Engine bars

Chris Harris

Reaction score
Hi all - thanks for the advice on accessories which has been much appreciated! Just wondered how many have had the engine bars fitted, if they work, and which ones are best?? Are they fairly easy to fit or do they need fitting by a dealer? Have had protection on some previous bikes but very aware that if you do have a drop, panniers etc are expensive repairs. Do the bars save the panniers if you do drop the bike? Also, do they spoil the look of the bike?

Well a very open question, to which you will get a wide array of responses!
Some Crash bars work but it depends on the severity of the situation. Are you talking about the bike falling over sideways or actually a crash? If an actual crash, then bars aren't really going to help that much.
Are they easy to fit...well, how long is a piece of string. Are you good with spanners? If so, then yes they are easy to fit.
You can get some bars mounted to protect the panniers. In my opinion they look dreadful with panniers fitted. They look hideous with the panniers removed.
Some go the middle ground by just fitting good quality rocker cover protectors such as BMW's own or some classy aftermarket ones.

From Chris's other posts it’s a new LC from dealer.

I have a set of Wunderlich bars on my LCRT, and after 6 months they started to rust.

I’ve since hand painted the black and for tip overs they do what they should do, and protect the heads.

I fitted Wunderlich bars to my 14 plate RT when new. I got them from a dealer in Germany on Ebay, and they were second hand, so a bit cheaper. They were spotless, with no marks, and silver/grey which went with the bike.
When I got my current RT last year, a 2017 model, the bars fitted with no problem, However, the paint had flaked where the bolts went through, and I had to clean and sand them a bit. I also sprayed them matt black to go with the Mars red paint scheme. You hardly see them now, which suits me.
I have always felt that their purpose on the bike is to limit damage to the heads in the event of a drop, they'd be of limited use in a crash.

If you can afford the extra, go for the Touratech,full stainless so no flaky paintwork,I was fortunate to get a set from one of the guys on here at a reasonable price but IMHO i'd prefer them over the wunderlich

I fitted Wunderlich engine and fairing, had no issues with them, they were never tested....

8f08d43fa428a721d3380803d1695294.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom