Anyone best for Xcountry sevrcing?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My little bike is giving me woes with intermittent cutting out, then runs perfectly for miles before just cutting out again - not a stutter before hand, sudden death, complete and utter death, so not fuel because that would give coughing first......this is loss of electrical power to something, spark plug related or on that circuit I would think.

T the trouble is, I need it for getting to work. So a quick fix required. Picocks can't even look at it for 2 weeks and they weren't confident about looking at it because they never sold one and so are not familiar with it. Any recommendations please, that aren't the other end of the country? I would take it to Steptoe, but he is 250 miles away and if it doesn't run I can't get it there.

Sounds like your idle control valve - very simple to remove and clean and may save you the expense and time of taking it to a garage.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like your idle control valve - very simple to remove and clean and may save you the expense and time of taking it to a garage.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes.

Also do you ever open the throttle when starting? If you do, don't!

Do a throttle reset, if you don't know how then do a search.

Do a throttle reset, if you don't know how then do a search.[/QUOTE]

I have come unstuck by not thinking when starting in a hurry. Wait till all yer panel has done its startup procedure then start without using throttle (AS TIM SAYS)

HTHY

Do a throttle reset, if you don't know how then do a search.

I have come unstuck by not thinking when starting in a hurry. Wait till all yer panel has done its startup procedure then start without using throttle (AS TIM SAYS)

HTHY[/QUOTE]

key off
key on
throttle wide open
throttle full close
throttle wide open
throttle full close
key off
key on
start engine with no throttle
allow engine to find idle without touching throttle
once it settles into an idle, key off
you're done.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...xchallenge-xmoto.487473/page-15#post-13745432

I only touch the button when the dash shows just green and red light, light the button and then put my gloves on. I am meticulous with this. I did a reset on the side of the road, thinking (hoping, more like) it would clear the glitch...nope!

What and where is the idle control valve please? It may be easy for you - but I got 3/4 the way to changing the plugs and put it all back together. It was getting too invloved to risk at the side of the lane. I don't have a shed to do it undercover. I have to do it at the side of the lane or in front of the house. It started raining the other day when I chcecked the battery. By the time I had put it back together I was drenched and had to dry all my tools!

If I can't fix it over the weekend I will ride it over to Mickeyboy if he can fit me in. Although a friend down the road has a bike workshop and he owns an Xcountry and was electrickery trained in the RAF, for fixing aeroplane electronics and weapons systems too - used to measuring micro volts and all sorts of magic tricks! :eek:

Mickey doesn't answer his phone.....so I have no idea if he can look at / fix it or not. There is also the consideration of if I ride it over and he can't do it while I wait, how do I get home again and then back over to him? It is my transport, not a weekend toy.

Mikeyboy did eventually answer, when he wasn't up to his elbows in bearings! he is very busy, so couldn't fit me in in time... I know his work is good, but timing wasn't suitable.

I went to Long Eaton, Jim ??? suggested by someone. The chap there plugged it in, they have the BMW diagnostics. It came up with 3 fault codes:
idle actuator
fuel valve sommatorother
and ignition summatorother

He did some checking on the fault finder and turned the bike off. Then turned it back on and let it go through the sequence, recechked the fault codes and the system had cleared them, so the computer thing said......came home, it ran like a sewing machine the whole way, better than on the way there. Smoother, not necessarily faster.

So, thank you everyone, especially whoever it was suggested Jim (I can't remember the surname). he didn't charge me a penny either, even though I tried to pay him for plugging it in, he wouldn't take anything.

I shall give my idler and throttle a good clean next time I have the tops off.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom