Front brake problem ?

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will take to local dealer, as still in warranty, but wondered if anyone else has had similar. As I'm applying front brake all is well until the fraction of a second before the bike stops. As the brake grabs it feels as if there is a cm or so of give as the wheel stop turning. Almost as if the calliper is slightly moving. Have wiggled the calliper by hand and all seems solid. I did wonder if a cracked pad could cause this maybe. It was in for its 12,000 mls service about 600 miles ago and can't recall it being like this before.

Try grabbing your disks and moving them back and forth in the same plane as the wheel rotation. There's usually some play in the disk bobbins. OTOH, are you sure it isn't the rear brake 'clacking' on its own - mine does that, just before the bike is stationary. Mind you, I've not noticed it since I stopped using the rear brake (on account of the stupid amount of pedal travel).

I've had the exact same thing, in fact I thought my discs or callipers were lose... after I realised its the way the bakes were working, I could not work out if it was grabbing or letting go?
But, what I did find is that my rear brake pedal was stopping on the frame, so not allowing the rear cylinder to go fully home... so I’ve adjusted the screw on the rear pedal push rod so the pedal sits 1mm off the frame when it pulls back up, so its stopped within the cylinder.
Having done this, I’ve not noticed the front wheel thing anymore?

I have also bled the rear brake as the pedal moved far too much, and it’s now better at 20mm movement... it was binding before, and is still doing it slightly now.. But it could also have been the bleeding that helped as the systems are linked...

I’d have a look at your rear pedal and see what it sits on at rest... if it’s the frame, adjust it on the U screw so its 1mm clear and see if that does anything...

You’re not going mad.. it is happening... I could not work out on mine if it was happening or it was me for ages... also get a click from under the tank sometimes having been stopped for a few seconds.. think this is something in the brake valve block?

Interesting to know if you have rear brake binding issues also.

I've had the exact same thing, in fact I thought my discs or callipers were lose... after I realised its the way the bakes were working, I could not work out if it was grabbing or letting go?
But, what I did find is that my rear brake pedal was stopping on the frame, so not allowing the rear cylinder to go fully home... so I’ve adjusted the screw on the rear pedal push rod so the pedal sits 1mm off the frame when it pulls back up, so its stopped within the cylinder.
Having done this, I’ve not noticed the front wheel thing anymore?

I have also bled the rear brake as the pedal moved far too much, and it’s now better at 20mm movement... it was binding before, and is still doing it slightly now.. But it could also have been the bleeding that helped as the systems are linked...

I’d have a look at your rear pedal and see what it sits on at rest... if it’s the frame, adjust it on the U screw so its 1mm clear and see if that does anything...

You’re not going mad.. it is happening... I could not work out on mine if it was happening or it was me for ages... also get a click from under the tank sometimes having been stopped for a few seconds.. think this is something in the brake valve block?

Interesting to know if you have rear brake binding issues also.

Mmm. funny you mention rear brake binding. At the service about 600 miles ago I got a phone call from dealer saying my back brake was binding and would I authorise, and pay, for it to be stripped, cleaned and reassembled. I agreed off course so makes me a little cynical considering your post that they did it, or did it properly.

Will call the dealer tomorrow and book it in for them to look at and let you know what they find.

Thanks

Try grabbing your disks and moving them back and forth in the same plane as the wheel rotation. There's usually some play in the disk bobbins. OTOH, are you sure it isn't the rear brake 'clacking' on its own - mine does that, just before the bike is stationary. Mind you, I've not noticed it since I stopped using the rear brake (on account of the stupid amount of pedal travel).

Believed it was front as can also feel a slight knock, vibration through the grips on full stop but as the other poster that's two of you mentioned the rears.

Have you ever tried to adjust your rear brake pedal to get it up a bit IYKWIM ;) could someone else of tried before you (or did you buy new)... worth a check... when the rear pedal comes to rest, there should be a 1mm gap (or a gap anyway) between the pedal and the frame... if its hitting the frame, it may be stoping the piston bottoming out in the cylinder which causes all sorts of issues... just check there is a gap :)

no metal collar, but maybe they sorted it by 2015?... sorry.. thread hi-jack....

have you measured your gap yet Wonky

Have you ever tried to adjust your rear brake pedal to get it up a bit IYKWIM ;) could someone else of tried before you (or did you buy new)... worth a check... when the rear pedal comes to rest, there should be a 1mm gap (or a gap anyway) between the pedal and the frame... if its hitting the frame, it may be stoping the piston bottoming out in the cylinder which causes all sorts of issues... just check there is a gap :)

Am I struggling getting it up, you bet but that's my age:D. Will have a look at this and see. Thanks

Has the fork recall been carried out? JJH

Yes at the same service. That's kind of what it feels like, similar to something moving a fraction of a second after the brake fully bites and stops the bike.

Back
Top Bottom