Luxembourg - Speed cameras

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just back from a short european tour, part of which took in Luxembourg (the country, not the city).

Beware speed cameras!!! There are now a slew of the fixd speed cameras, of the type that look like the stump of a street lighting column, painted dark grey with about four horizontal dark bands. Located on the edge of the carriageway, but scan all lanes, and all directions.

I was picked up for doing 75kph, when the limit was 70kph. From the penalty notice it seems as if the penalty trigger point is only 72 kph, so not much leeway.

Cost me 49 euros. Be warned!

The days of hooning around chunks of Luxembourg with impunity, cocking a snook at the locals, will soon be but a distant memory. The sooner we are rid of these ungrateful neighbours of ours, the better. That’s the last time our grandmothers die for them, I can tell you! Piss boiling in the extreme; something must be done about it!

PS Paul, were you on / in your own British registered vehicle? Did the fine plonk itself onto your doormat here in the UK, directly from the Luxembourg authorities or via a third party?

Yes, a UK registered car. And the penalty notice came direct to my door in a letter from the Luxembourg Police within about 10 days of the offence.

Lovely country though, and I would not let the need to keenly observe the speed limits stop me going back.

Good to see the long arm of law enforcement in action. It’s what many on this site demand, especially when it involves traffic offences and doesn’t involve them. When it does involve them, it’s mindless petty bureaucracy, a stealth tax and something they didn’t vote for!

Hope you enjoyed your jaunt.

Thanks for info, those camera's described are similar to some I have seen in Germany, not easy to spot and the first time you see one you think, 'what was that' , too late if you are over the limit though. I did stop to look at one and they are both forward and rear facing.

Thanks for info, those camera's described are similar to some I have seen in Germany, not easy to spot and the first time you see one you think, 'what was that' , too late if you are over the limit though. I did stop to look at one and they are both forward and rear facing.

+1, I went to Lux twice last year, 1st trip I had nothing, 2nd one I got two tickets, I don't think they have all that many cameras, but they do have only a 3kph (2mph) leeway, so it is easy to get busted, I am fairly certain I got done by one I had actually slowed down for.

I am pretty sure everyone driving around the area will be much safer after I paid €100 to these tax dodging bastards, I am sure the roads get safer with every penny earned by these things.

Little tip for speed cameras in Germany, especially around the black forest area towns, when you are looking down, you will see a line sprayed on the ground, this is a marker as to where they put their mobile car based cameras, so if no radar there when you pass, does not mean it will not be there if you come back the same way..............

The penalty notice gave details of the 'camera', so I Googled it. It not only looks forward and back, but can cover 4 lanes of traffic simultaneously. And, when in Germany where all cameras are forward facing (as they need both the the face of the driver and the reg plate) I assume this type of camera can get both a front and rear photo to get the reg plate, which a conventional camera can't.

Little tip for speed cameras in Germany, especially around the black forest area towns, when you are looking down, you will see a line sprayed on the ground, this is a marker as to where they put their mobile car based cameras, so if no radar there when you pass, does not mean it will not be there if you come back the same way..............

If not, it’s the start / end of the local bicycle race.

+1, I went to Lux twice last year, 1st trip I had nothing, 2nd one I got two tickets, I don't think they have all that many cameras, but they do have only a 3kph (2mph) leeway, so it is easy to get busted, I am fairly certain I got done by one I had actually slowed down for.
Bastids! The rule is 5mph + 5% (or something), every bikermate knows that.

Bastids! The rule is 5mph + 5% (or something), every bikermate knows that.

Nope - 53kph in a 50 limit was enough for me is Switzerland. Even bimbling about is a very risky affair in some places. :(

Back
Top Bottom