TFT screen dead

gusser123

Reaction score
Hi All, Regular commuter on my bike which is about 6 months old. This morning tft will not come on. Indicator lights,high beam etc show at the side. Before going to the dealer. Would it be worth disconnecting the battery? Any advise?

Ta Tom

Its a common problem because of the Bluetooth, turn off Bluetooth, and then reset your battery, but you will still need the software update that BMW are working on, and may already have it, its the connection app that throws a wobbly, turn connection app off.

If it's only six months old, I'd contact the dealer...

i never use the bmw connected app. As its the greatest abomination i have ever used. Just my android phone and a set of in ear bluetooth headphones. On my 30 mile commute i stopped about 10 times trying all combinations of switching on and off. just popped down to bike now after a 4 hour layup. And it came on ok. :) Ta all Tom

i never use the bmw connected app. As its the greatest abomination i have ever used. Just my android phone and a set of in ear bluetooth headphones. On my 30 mile commute i stopped about 10 times trying all combinations of switching on and off. just popped down to bike now after a 4 hour layup. And it came on ok. :) Ta all Tom

You still need the update

Hi All, Regular commuter on my bike which is about 6 months old. This morning tft will not come on. Indicator lights,high beam etc show at the side. Before going to the dealer. Would it be worth disconnecting the battery? Any advise?

Ta Tom

Don't worry, it's a common issue with the first batch of TFT equipped GS and GSA. You need doing nothing else than book your bike for a software update. No need to turn off bluetooth or anything else, use the bike as usual (even without display), the display will come back up next time you turn your bike on after a power cycle (it usually did on mine).

Get the software update ..... it will still be shit at connecting to anything.

Don't worry, it's a common issue with the first batch of TFT equipped GS and GSA. You need doing nothing else than book your bike for a software update. No need to turn off bluetooth or anything else, use the bike as usual (even without display), the display will come back up next time you turn your bike on after a power cycle (it usually did on mine).

Standard query from an early adopter, BMW will thank you for helping them develop something they could've done before release....yeah right, standard practice, release something that is just about fit for purpose and then use your early adopters/suckers to help you realise how little you can get away with spending to fix issues instead of doing full end to end dev testing in the first place.

Standard query from an early adopter, BMW will thank you for helping them develop something they could've done before release....yeah right, standard practice, release something that is just about fit for purpose and then use your early adopters/suckers to help you realise how little you can get away with spending to fix issues instead of doing full end to end dev testing in the first place.

Just goes to show how stupid people are and indicates to the manufacturers just how far you can push them.

Personally, I am fed up sharing the planet with these morons.

I was a first LC adopter and had issues , but so what , i was brave enough to take the risk and have a new generation bike before others .Similar to the first over the top , brave and not hiding behind others skirts and pointing fingers. .
Risk takers not nanny boys. So Oddballs and Att sit back there and hide behind written comments .IMHO of course:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

I was a first LC adopter and had issues , but so what , i was brave enough to take the risk and have a new generation bike before others .Similar to the first over the top , brave and not hiding behind others skirts and pointing fingers. .
Risk takers not nanny boys. So Oddballs and Att sit back there and hide behind written comments .IMHO of course:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow

Bought a new 2011 r1200gsa tc ... well into the production run of that model and a well developed reliable model............... on the other hand I made the mistake of buying a 2014 r1200gsa lc from one of the first production runs ...................... numerous persistent problems that were never fully sorted over the 3 years I owned the bike including the bike being fitted with BMW telemetric data recording equipment to monitor the suspension, 2 front shocks ,one rear shock, 2 sets of switchgear .many and varied ECU updates .

BMW do have a well recorded history of releasing new models onto the market with unresolved issues that cause grief to their new owners and some issues that were never fully resolved (fuel strips)

TFT is just a further example and it will be interesting to see how things go with the new 1250 vvt bikes when they escape into the public domain

BMW do have a well recorded history of releasing new models onto the market with unresolved issues that cause grief to their new owners and some issues that were never fully resolved (fuel strips)

You make it sound like BMW are the only manufacturer to have this problem, it effects many others, TSB right now are suffering with the exact same issue, after 70,000 tests they released their new software and bang the whole thing is crap. Lloyd’s BoS did the same last year. Doesn’t make it acceptable just it isn’t only BMW.

I guess you might say it reflects life in general.

You may take the safe route and kiss your sister,
or
you can go for the exiting and hot chick, not knowing what you are in for, but with the prospect of a wonderful time.

I guess you might say it reflects life in general.

You may take the safe route and kiss your sister,
or
you can go for the exiting and hot chick, not knowing what you are in for, but with the prospect of a wonderful time.
Good point, well made :D :thumb

Bought a new 2011 r1200gsa tc ... well into the production run of that model and a well developed reliable model............... on the other hand I made the mistake of buying a 2014 r1200gsa lc from one of the first production runs ...................... numerous persistent problems that were never fully sorted over the 3 years I owned the bike including the bike being fitted with BMW telemetric data recording equipment to monitor the suspension, 2 front shocks ,one rear shock, 2 sets of switchgear .many and varied ECU updates .

TFT is just a further example and it will be interesting to see how things go with the new 1250 vvt bikes when they escape into the public domain
I feel your pain , I had a list of clutches , slave cylinders , wheels , eventually a new engine along with other bits but I still never regretted taking the risk of a new model because for me it was and still is so much better than my 2011 TC which was a great bike but at the time becoming dated.
I will take the plunge when the new vvt comes out as even with all the issues folks fear BMW still sort things so well (for me anyway) .
If we all waited for the results you could be dead.

Any manufacturer releasing software based anything will have bugs, that's the nature of the software beast. Early adapters will experience more bugs as software in general gets better as time moves on and the little feckers can be identified and ironed out. Your smart phone can work perfectly fine until you install an app with a couple of bugs and the next thing your battery only last an hour or you phone keeps restarting. Sure if Bill Gates can't get it right the first time why expect BMW will.

Any manufacturer releasing software based anything will have bugs, that's the nature of the software beast. Early adapters will experience more bugs as software in general gets better as time moves on and the little feckers can be identified and ironed out. Your smart phone can work perfectly fine until you install an app with a couple of bugs and the next thing your battery only last an hour or you phone keeps restarting. Sure if Bill Gates can't get it right the first time why expect BMW will.

Yep all software is released knowing there will be bugs, the TFT is no different so problems with all the complex connectivity interoperability stuff is no surprise BUT basic functions that can easily be tested, for example the fuel range indicator is not excusable, that is just poor software test procedures.

The worst issues with the TFT have been fixed by now, mostly anyways, and it's working really well if you strictly speak only about the functionality it replaced (instrument cluster and onboard-computer). In that regards, they release a rather awesome piece of kit in my opinion. Works quick, is uber readable, sweet animations all across, not too clunky interface, super quality display even in bright sunlight!

The issue lies with the added functionality.... Ther so called CONNECTED bluetooth ecosystem, which clearly is nowhere near mature enough to be deemed working as advertised(or working at all in some cases).

Does it prevent me to enjoy safely riding my awesome bike? NOPE!
Does it sting a little to have forked 1000CHF/$ and being under the impression that a part of what they promised me was whitheld? FUCK YEAH!
Would I have opted for the regular instrument cluster have I known the issues I have now? NO WAY, THIS THING IS AWESOME!

Back
Top Bottom