Final Drive Breather Plug

midnight runner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having read yesterday’s post (now closed) about the mystery breather plug I notice mine is also missing.

My question is as well as allowing water in will it also cause oil to leak out. I noticed when I cleaned rear wheel recently It was splattered with oil and I couldn’t work out where it had come from. I put it down to having ridden over some oil on the road.

Any advice appreciated.

I think it’s likely to have come from the FD. There should be 180ml in there but you’d have to drain it into a measure to find out.

We need some clever engineering minded type to fabricate a bunch of high level breather set-ups for us. One that stays put. Lets us fill the FD to the level of the fill hole, and facilitates puddle jumping for those that will :D

Interestingly Touratech couldn’t find the reason why Germany were telling them that their kit fits the LC when there is no way of connecting the high level kit.

I had the Cardan Ventilation tube from TT mounted on my previous GSA LC. Sat there well fixed. No problem. I even had trouble removing it prior to trade in, damaging the rubber seal of the tube.

Installation was simple: remove the breather plug from the FD, insert one end of the ventilation tube in the FD, put the breather plug on the other end of the tube and attach the tube to the frame, using the zip ties.

EQ3a1qa.jpg

Having read yesterday’s post (now closed) about the mystery breather plug I notice mine is also missing.

My question is as well as allowing water in will it also cause oil to leak out. I noticed when I cleaned rear wheel recently It was splattered with oil and I couldn’t work out where it had come from. I put it down to having ridden over some oil on the road.

Any advice appreciated.

What year bikes seem to be losing their breather plugs...............

I hope I’ve not caused any confusion.

I also found the same plug as mentioned in the previous thread and couldn’t see where it was from. I then noticed oil splattered on my wheel and mudsling and then read the aforementioned thread.

Putting 2 + 2 together I presumed it was connected. I also can’t find where mine should go. I’ll have another look this evening after work and report back.

Apologies for any lack of clarity on my part.

I hope I’ve not caused any confusion.

I also found the same plug as mentioned in the previous thread and couldn’t see where it was from. I then noticed oil splattered on my wheel and mudsling and then read the aforementioned thread.

Putting 2 + 2 together I presumed it was connected. I also can’t find where mine should go. I’ll have another look this evening after work and report back.

Apologies for any lack of clarity on my part.

Will be interesting, I looked everywhere cannot see that damn thing on my bike

Very difficult to see without removing the rear wheel but if you feel behind where I have stuck a yellow spot in the pic below, you should be able to feel it.

IMG_0039-L.jpg

Very difficult to see without removing the rear wheel but if you feel behind where I have stuck a yellow spot in the pic below, you should be able to feel it.

IMG_0039-L.jpg

Cheers mate, mine is there, no wonder I could not see it, specsavers appointment booked...........:blast

Well not seeing the closed thread I'm intrigued what we are talking about but I seem to have mine in place as I can feel a rubber cover or similar in the spot indicated.

What use would that kit be Shakey..........:confused::confused: just found my answer.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Fin...-Kit-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2010-on-Oil-Water-Cooled

Well, I'm not one to go doing water crossings but I believe there is also a potential issue with this final drive if you ignore the service instructions and follow the old custom of filling to the bottom of the filler hole. I understand that if you do this then a little oil can escape through the breather.

BMW's answer to this is to limit the fill to 180ml but (in my opinion) this may result in a little condensation due to the larger volume of air inside.

I'd rather be able to put plenty of oil in there and the breather tube kit would mean I wouldn't risk getting oil anywhere on the back wheel.

Is it a problem worth spending £56 on? I'm not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom