Spanish Paradors

brianmaslen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone stayed in Paradors whilst travelling through Spain? Friends have raved on about the places and how they are based on castles and stately homes that are converted to hotels. I’ve traced a book called Historical Paradors written by Francisco Ontanon and Juan Eslava Calan which looks readable, anyone read it?
I gather it’s better to book using a Spanish agent......of course that’s assuming you speak good Spanish which I don’t.
Thinking of combining with a bike trip and taking the wife who likes a bit of luxury.

All I've ever done on bike trips.

Tend to aim to stay in a parador and book the same day, then if full (never happened) will opt for a decent hotel in the same location, which tend to be main towns and cities.

Because of their past usage, security (perimeter fences etc) is good and therefore bikes are safe.

Have you used them when on the bike?

:D:D

A Posada is another type of traditional hotel in Spain, not as grand as a Parador but they tend to be medieval and often quirky.
Yes I have stayed in them whilst on a bike ;)

A Posada is another type of traditional hotel in Spain, not as grand as a Parador but they tend to be medieval and often quirky.

Are you not thinking of a Pousada? They are normally found in Portugal, but there are one or two in Spain.

We have been using the Paradors for many years. Just log on to the website & have a good look around ........ www.parador.es/en. They have brought some amazing buildings back into use & most convey a real sense of occasion when you roll up on the bike. The Portugese Pousadas are a similar offering ......... www.pousadas.pt

Best to join their Amigos scheme if you plan a trip, which gets you free garaging when available. However, as a first timer, you may find it easier to book an inclusive break through BF.

Yes, I have stayed in many Paradors (and more recently a Pousada in Lisbon), but not on a motorbike.

They are mainly located in old historic buildings such as castles, monasteries, nunneries, etc., however, there are one or two that are new buildings.
They are great places to stay, the rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The restaurants are also generally very good for both breakfast and evening meal.

You can book online (which is how I have done it in the past), where there are usually good discounts to be found. Check out their website for the type of properties they have.

We stayed in this one before going down the N621 to Riano then back up to Oviedo

Lovely place

http://latorredelosisla.com/galeria

Paradors are great places to stay , you can book at Parador dot etc but you will pay fairly quickly. If you search Parador xyz in Booking.com you will find similar rooms prices ect but with pay only when you arrive and cancel 24 hrs before

Another positive for Paradors, ended up in a mini suite in the Burgos one, the bed was so wide you had to factor in the curvature of the earth. Rocked up unannounced on the bike, they just moved the restaurant menu and waved me forward so it could be seen from reception. Highly recommended.

Car park of the last one we stayed in, an old monastery, superb.

Attachments

• 873AAB45-AF64-469A-AE82-A2B44E025AD0.jpg
    873AAB45-AF64-469A-AE82-A2B44E025AD0.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 480
Fantastic response chaps, just what I was hoping for and much appreciated. Now to convince the wife as when we went to the Picos in July the temperature was touching low 40’s and that was hard work. September maybe?

Have stayed in a few Paradors, but the wife and I prefer the many and varied Casa Rural properties. They are invariably interesting rustic places, full of character. They also tend to be excellent value. Some only offer breakfast, so best to check this aspect and what else is in the vicinity. If there was no evening meal option we simply ate at lunchtime and picked up a few bits for a snack when the shops reopened after siesta. Spent many an evening watching the sun go down in a lovely garden eating a picnic washed down with plenty of beer.

Parador

I try to stay at a Parador for a few nights on every trip, as a reward for the Gf for putting up with long hard days of clinging on to the bike.
They often do 3 nights for the price of 2.
My latest booking (Benavente) for 3 nights works out at €37 each per night, including breakfast. Hardly expensive.

I can thoroughly recommend staying at a Parador, each time we tour Spain/Portugal we treat ourselves to at least one nights stay on the outward journey, and another on the return journey. We try to stay at a different one each time.
We've found, so far, that at least one of the reception staff has spoken English. As previously stated, you can easily book online through their website (join their Amigos scheme) or through booking.com, you get secure parking, great locations/buildings, fabulous rooms, occasional free upgrades (we were upgraded from a room to a suite at Cuenca, at no extra cost, fantastic) oh, and the breakfasts are unbelievable !

Enjoy !!

Chris

Well that’s it then, I’m convinced by all the excellent posts in response to my question. Late summer looks a good time to go avoiding the hottest weather. Many thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom