Alarm fob battery dies in 2 weeks x lots.... am I doing something wrong?

tornadof3

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, the alarm fob for my 2008 R1200GSA [which looks like this: BMW-K1300S-K1300-11-Retrofit-Antitheft-Alarm-System-_1.jpg] seems to go through batteries at an alarming rate; I seem to be changing it every 10 days - 2 weeks. It doesn't seem to give much of a warning of running low, it just stops working but works perfectly again once battery is changed. Could anything be causing it to discharge like this?

I can think of three possible reasons, would appreciate guidance/advice if anyone has any experience of this:

1. *something* is communicating with the fob, causing it to transmit and thus drain [I don't see the red light flash unless I push the button]
  2. I'm using the wrong battery which is why it discharges so quickly: I am using CR2032 batteries which appear to fit perfectly.
  3. the batch of CR2032 batteries I've got are faulty and hence why they keep failing (but I had a slightly different batch too before the present lot...)

any thoughts?

Can’t help much other than few observations,
Yes 2032 is correct size.
I don’t use my fob and haven’t used the alarm for years bar maybe once or twice when leaving it in “town”. I changed he original battery out last week-not because the light wasn’t flashing red but it did flash brighter after swap.
Both fobs same for me, have you checked your second fob?
Buy some good quality batteries from another source, eliminate shiny cells from the equation.
Check inside of fob is dry and clean

dont leave your keys any where near a microwave too,also could be shite batteries try a duracell

So, the alarm fob for my 2008 R1200GSA [which looks like this: View attachment 372086] seems to go through batteries at an alarming rate; I seem to be changing it every 10 days - 2 weeks. It doesn't seem to give much of a warning of running low, it just stops working but works perfectly again once battery is changed. Could anything be causing it to discharge like this?

I can think of three possible reasons, would appreciate guidance/advice if anyone has any experience of this:

1. *something* is communicating with the fob, causing it to transmit and thus drain [I don't see the red light flash unless I push the button]
  2. I'm using the wrong battery which is why it discharges so quickly: I am using CR2032 batteries which appear to fit perfectly.
  3. the batch of CR2032 batteries I've got are faulty and hence why they keep failing (but I had a slightly different batch too before the present lot...)

any thoughts?

Sometimes you get a bit of grime in between the buttons, give it a good clean

All sound like good suggestions, will implement and see if it improves, cheers

Leave it in with your bike documents for the next owner to faff with.
Nobody takes any notice of bike alarms so why bother carrying yet another lump of crap with your keys?
Get a reasonable weight lock and chain. No need to go mad as a disc cutter will have a Cunard anchor chain almost as fast as a £50 Motrax.

Back
Top Bottom