Custom ear guards

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with custom moulded ear guards?

I’ve had a pair which weren’t right so went and got new moulds taken. The new ones arrived this week and I’ve just ridden 40 miles before I’ve had to take them out, they’re tight in my ear and I’ve ended up with sore ears and a headache within an hour. Never had this issue with standard plugs (just inconsistent protection).

So do I have odd ears or am I not alone?

Has anyone had issues with custom moulded ear guards?

I’ve had a pair which weren’t right so went and got new moulds taken. The new ones arrived this week and I’ve just ridden 40 miles before I’ve had to take them out, they’re tight in my ear and I’ve ended up with sore ears and a headache within an hour. Never had this issue with standard plugs (just inconsistent protection).

So do I have odd ears or am I not alone?
I got custom ones made, and as a short sighted winnie the pooh, cause me problems when I've got my glasses on, 4 different helmets still the same issue.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Heard of this problem with custom in ear monitors. They seem to take the moulds and make them slightly bigger.
Always made my own with the DIY putty and they have always worked well. They only last a couple of years because they seem to shrink but they are cheap so that doesn't matter.

I’m concerned that when they do the mounds you don’t have a helmet on, but when you use them, your ears are slightly squished and if you have the arms of your spectacles over the top it becomes unbearable after a short time.

I’m the same with my in ear buds, and apart from the fact that they didn’t put string in them to help pull them out, and then the string has come out as they just bodged it in to repair.

It might help if they made them out of slightly softer stuff, but this could be tricky to get in and out.

What is the deal on the DIY pair?

I’m concerned that when they do the mounds you don’t have a helmet on, but when you use them, your ears are slightly squished and if you have the arms of your spectacles over the top it becomes unbearable after a short time.

I’m the same with my in ear buds, and apart from the fact that they didn’t put string in them to help pull them out, and then the string has come out as they just bodged it in to repair.

It might help if they made them out of slightly softer stuff, but this could be tricky to get in and out.

What is the deal on the DIY pair?

Go and see Micky (on here as ... Micky). He’s done a few now, and knows what he’s on about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+1 for Micky. The moulds become the earplugs.

I do however find that you cannot wear moulded plugs for lengthy periods without building up the wear time.

I wear glasses too and they’ve never been a problem.

I have tried every known earplug/earguard/defender known to man. I have bought off the shelf, custom made, and done DIY custom several times. Not a single one of them has been bearable after more than an hour and often even less in my helmet - myriad headaches, pressure points in/on around the ear etc etc etc

So now I now longer (try to) wear them, and have consequently gone quite deaf, and have terrible tinnitus as well, which is no fun at all. So no, its not just you.

I had some done at the NEC show 2 years ago. Wore them twice then chucked them in a drawer. They hurt every time I turned my head. I've gone back to Moldex foam squidgy ones. They do the job for me and I can still hear the Interphone speakers well enough

I’ve had custom plugs for quite a few years now. On my 2nd set from ‘ultimate ear’. They take a little getting used too and I did build up my tolerance/time initially. No bother at all now.

If you’re getting pressure when your lids on have the plugs shaved back slightly by the manufacturer. There’ll be a little leeway before they’re no use. But it could be just enough.....

You need to renew anyway from time to time as your ears keep growing

Cheers

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Ear are the biggest bunch of c*nts ever!
Hide behind "custom made" loopholes despite it being their only business so Trading Standards have said it does not apply yet will send you round in circles until the timescales run out.
utter shite, poor sound, poor fit etc.

Ultimate Ear are the biggest bunch of c*nts ever!
Hide behind "custom made" loopholes despite it being their only business so Trading Standards have said it does not apply yet will send you round in circles until the timescales run out.
utter shite, poor sound, poor fit etc.

That’s your opinion and you’re entitled ....

However, we all have ears and yet we’re unique in the dimensions. Therefore they are custom made to you personally.

Mine have always worked perfectly well for me and I’m happy. That’s why I recommended them.

I’m guessing if you approached Ultimate ear with the same tone and language as you did this thread that’s probably why they indirectly told you to f*** off.

That’s my opinion....

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - that was after 3 attempts for them to correct their work, a second set of moulds because they cocked up the first ones hence them failing to stay in, numerous emails and finally having to involve TS and the courts to return over £500 for a set of their squidies and a set of their super dooper music ones that even their own lawyer admitted were awful to hear after they were ordered to remove the units and put them into a generic one that the court could listen to.
UE tried on numerous occasions to hide behind the exclusion on “custom items” in the SOGA.
When your only business model is that it doesn’t apply.
They lost.

Sadly, mistakes and errors do occur. It is how you resolve the issue that separates the good companies from the bad and indifferent.

For every happy customer = 3 new ones

For every unhappy customer = 10 lost.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No - that was after 3 attempts for them to correct their work, a second set of moulds because they cocked up the first ones hence them failing to stay in, numerous emails and finally having to involve TS and the courts to return over £500 for a set of their squidies and a set of their super dooper music ones that even their own lawyer admitted were awful to hear after they were ordered to remove the units and put them into a generic one that the court could listen to.
UE tried on numerous occasions to hide behind the exclusion on “custom items” in the SOGA.
When your only business model is that it doesn’t apply.
They lost.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with UE, I've had two sets of in ear monitors from them. The first were the type where the speakers are inline, and the sound is carried forward by tubes and the second are wired. Both have been excellent. Expensive, but good. Glad you won.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of points regarding custom moulded plugs..

Your ears continue to grow as you get older (check out an older gentleman to see what I mean) so there may well come a time when the plugs become less efficient.

To those struggling with fitment after receiving them due to helmet padding or indeed wearing glasses, You can have your moulds taken with you wearing the lid and specs in place. A bit of a faff but doable for sure, cling film is an amazing product...:thumb

I had a set made at a localish Game fair some years ago,

I specified with cords to save me loosing them.

They supplied them without cords!,

i contacted them, and they sent me a replacement set with cords, and told me to keep the first set as way of an appology :)

The cords are not for removal purposes, your meant to screw them in / out of the ear ;)

I need to make some new ones up with earbuds in, running my Senna at full volume to penetrate the in ears kills

the battery in half the time.

Back
Top Bottom