Wiring in spot / driving lights

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided i'd like a bit more road visibility on the GS to make the smidsys more aware ;)

What have people found the best way to do it?

The switched live connector at the headstock is going to be used for the sat nav, so i'm guessing thats out.

Also I have a relay mounted on the headstock, so i'm guessing that plays a part somewhere

I'd rather have them wired in with the lights, as opposed to having a separate switch ..

havnt go a clue as to how i wire them in with the relay, so any help would be appreciated

:)

Decided i'd like a bit more road visibility on the GS to make the smidsys more aware ;)

What have people found the best way to do it?

The switched live connector at the headstock is going to be used for the sat nav, so i'm guessing thats out.

Also I have a relay mounted on the headstock, so i'm guessing that plays a part somewhere

I'd rather have them wired in with the lights, as opposed to having a separate switch ..

havnt go a clue as to how i wire them in with the relay, so any help would be appreciated

:)
You can get either a 4 pin or 5 pin fused relay;

I can't remember correct numbers but

1) is +ve feed (from light switch)
2) is ground,
3) 12v feed
4) output to new light
(4)a) additional output to new light.

You can either use 4 pin relay and split output to each light or, better option, use 5 pin relay so each light has separate switched feed.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

How much do you want to spend?

I'm going the He's ezCan route which controls lights from the Canbus.

Autoswitch AS7 from Nippy Normans used to be about £20-25? Lets you use the cancel switch as an on off so no extra switches r'qd easy wire in when you're doing the rest of it. Let's you use them when you want irrespective of high/low beam :thumb2

I wired a set through a standard relay.
No: 85 = earth
No: 30 from batt + through a fuse.
No: 87 to your spotlight +
No: 85 through a mini switch from the BMW accessory plug, this is just a few amps and switches on the relay.
It's cool when you switch off the ignition the spots will stay on for 12 seconds.

I wired a set through a standard relay.
No: 85 = earth
No: 30 from batt + through a fuse.
No: 87 to your spotlight +
No: 85 through a mini switch from the BMW accessory plug, this is just a few amps and switches on the relay.
It's cool when you switch off the ignition the spots will stay on for 12 seconds.

I want to run the Nav from the accessory plug (headstock)-- or are you talking the one on the side of the bike near the battery?

I want to run the Nav from the accessory plug (headstock)-- or are you talking the one on the side of the bike near the battery?

I tapped a 12V + from the back of the acc socket thus leaving the socket available.
Put the relay as close to the battery as possible.

I drive mine off the Adventure spot lamp supply. It has a fuse for each side. One feeds the long range spots wired with main beam via relay. The angel ring daylights are wired from the other fuse but use very little power. They could be fed from the sat nav lead with a patch lead.
Relay can be sat anywhere away from water spray. Use the correct size wires either side to avoid volt drop issues. However LED lights make more light with much less power than halogen so fat wires are less important.

Back
Top Bottom