Got alloy wheels? Interested in a proper front mudguard

Hi Mike,

I'm about to make the same modification to my 1150, but like you haven't decided if this will be a permanent change. Because of this I'd like to express an interest in the mudguard but it will be dependent on the price.

Phil

I can’t believe people aren’t knocking your door down, Mike...

It's not that common a mod, in my experience - I've only seen alloys on a couple of bikes on the road, amongst the thousands of 1150s I've seen over the years. Unfortunately, unless I manage to tap into an undiscovered seam of alloy wheel owners, it looks like being a non-starter... :p

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm about to make the same modification to my 1150, but like you haven't decided if this will be a permanent change. Because of this I'd like to express an interest in the mudguard but it will be dependent on the price.

Phil

No problem Phil - I'll put you down as a 'floating voter'... :D

Hi Mike, would know if this mod will reduce the seat height. Being a “LOFTY” 5’ 8” any mod the decreases the seat height will be a good advantage to some of us. :augie

Hi Mike, would know if this mod will reduce the seat height. Being a “LOFTY” 5’ 8” any mod the decreases the seat height will be a good advantage to some of us. :augie

I can't imagine it doing so in any appreciable way Alan. The rear wheel is the same size and there's probably an inch or so difference at the front...:nenau

any mod the decreases the seat height will be a good advantage to some of us. :augie

The wheel base is about 1.5m (5ft) and your losing about 25mm (1") off the front wheel.

The seat is about 1/3 along from the rear so you'll get between 1/2" - 1/4" at the seat.
Tape measure and a simple bit of trig and you'll have your exact answer.

I have just picked the mudguard up from the painter - I'll fit it later (if I get time) and put some pics up.

In view of the response here, I am not going to pursue getting any made - it wouldn't be economically viable for what is quite an unusual conversion...

Mike :beerjug:

i-rjDxCSH-X2.jpg

Nice paint job...

i-rKtSxSK-X2.jpg

Contrary to my expectation, the two torx screws which hold the mudguard onto the fork brace came out very easily, so the whole job took about an hour, after I had worked out what order things had tombe arranged in (there's less clearance than with a standard mudguard and a standard wheel, I think)...

i-r2vpqrR-X2.jpg

Not quite the same white - hey-ho... :p

i-vXD3NNm-X2.jpg

i-M7ZgdSq-X2.jpg

i-KXc5t2L-X2.jpg

I had drilled a hole in the centre of the mudguard to take the ring clip that holds the brake hose away to stop it scratching the finish...

i-9nmw5Tf-X2.jpg

...but, as luck would have it, the hose flexes far enough away for this not to be needed. I'll put a blind grommet in it to cover the hole... :blast

I think it looks a lot better for fitting it... :thumb2

i-vLzn7Wf-X2.jpg

Looks great, Mike....certainly fits the wheel a lot better than the standard guard. :thumb2

Top job Mike, that’s one stunning bike, and obviously not a garage queen after reading your exploits. :rob

Can I show my ignorance and ask what benefit you get from fitting the smaller wheel?

A lot easier to keep clean - it's that simple.

It also allows you to use more sticky rubber, which may not be available for 19" wheels - but that's not why I got them. They were silly cheap and I thought I'd see if they suited me or not.

The turn-in should be quicker and the bike marginally less stable as a result of fitting the smaller front wheel. If this is obtrusive, or it just doesn't feel right by the time I'm through these tyres, then you'll see them for sale... :D

...and it's all you fault Tom... :D :thumb2

............serves you right!

I wish someone would make a proper front mudguard for the K1300S. Stops far too short and consequently all the crap off the front wheel wrecks the radiator. The rear part of the original guard is soo weak and flappy that the weight of a fenda extenda cracks the rear part off. :blast

Back to the issue of the front wheel throwing stuff at the HES / alternator belt cover - I noticed on a brand new 1200R the other day, a metal plate similar to the one in your first foto which keeps the crud off. Called a Catch-All or something.
Put me on the list for a long front mudguard. My Pyramid Fenda Extenda only does part of the job. It's because of the current fashion, you see. Bikes with no proper mudguards front and rear.

Back
Top Bottom