The three flying Scotsmen

sanensafe

Reaction score
Blog of a long weekend away in Scotland 4th to 7th May 18.

This is the first time I've done one of these so please bear with me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ok, sorry for the delay.

This was supposed to be a trip with a group of friends who go away together in the uk for a long weekend biking.

There are about 8 of us in total. Last year we stayed in North Yorkshire and went around there, up into Northumberland and around the Scottish borders.

One of the lads (member on here) is a co driver in a rally car and has done the Mull rally many times but has not seen much of the island due to reading and shouting pace notes at the driver to try to stay alive.

As such he wanted to go up there this year for a look round.

With that as a plan at the end of 2017 we had a date to work to and anticipation over a cold and snowy Winter.

When the emails started flowing after the New Year it became obvious our numbers would be fewer than anticipated.

Over the last few months, for various reasons people have dropped out and it is now just the three of us.

Those riding are:
Myself on my twin cam GSA
Paul on his recently purchased RT (PX’d a twin cam GSA) and
Alan on his Triumph explorer.

A couple of weeks ago we got together in a pub, Paul unfolded the biggest map of Scotland I’ve ever seen (bits of maps stuck together), god help the driver if he navigates like that at 100mph on single track roads ;-). And the makings of a plan was hatched.

So we are meeting next Friday, heading through the dales, onto the slab and up to hibberdy hibberdy land where we will get onto some twisties up towards Oban.

Dependent on time we will see where we get to and decide when and where we cross onto the islands.

Paul has spotted a campsite on Mull which overlooks Iona, so that could be night 2.

We then plan on taking in a trip up to Skye with a ride over to Applecross then over the road of the cattle.

With the majority of the trip flexible, camping with option of bed and breakfast / boozer if it rains all day and just 3 of us, I am really looking forward to this.

The plans are for camping, so a lot of time has been spent discussing what is being taken and how it will be loaded.

So far i have packed the panniers and a roll bag about 15 times, trying to get a system where i’ll be able to find things and in some semblance of order.

I currently have, riding gear in the left pannier. This has left room for some clothes which will go in a dry bag.
In the right pannier i have a stove, pans, inner tent a d sleeping bag.
In the roll bag (freebie with a subscription to bike magazine last year) I have the tent outer, poles, roll mat, head torch and a Swiss army knife.
I was considering an axe to chop wood for a fire and to knock the tent pegs in, however with the weather we have had recently I doubt there will be a problem knocking pegs in.

I have topped the oil up, stuck a new rear tyre on (Avon trailrider to match the front) and that’s about it for bike prep’.
As the bike is my daily commuter and everything else bike, I know it’s up to the job. Whether we can keep up with an RT and an explorer with all the stuff on and suspension that is 35,000 miles old is another matter altogether.

As a treat for the bike when it gets home, it’s booked into The Workshop where Paul can give it some TLC whilst a ride the noisiest GSX 750 this side of a race paddock (one of his courtesy bikes).
After that we go to Hinkley for a Triumph factory tour, that’s going to see us ahum, making progress through Derbyshire.

I wanted to use the forum to put a few items on so i can recall the tour. A picture or two and maybe a short video clip or two.

I’m sure Paul and Alan will comment as we progress once we hit the road.

That’s it for now folks.

Eagerly awaiting piccies & video's..

Enjoy & ride safe.. :thumb

Packed and ready for the off. How people carry enough gear to go around the world is beyond me, may be I just like my comfort??

Using some new kit out from Go Outdoors made by a company called OEX, camping chair, camping cot and sleeping mat. I'm just over 120kg and its rated at 100kg but trying it out it seems very solid so far so I will let you know how I get on.

Also on a change of bike moving from a Hexhead GSA to an RT LC, completely different ride but with the large top box it seems to have just as much luggage space, reading the reports on here about the road on Skye though I may regret the change but the ride up should be a lot less blustery.

Might be a tad windy at Fionnphort on Saturday so make sure that the tents are well pegged :thumb

Packed the GS this evening. Like Paul, i have no idea how you could get all your stuff on for a long journey.

Hats off to those who can pack for 2 and camping with just the boxes. I’ve resorted to one of the “free with a subscription to Ride magazine” 50 litre dry bag strapped on the back seat.

Again, like PAul, I have gone for comfort over weight and I do think if we had considered not being completely self sufficient and had shared some things we could have done this with less kit. However the adventure is living with what youv’e got and i’m pretty sure we will all be using this as a test for future trips.

The plan for tomorrow now is to get up, throw 2 cups of black coffee down my neck and meet Alan to ride up to meet Paul North of Bradford.

It’s then top the tanks up, and get up through the Dales to the M6, up towards Scotland and at some point turn off onto some twisties.

Really looking forward to this, as I know Paul and Alan are. The forecast is good so this has the potential to be the perfect trip.

Have a great trip. Whats not to like, your coming up to Scotland! :hrh

As for the packing, I always make sure I pack my panniers and top box maximum 3/4 full always leaving room for the things you pick up or need along the way. Everyone always over packs for there first trip away. I know I did. We all packed everything including the kitchen sink. Its all part of the experience.

My advice is make a note of what you use and what you don't. And best one of all, the things you wish you'd taken. Travelling light is always a compromise but the more you do it you realise whats important.

Wallet inc cash, bank cards, drivers licence and your mobile phone. With those things alone you can get out of many situations.

Have a great time and I look forward to reading your Ride Report on your return or daily basis... :flag

Back
Top Bottom