Got alloy wheels? Interested in a proper front mudguard

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening all,

If you have fitted RT or R alloy wheels to your 1100/1150GS, you will have found that you are now left with a significant gap between the new front wheel and the standard GS mudguard...

IMG_1454-XL.jpg

Lee (@blueranger) kindly sent me an aftermarket fibreglass mudguard designed to overcome this problem...

attachment.php

Here's a picture of one fitted to Paul Young's bike.

20180425_191922-X2.jpg

...and here's the slightly sorrier looking one sent to me by Lee.

Now, my plan is to get it refinished and painted (along with a number of other bits, as part of a mini-refit). It occurred to me that this might be an opportunity for my fibreglassing chap to make a mould and knock a few of these out to anyone who might want one. The set-up costs (basically making the mould) are quite high, so, before I committed to doing anything about it, I would need to know if it was something there was any demand for.

I don't have a view on pricing yet, but the more that are made the cheaper they will be - I will only be looking at covering costs.

To give you an idea, the cockpit trim part that I have made:

i-XdHTQCG-L.jpg

Works out at £70 inc UK delivery. I would anticipate that the mudguard would be more than double that, depending on numbers of orders.

i-SHpc2Mb-L.jpg

If you would be interested, please reply below. I will update this thread with estimates on costs and timing once the paintwork on the one I am putting into the paintshop is finished.

Cheers,

Mike:beerjug:

having three of your cockpit trims i'm interested

You must have read my mind, Mike... I had exactly the same thought a few days ago and wondered if you might take the opportunity to get copies made :thumb

yes three
spare one so i can mark it out to use with the rugged roads winglets
and another spare if that goes wrong!
i've got a carbon mudguard for it too as well as a fibreglass beak eliminator a fibreglass bellypan
i imagine it will look terrible but.............

trouble is i really need a gsa too but don't have the funds!
got two sets of cast wheels,its madness i tell you

you will need a dedicated hugger to match too Mike!

Mudguard is away being fettled and painted - should be done in a week or so, then I'll take it to my fibreglassing chap for him to look at and give me an estimate.

At the moment we're only looking at two takers - which I know without looking is going to make this economically unviable - so if you think you might want one, please post here...

Mike :thumb2

Hi Mike,

How do I subscribe to the thread, this option is new to me? :beerjug:

Hi Alan,

Go to the top right hand side of the thread and find the drop down menu 'Thread Tools"; select "Subscribe" and it should then give you the option to receive emails when it is updated or just list it in your Subscribed Thread list (which you will find under the "Quick Links" drop down at the head of each page on the left)...

Mike :thumb2

EDIT - should I take this as an expression of interest, dependent on price etc?

Possibly

Does anyone know if the mudguard mounts are the same on a 1100GS if so I could be persuaded to part with some cash.

Cheers Ian.

I can’t believe people aren’t knocking your door down, Mike...

Back
Top Bottom