stop n go puncture repair

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
got a puncture yesterday in my 260 mile old rear tyre

fixed it at the side of the road with my Stop n go mushroom type repair kit and airman pump

if anyone else has these it would be best to have a practice on an old tyre at home before packing it in the bike, or at least least read the instructions. it was interesting with 3 of us reading the instructions and debating what was in the pencil case wallet

overall cracking bit of kit, (so was the airman), puncture repaired and going in 15 minutes, my 2 colleagues have ordered a kit each within an hour of getting home they were so impressed.

But can the tyre be repaired properly afterwards or are people happy to leave this as the permanent repair

i have been using it a while, and similarly friends bought instantly the first time they saw it in action.

i left the repair in place and ran the tyre until it’s tread was done, a further 4 or 5k.

it has also been used to repair the 32” all terrain tyre on my discovery, which is also still fine. i did have to cut out a chunk of tread with a stanley blade to get the applicator in far enough tho!

wouldn’t be without it.

got a puncture yesterday in my 260 mile old rear tyre
But can the tyre be repaired properly afterwards or are people happy to leave this as the permanent repair

Whether the tyre can be repaired will depend (as always) on where the puncture is. The Stop 'n' Go repair itself shouldn't cause any additional damage meaning that an otherwise repairable puncture is now unrepairable.

As for leaving it in there, I guess it depends on your type of riding and attitude to risk. If it's in the front tyre, I;d be straight round to the tyre place. If it's in the rear, unless I was heading to the track, I'd probably leave it if it seems to be holding. I did 1,500 miles across southern Spain a couple of years ago with a sticky-string roadside repair with no issue whatsoever.

BTW + 1 for SnG - top bit of kit, once you figure out how all the bits work!

I've used my stop N go a few times over the years and always left the plug in place until the tyre wore out.
Including my old Mercedes estate.

that would have been a cunning plan, although I didn't intend to actually get a puncture

as noted in the video, make sure you have a set of pliers also

Nobody plans a puncture..............:augie:augie but you can plan a repair, leatherman is your friend sometimes

I've used my stop N go a few times over the years and always left the plug in place until the tyre wore out.
Including my old Mercedes estate.

Ditto....

Except for the Mercedes estate. I ain't rich enough for one of those.:D

So where is the cheapest place to get a plug n go kit with some CO2 canisters so I don't have to spring a small fortune for a pump?

Thanks

James

on a side note googled them and they are £135, what a rip off, bet the Lidl ones are as good for £5

I bet they're not every bit as good, and I bet the Lidl ones don't have a no-questions-asked lifetime guarantee. I'm on my second (replaced my first for free by Leatherman when it broke), and a friend of mine is on his 6th or 7th - again, no questions asked.

So where is the cheapest place to get a plug n go kit with some CO2 canisters so I don't have to spring a small fortune for a pump?

Thanks

James
A hand pump isn't a small fortune. I have one of these: https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/mini-pumps/248-mini-morph-. It cost about €30. It is a bit slow to pump a completely flat tyre but I used it to inflate a newly fitted rear tyre, including seating the bead. I was exhausted afterwards, but I wanted to see if I could do it, in case I ever needed to on the side of the road. It's also small enough to fit into my Touratech toolbox.

Bought one of these to take to france as last year in spain one of us had a rather costly puncture! But at the weekend i had a couple of scrap track tyres to remove for somebody so thought i would have a practice on them first. I was really impressed- first attempt and an airtight seal. definately something to keep on the bike.

Just a heads up for some of the older generation that like the Glue based repair kits, replace your glue every year, so as to not be surprised when you need it, that it is not dried up..................:rob

Thanks

James

the airman pump was only £20 and was very quick to inflate the tyre

I also carry co2 cannisters, A few of us ordered them in reasonable bulk from a catering supply firm, apparently they are used in cream dispensers. Much cheaper supposedly.

I also carry co2 cannisters, A few of us ordered them in reasonable bulk from a catering supply firm, apparently they are used in cream dispensers. Much cheaper supposedly.

Whipped cream coming out of tyres at next puncture.............:green gri

show me the door.........

I remember when Wilkinson were selling airman pumps for £6, posted in ukgser in the bargain section, ukgsers cleared the shelves if I remember the thread correctly.. Think I have one in every car and on every bike plus a couple of spare airman on the shelf :D

Beauty of a air pump is you get multi goes at the the puncture and more likely to get it up factory pressure. Downside they are bulky. I keep mine in a drybag zip tied to the inside of my adventure spec crash bars.

Beauty of a air pump is you get multi goes at the the puncture and more likely to get it up factory pressure. Downside they are bulky. I keep mine in a drybag zip tied to the inside of my adventure spec crash bars.

yes prefer it myself

we stopped, decided the wheel was a flat, talked a bit, phoned those who were ahead to come back etc etc, so now it was really flat

so blew it up with the airman, drove to a safer spot and fixed it

fixed it at the side of the road with my Stop n go mushroom type repair kit and airman pump

So being a cheap scape - where is the cheapest place to get this combo? I have tried to find it, but the best I can find is: http://www.tyrerepairkits.co.uk/stop-n-go-c-6/page/1/sort/3a at £28.31 with £4 shipping = £32

and: http://www.airman-uk.com/OrderRetrievev2.aspx?CatalogueID=0 @ £23 posted for the air man tour.

So £55 all in, not cheap?

Also there is an option with the air man for tyre repair liquid - any good?

Thanks

James

Back
Top Bottom