Hydration for a Pillion Passenger?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'll be taking my dad as pillion down to Greece in June and wondered if anyone had any tips for pillion hydration. There's a top box on the back, so I don't think a Camelbak backpack style will work with that in place. Any other solutions out there folks have used?

Obviously yes I know you can stop and drink, yada yada.

Cheers :thumb

Put / strap the Camel back onto the top box or pannier. If necessary extend the tube length, using food grade tubing. All easily done. How do I know and how do I know that it works? Because I did just that on my 1200 GS and on other bikes (awesome and not so awesome)

he could put the camelback on his front for himself...

The extension thing looks to be a winner, perhaps with the bag mounted to the pannier. Ta :thumb

I'd rather not him wear it on the front as it'll be a nuisance, same as I think if I wear it on my back and he use it.

The bottle thing is an option but it's finding a place to store it, rather than holding onto it for hours on end.

I agree, either on or in the top box if you’re happy to drill a hole, easy over the shoulder job. My Camelback sits in the tank bag.

The extension thing looks to be a winner, perhaps with the bag mounted to the pannier. Ta :thumb

Jolly good.

One tip. Never be tempted to put fizzy water into a Camelback. There again, if it ain't you that's drinking it.....

Will he have a catheter fitted as well? You will reduce the drink stops but get him nagging you to stop for a piss every half hour...

Will he have a catheter fitted as well? You will reduce the drink stops but get him nagging you to stop for a piss every half hour...

Yes, he does :thumb

So, just so we know, what is it about that which doesn't work?

Because we'll be riding around Greece in the summer. Not around Croydon. Make sense now perhaps? Or do you need more information? Just let me know if that's a bit difficult for you :thumb

Be warm down there in the summer right enough , we rode down in Sept and even that was quite hot at times . I put a small amount of cola in mine when it's very hot, makes drinking the warm water a bit more palatable :thumb2

I carry two 1litre plastic bottles on my GSA when riding in hot weather. They sit in leather holders I made and are secured onto the pannier handles so I can reach them while riding (left hand side preferably) so I can always hydrate without having to stop.

Because we'll be riding around Greece in the summer. Not around Croydon. Make sense now perhaps? Or do you need more information? Just let me know if that's a bit difficult for you :thumb

You did say you were riding down to Greece in June as opposed to around it and further said you knew you could stop for a drink. No more information required thanks unless it's to explain why you had to give a rude answer to a reasonable question. Have a lovely trip with your Dad. :)

Be warm down there in the summer right enough , we rode down in Sept and even that was quite hot at times . I put a small amount of cola in mine when it's very hot, makes drinking the warm water a bit more palatable :thumb2

:thumb
One thing I found works very well is Iced Tea, the peach one is bes; it tastes lovely when nice and cold, and actually tastes pretty good when lukewarm or warm..

I carry two 1litre plastic bottles on my GSA when riding in hot weather. They sit in leather holders I made and are secured onto the pannier handles so I can reach them while riding (left hand side preferably) so I can always hydrate without having to stop.

Good stuff that :thumb

I'll be taking my dad as pillion down to Greece in June and wondered if anyone had any tips for pillion hydration. There's a top box on the back, so I don't think a Camelbak backpack style will work with that in place. Any other solutions out there folks have used?

Obviously yes I know you can stop and drink, yada yada.

Cheers :thumb

My camelbacks have always been quite high mounted on my back - I think you'll find that it'll be easy for your dad to wear one and it not be interfered with by the top box (unless you topbox is the height of a wardrobe :D)...

My camelbacks have always been quite high mounted on my back - I think you'll find that it'll be easy for your dad to wear one and it not be interfered with by the top box (unless you topbox is the height of a wardrobe :D)...

Cheers Mike. I'm ordering what looks to be the compact one- so if it doesn't impede the top box and is pretty lightweight on, then hopefully it'll be fine.
He actually will travel with a small cushion tethered to the front of the top box to act as a back rest, which he found very comfortable when riding before; so I'd hope it could nestle above that perhaps without any fuss..

:thumb

.. Camelbak has arrived and a compact little thing it is. I think it'll nestle nicely above the topbox.

I get my GSA back on Sunday after a long absence so will give it a whirl :thumb

Back
Top Bottom