Swiss alps - FIRST WEEK OF JULY

aksel13

Reaction score
Hi chaps.

I am heading to the Swiss alps in first week of July. It'll be London to dusseldorf. I booked the motorrail. The next morning will be in innsbruck where the fun starts. And making my trip towards UK bound via the Swiss passes.

I just wanted to ask that is it reasonable if I make 2 passes per day and is it easy to make it. I only have 6 days to spend in the region and I don't intend to discover every single pass as not enough time for it.

The other question is how easy to find place in campsites in July as I know its high season in europe. I am planning to do tent camping and only need a pitch but not sure if space would be available in that time of the year.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you do two Swiss passes in a day?

It will depend - to some degree or another - on the following, which is not a complete list of variables:

What time you start / stop

How often you stop enroute

How fast you ride

How far apart the two passes are from each other

We did 18 or 19 passes in a day in the Dolomites. Some bods might only do one.

The easy answer is, of course you can but Switzerland is a comparatively big country, so you’ll maybe need to plot your route out (at least roughly) on a map. Have a look at the Swiss sticky at the top of this section for ideas. It has north / south / east / west suggestions and a circular route, all designed to cater exactly for what you are probably trying to do.

As to the latter question? If you don’t yet know where you’ll be each night, I should imagine it will make booking in advance a tricky procedure. Work out roughly where you hope to be and then see what campsites might be around there. Then consider booking, if you feel it best to. This site might be handy:

https://m.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/campsites.html

We did the Grossglockner, Plocken pass, Jaufen and Timmelsjoch and Oetz valley on one day and the next day did the Silveretta, Oberalp, Furka, Grimsel and Susten Passes , it is dependant on weather and more importantly the day of the week .

On a fine weekend the roads will be jampacked and progress greatly impeded by camper vans , old farts scared of hills and suicidal cyclists and motorcyclists .

When we hit the Susten it was 6.00 pm mid week and we didn't see another vehicle

Can you do two Swiss passes in a day?

It will depend - to some degree or another - on the following, which is not a complete list of variables:

What time you start / stop

How often you stop enroute

How fast you ride

How far apart the two passes are from each other

We did 18 or 19 passes in a day in the Dolomites. Some bods might only do one.

The easy answer is, of course you can but Switzerland is a comparatively big country, so you’ll maybe need to plot your route out (at least roughly) on a map. Have a look at the Swiss sticky at the top of this section for ideas. It has north / south / east / west suggestions and a circular route, all designed to cater exactly for what you are probably trying to do.

As to the latter question? If you don’t yet know where you’ll be each night, I should imagine it will make booking in advance a tricky procedure. Work out roughly where you hope to be and then see what campsites might be around there. Then consider booking, if you feel it best to. This site might be handy:

https://m.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/campsites.html
Absolutely agree. I have done my pass maps but don't think I can do all of them so I have to cut a few of them. I plan it to be max 100 miles distance between passes eventough it will be less than this and I plan to make it more pleasurly rather than progressive.
Once I decide which passes then I am gonna have idea to where to stop overnight and can book a campsite. But just wanted to ask of anyone had hard times to find a place in camp sites when they turned up without booking.

Absolutely agree. I have done my pass maps but don't think I can do all of them so I have to cut a few of them. I plan it to be max 100 miles distance between passes eventough it will be less than this and I plan to make it more pleasurly rather than progressive.
Once I decide which passes then I am gonna have idea to where to stop overnight and can book a campsite. But just wanted to ask of anyone had hard times to find a place in camp sites when they turned up without booking.

OK, great. Your Swiss routes will sort themselves out. That’s your first question answered.
That just leaves bods to advise you on the delights and logistics of camping in Switzerland

I have created you a separate thread in the camping section to hopefully help you get you closer towards deciding whether to book:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...land-in-early-July-2018?p=5050585#post5050585

Wow, 2 passes a day - most folk could manage that on foot.

I am helping a buddy plan a much shorter trip, he has two days riding out of an Andermatt base and will ride 8 passes in those two days, several of them more than once (both ways) making a total of 14 passes ridden during the two days, an average of 7 per day.

It is very easy to take in 4+ passes in a day, another example is you could ride over the Gavia, Stelvio, Offen, Fluella, Albula and Julier in a single day.

I personally think you can ride most of the "famous" Swiss passes in the time you have available, plus many more.

PS: Innsbruck is in Austria

Wow, 2 passes a day - most folk could manage that on foot.

I am helping a buddy plan a much shorter trip, he has two days riding out of an Andermatt base and will ride 8 passes in those two days, several of them more than once (both ways) making a total of 14 passes ridden during the two days, an average of 7 per day.

It is very easy to take in 4+ passes in a day, another example is you could ride over the Gavia, Stelvio, Offen, Fluella, Albula and Julier in a single day.

I personally think you can ride most of the "famous" Swiss passes in the time you have available, plus many more.

PS: Innsbruck is in Austria
That's how I thought Also but always good to hear from hands on experiences. And I don't intend to get myself knackered by riding 10 hours everyday. It's a pleasure trip.
Thanks for the tip about innsbruck location that's where motorrail terminates. Good spot to start your trip.

You might like to check your dates.

The thread title says 18 July but the text thereafter reads, ‘first week of July’

You might like to check your dates.

The thread title says 18 July but the text thereafter reads, ‘first week of July’
It was meant July 2018.

If in doubt plan on a 30mph average speed, allow for more stop time than you might take riding at home - I aim for @5 hours riding (150 - 160 Miles) in the mountains, this leaves plenty of time to enjoy the day, take pics, admire the views from the tops of passes, take pictures, find accommodation etc.

Hi aksel13,

I guess you can see the problem.

You have asked two separate only remotely connected questions in one post, being:

1. Whether it's possible for you to ride two Swiss passes in a day? That question has been answered to your satisfaction and you are working on your routes across Switzerland from Innsbruck, Austria (where the train from Duseldorf discharges its passengers) and onto home again. In addition, Rasher has kindly given you a reasonably accurate guide as to timings in post 13.

2. Whether it's a good idea to book Swiss campsites? I've created you a separate thread in the camping section, just for this question alone. If you are not careful, you'll get well intentioned lists of campsites in this thread which may well be all but useless - as they don’t answer your question as to whether it’s a good idea to book - and useless if you are nowhere near the sites they suggest, as you are still plotting your routes.

I suggest I close this thread, cutting two posts - Khulu's post with campsite ideas and Gadget's Andermatt campsite suggestion, neither if which answer your question as to whether you should pre-book but are otherwise good suggestions on where to camp - into the separate camping thread. That way you'll hopefuly have both questions answered efficiently.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/480252-Switzerland-in-early-July-2018

Richard

Hi aksel13,

I guess you can see the problem.

You have asked two separate only remotely connected questions in one post, being:

1. Whether it's possible for you to ride two Swiss passes in a day? That question has been answered to your satisfaction and you are working on your routes across Switzerland from Innsbruck, Austria (where the train from Duseldorf discharges its passengers) and onto home again. In addition, Rasher has kindly given you a reasonably accurate guide as to timings in post 13.

2. Whether it's a good idea to book Swiss campsites? I've created you a separate thread in the camping section, just for this question alone. If you are not careful, you'll get well intentioned lists of campsites in this thread which may well be all but useless if you are nowhere near the sites, as you are still plotting your routes.

I suggest I close this thread, cutting two posts - Khulu's post with campsite ideas and Gadget's Andermatt campsite suggestion - into the separate camping thread. That way you'll hopefuly have both questions answered efficiently.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/480252-Switzerland-in-early-July-2018

Richard
Hi.
I don't see any problem in the thread. Question needs answers and I have asked my concerned questions to people who has experience. That's why we are here. Helping each other. No matter if questions need to be related.
Thanks for the interest by the way but please don't hijack anyone else's thread in the future.

I really thought I was helping you but hey, if you are happy, that’s great, mate.

Enjoy your holiday wherever it is you go and how ever you decide to do it.

Richard

PS Somebody will eventually get around to answering your second question, I guess. Which was:

How easy is it to find campsites / should you book your campsites in advance or just turn up?

Any ideas on the advisability or otherwise of pre-booking Swiss camping sites, first week in July 2018, bikermate? Great if you have. Bod’s holiday ‘n all that. Time is ticking.

I really thought I was helping you but hey, if you are happy, that’s great, mate.

Enjoy your holiday wherever it is you go and how ever you decide to do it.

Richard

PS Somebody will eventually get around to answering your second question, I guess. Which was:

How easy is it to find campsites / should you book your campsites in advance or just turn up?

.....and not one sarcy comment, which was slightly disappointing. Hey ho.

.....and not one sarcy comment, which was slightly disappointing. Hey ho.

There’s a ‘k’ in sarky :augie

:beerjug:

Now, back on track:

asel13, your question as to whether to pre-book Swiss campsites in the first week of July 2018 is, at last, being answered in the camping section. I’ve had to prod some of the correspondents a bit with a stick but eventually they got around to sharing their intimate views. That’s your two questions answered. The answers could all be wrong of course but hey, that’s life. Enjoy your holiday, when it comes.

Back
Top Bottom