Zumo - powering options ?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally got around to getting the Zumo on the bike ;)

Bracketry is in, the mount will be on later this week, then comes the fun part - power!

i know the GS is fussy aboul loads applied to the Bus system,

So i thought of the following options ..

Power direct from battery, ( only downside always a live mount)

Power from the light or other ignition switched +ve feed.

I have found a relay sitting to the right of the headstock, i'm guessing this is part of power to accessiories

I also found a spare small plug round the back of the headstock tucked in near the FPC

it has 3 wires going in and is a rounded oblong type shape??

The other option i had was to wire to a BMW poer plug, and plug it in by the seat...

I'd rather have it on a switched live -

Any guides, or general tips on how to do this :)

Im guessing thats the lead thats been tucked in by the FPC on my bike

The lead is 3 wire and i'm sure the zumo cable i have is only 2 wire i'm guessing its just + and -

My 590 is straight off the battery (my 550 was also) no power issues, its been that way since i bought the bike in 2011 it never drained the battery.

While its been stated to me before that the cradle is live, i cannot see what can be drawing current if the Zumo is not present.

I bought an old Zumo 400 on here a few weeks ago, just to have a play with really. I wired the mount direct to the battery on my 1200ST, the live side has an inline fuse in a waterproof holder. Having read about the possibility of a drain on the battery from the mount, I fully charged it and then measured the drop over a week, and then over a second week, without having used the bike at all. I can't remember the figures now, but suffice to say that at the end of the two-week trial, although there was a measurable drop in voltage, the battery fired the bike up first time and it didn't sound any slower turning over than it usually does! :) It occurred to me that, had I been worried about a flat battery, the simple solution would be to pull the fuse when the bike wasn't being used.

Pete

Just been out with a multimeter and some pins ;)

At ignition off there is 0.20 - 0.30 at the plug

Brown & Red/White give +12.4V when the ignition is energised dropping to 0.3 some 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off

The 3rd wire and Brown gives +10.4V when the ignition is energised dropping to 0.2 some 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off.

So thats the switched live sorted

Bit pricy for a plug & and a bit of wire though :eek:

My 590 is straight off the battery (my 550 was also) no power issues, its been that way since i bought the bike in 2011 it never drained the battery.

While its been stated to me before that the cradle is live, i cannot see what can be drawing current if the Zumo is not present.

Ah well, speaking from experience, the world is a wonderful place while everything is working as it should. If the mount decides to develop a fault its a different bag of worms. Typically with a short of some sort across the contacts, perhaps a little too much water etc, is enough to drain the battery down overnight to about 10 volts, making it marginal for that first start of the day. Better to be part of the switched network, easiest option is to buy a ready-made cable to plug n` play.

I'll ring my friendly parts man in the morning and get a quote

Lead arrived, and tried :)

all works, athough the plug seems reluctant to lock - but it goes in and powers the Zumo

Next job to fit it to the screen mount and run the wires

Back
Top Bottom