Rear brake binding a little?

yes.. but like I say.. cold when I set off.. didn't brake in 3 miles... stopped using the engine / gears.... so no brakes at all...not even front... and the caliper was warm.. the disc hot?... can only be friction as they are not coming right off?.

Had the same - significant movement of the pedal. Did the same as you - adjusted the push rod until there very little play, but making sure that it was 'floating' and no pressure on the master cylinder. Took it for a run and it started to bind, with the caliper getting very hot - too hot to touch.

In the end I backed it off a half turn at a time until it was pretty much where I started - anything more and it would bind.

No idea why as I am 100% confident there was never any preload on the pushrod before setting off.

My mates GS is the same.

But the problem is, there is no load on the rod as all.. in fact I've adjusted it off that much, when you feel the pin in the rod.. the piston bottoms out and the pin goes to the other side of the hole and starts to pull it IFKWIM.. is it can't be any more 'OFF'... Take it out.. don't even touch the brakes... and its still rubbing a bit!!.. Warm caliper and hot disc?....
May have another go at freeing up the pads tonight.. thinking about it, the sort of hook in... will put some more copper slip on where they hook....

But the problem is, there is no load on the rod as all.. in fact I've adjusted it off that much, when you feel the pin in the rod.. the piston bottoms out and the pin goes to the other side of the hole and starts to pull it IFKWIM.. is it can't be any more 'OFF'..

Same as me - I have no idea how it would bind, but it did.

Just back it off to where you started and accept that there is significant play.

The only time it had little movement (without binding) was when it came back from having the engine replaced - didn't last long before the play was back!

Its back to where it was... and still problems.. will re-clean and grease where the pads hook in tonight.. they way they fit does not really promote sideways action...

I'd like one.. but thats too expensive as I get VAT back its more than a new one.. and with no warranty

Cheers for the link, but it is more expensive than the Wunderlich one.

Weird...

Here's my order confirmation from last year.

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x GS-911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostics (GS-911-WIFI) = 274,59GBP[excl.VAT, plus Shipping]
Variant Hobby, 10-VIN-Limit
Sub-Total: 274,59GBP
Shipping Incoterm CIP with net price (Payment and shipping with net price, the local VAT is collected on delivery. GB, 0.35 kg): 4,17GBP Payment Method Costs: 6,69GBP Invoice Total: 285,44GBP

I paid the £285.44 as there was a £6.69 credit card surcharge.

Weird...

Here's my order confirmation from last year.

Products
1 x GS-911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostics (GS-911-WIFI) = 274,59GBP[excl.VAT, plus Shipping]
Variant Hobby, 10-VIN-Limit
Sub-Total: 274,59GBP
Shipping Incoterm CIP with net price (Payment and shipping with net price, the local VAT is collected on delivery. GB, 0.35 kg): 4,17GBP Payment Method Costs: 6,69GBP Invoice Total: 285,44GBP

I paid the £285.44 as there was a £6.69 credit card surcharge.

They must have had a deal on, pity I missed it............:beerjug:

It's just been suggested to me that the rod that goes into the piston actually screws in and out of it?.. any ideas if this is true?
If it does, I've been screwing this in and out to get the 1mm gap.. TBH I though it just rotated in there?

Sure it can't screw into the piston as it screws into the U clip thing.. unless you have to adjust this off?... home now so will have a look

while i don't have a 12 , i have 1150
last week rr brake coming on on it's own !
new seals in caliper fixed it .

You were lucky. Geezer I know had the front brake on his new KTM SuperDuke GT apply itself automatically, tipped him over the bars into a ditch. When both he and the bike were finally repaired, he sold it. Before that, he had a Multistrada with keyless ignition which would start itself; once when locked away in his garage. Bologna never found out why. He's now got a new 1260 Mutlistrada which has started leaking oil... He's jinxed. Only explanation.

Ok.. just had the piston off, rubber gaiter off and looked in... Its not screwed onto it in any way.. so its just a push rod that pushes up the piston...will be like a knuckle joint I guess... all the adjustment is done on the U...
re-set to 1-1.5mm gap pedal to frame....

Back
Top Bottom