S1000RR Ring Antenna / Ignition Switch

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few miles after the scenic picture at Glen Shee, a certain gentleman's bike decided that it Wouldn't Switch Off. No way. Nada. Nothing.

Even with key removed, the ignition and lights remained ON and the bike could be started.

Being very close to our hotel and having a couple of suitable tools (on my bike) it was easy to disconnect the battery overnight. And again 2 or 3 times the following day as we completed what we set out to do and ride almost 200 miles home.

Unfortunately, it's a dealer job to replace the complete key switch & ring antenna.

The first cheaper ring antenna acquired was for an earlier model. Later 2015 model needs two big fxckoff 8mm security boots drilled out after removing top yolk.

Luckily dealer says Mr BM will provide replacement switch FOC. Fitting will cost at time of annual service. Needs coding.

What a bastid on a 2.1/2 year old low-kemiles bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0352_kindlephoto-49581322.png
    IMG_0352_kindlephoto-49581322.png
    55 KB · Views: 678
Exactly the same thing happened to me on a 2007 GSA but I was still in warranty luckily coz it took them a bloody age to sort it out! This shouldn't happen. Bad luck for said gentleman eh? :comfort

My 2006 GS antenna played up on and off for a while then I decided to replace it myself.

I’d ordered one after reading many horror stories.

It was a bugger of a job drilling out the 8mm security bolt heads then winding out the studs using mini mole grips.

Only 2 minutes to fit the new ring antenna with normal socket cap screws.

But the GS antenna was separate from the ignition switch unit.

The latest S1000 integrates the switch and antenna into one unit.

Back
Top Bottom