Speed control on the B500

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a recent european jaunt, we took in the B500 between Freudenstadt and Baden-Baden.

Be advised/warned: it is pretty much a 70kph limit all the way and, even in midweek, it is heavily policed. marked and unmarked police cars pretty much everywhere, together with mobile (hand-held) speed detectors much in evidence.

Made it a very gentle amble, taking in the views, rather than a drive to enjoy the sweeping roads.

btw, freudenstadt town centre was a nightmare, with the roads being planed and relaid/repaved everywhere

Cue... it’s a crap road. Much better roads available. Nobody ever rides it etc etc etc

The simple truth is, the B500 has - due to the internet - been advertised on every forum from here to Sydney and back again. The consequences are inevitable as the Krauts’ patience wears off. I guess it’s like shooting fish in a barrel for the local police. Cheap, too. A few cameras, some paperwork and kerching!

Exactly. As we found when I joined one of your 'Wapping's Wanders' a few years ago, there are some cracking roads in and around the region that do not get the same 'press' as the B500

I've done it a couple of times before and never found it to be any better than some of the surrounding roads, when you factor in just how bloody busy it is so the chances or linking several sweeping bends together is fraught with problems having to deal with campers,other bikes etc etc.
Bit like the road up from Marbella to Ronda in Andalucia - lovely if it was closed just for you, but a bit of a mare with loads of lorries belching fumes all the way up. Last time I was there the surface was polished smooth as well so not a lot of grip.
The B500 is a lovely road - just don't treat it like an extended version of Cadwell Park if you want to keep your licence!

We're going in late June around that area and it's one road that probably won't feature in the route planning.

We're doing it in a few weeks 'just because' but the B463 for Pforzheim to Nagold is a stunning road, quieter and less referees .....

Back
Top Bottom