter was in use the screen would freeze and sometimes jump for no reason. It seemed to be putting out too much power. Normal service was resumed by using a different adapter. JJH

Something else to check it the charging hole on the iPhone, fluff gets into there, and is compressed every time you put the charge cable in. After a while it can accumulate a decent amount of compressed material.

Do you ever have problems with charging at home, or just on the bike.

Check and if you think it needs attention, then carefully.... take a small paper clip open up one end, and gently rake the bottom of the slot, and lift any loose debris out. If you do any damage, it is operator error, and not any dodgy advice :rolleyes:

Something else to check it the charging hole on the iPhone, fluff gets into there, and is compressed every time you put the charge cable in. After a while it can accumulate a decent amount of compressed material.

Do you ever have problems with charging at home, or just on the bike.

Check and if you think it needs attention, then carefully.... take a small paper clip open up one end, and gently rake the bottom of the slot, and lift any loose debris out. If you do any damage, it is operator error, and not any dodgy advice :rolleyes:

I know your advice is well meaning but do not use a paper clip or anything metallic. Try a cocktail stick. JJH

An update - thanks for all the comments and advice. Changing the cable for one without a corroded 4th element seems to have done the job.

Cheers all

I had one of those Optimate chargers until recently. It did exactly as you describe after a few months of trouble free operation. It has corroded inside and was clearly not weatherproof after all. I've binned it and replaced it with something else and all is now well.

I had one of those Optimate chargers until recently. It did exactly as you describe after a few months of trouble free operation. It has corroded inside and was clearly not weatherproof after all. I've binned it and replaced it with something else and all is now well.
A squirt of wd40 (or if you have some contact cleaner lying around) once in a while and all will be well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interestingly I have a different double USB socket which has worked great until today. There is nothing wrong with the cable as I used it tonight inside.

It’s possible that I’m using more power when using the phone as a Satnav than bike delivers or the Din/USB adapter is failing.

Back
Top Bottom