Base layer recommendation

Merino wool for me every time, be that baselayer for hiking, camping or motorcycling

I bought Mountain Warehouse merino kit - I took it back as I found it itchy. I sourced merino elsewhere and had no such issue.

Helly Hanson Merino Wool - Bloody brilliant
That's what I use, and have done for years, but I don't think they do 100% Merino wool anymore, or at least they didn't when I last looked.

Use something like EDZ Marino and dump the shite jacket liners, replacing it with a RAB micro down jacket.

I use Pro Skins. Warm in the winter and keeps you cool in the summer. Used them in 35* heat underneath moto-x gear in Spain and I was the only one not sweating.
If it's really cold I have a Gerbing heated jacket to wear on top.
They last ages, easy to wash and dry overnight on long trips.

I have a pair of Rab merino "bottoms" as well as some Aldi merino tops and North Ridge merino tops. All are superbly comfortable as well as warm when you need it and also cool when you need it. Merino works well in both situations. The Aldi stuff is a bit thinner, but I think that can work in its advantage.

I have some man made type base layers as well, but they don't have the same unwashed lifespan as the merino, but are equally as warm. Never thought to use them when it's warmer though...

D.

Back
Top Bottom