Newbie XR upgrades

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After man years on boxers I am now moving on to an XR, going to tour and commute so am after some advice.
My GSA had LED lights, what’s the best legal upgrade for the XR? I am also looking at luggage, anyone used the SHad panniers? They look a good reasonable cost option. Finally, any sensible upgrades that improve the pleasure not just for bling that you would recommend?
Cheers in advance.:aidan

After man years on boxers I am now moving on to an XR, going to tour and commute so am after some advice.
My GSA had LED lights, what’s the best legal upgrade for the XR? I am also looking at luggage, anyone used the SHad panniers? They look a good reasonable cost option. Finally, any sensible upgrades that improve the pleasure not just for bling that you would recommend?
Cheers in advance.:aidan

The headlight on the XR is actually fairly decent

Luggage wise i personally went for a BMW soft bag which swallowed more gear than the panniers and of course does not require scafolding. A tank bag helps of course I removed all the pannier rails to make the bike a bit sleeker, this also allowed the fitting of a high level Miiv exhaust.

I toured all over Spain etc on mine with this set up without problems.

Hid50.com for the headlight upgrade, and Kreiga luggage for trips away.:thumb

Shad panniers get great reviews, and are sig cheaper than BMW ones (which are made by Shad).

MRA screen provides slightly better protection,
Slipscreen protectors for headlights
Radiator guards from a number of makers (inc Cymarc)
Some folk have gone for sidestand extenders (up to 25mm) as the sidestand appears shorter than ‘normal’

Other than those small farkles- the bike is pretty-well sorted.

Enjoy!

I’ve got a spare Puig touring screen if your interested drop me a pm I will send you a picture it’s the light tint gives better protection.

Hi there sorry for jumping in.

Is the Puig significantly better than standard?

Jim

I’ve got a spare Puig touring screen if your interested drop me a pm I will send you a picture it’s the light tint gives better protection.

Yes it provides better protection and gives less buffeting but it’s higher than the standard screen. Aesthetically it looks better imho..
Lots of info on various forums.

Thank you. Taking delivery of mine soon and at 6’2” was wondering what’s recommended.

Yes it provides better protection and gives less buffeting but it’s higher than the standard screen. Aesthetically it looks better imho..
Lots of info on various forums.

Thank you. Taking delivery of mine soon and at 6’2” was wondering what’s recommended.

I'm "only" 6' but it's totally transformed the wind buffeting for me.

I've also fitted Cymarcs side stand extender - expensive but (for me) worthwhile.

Other "useful" add-ons are Cymarc bar end weights for vibe reduction and the HP chain alignment/tensioners. :thumb

Thanks Martyn

The belt tensioner sounds interesting. Is there a problem in that regard??

Jim

I'm "only" 6' but it's totally transformed the wind buffeting for me.

I've also fitted Cymarcs side stand extender - expensive but (for me) worthwhile.

Other "useful" add-ons are Cymarc bar end weights for vibe reduction and the HP chain alignment/tensioners. :thumb

OK so Shad panniers/ top box and pannier liners ordered, excellent price online.
2nd hand ( or "previously enjoyed") Puig on the way
Anyone got any Cymarc bar end weights they don't want? :D:D

Thanks Martyn

The belt tensioner sounds interesting. Is there a problem in that regard??

Jim

To be honest, I've not used the standard versions so I can't compare. I had some credit to use up when I bought the XR and I've not had a chain driven bike for 15+ years so I thought "sod it, anything to make life easier". They're probably a nice to have, not an essential.

Sorry im in USA and 8 hours time difference

Tall touring. Tinted and perfect condition.

Make me a SENSIBLE offer. Where are you located as p&p won’t be cheap as it’s big to box.

Jim

Which one do you have, the tall touring one? Is it clear or lightly tinted? How much are you looking for?

Back
Top Bottom