R1150RT braided brakes lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby morgan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Enquiry for a friends R1150RT non abs model bike (abs removed).
Anyone replaced the brake lines from original to braided (Goodridge/HEL/Venhill) stainless brake hoses.
The bike has had the abs/modulator removed and I was hoping to have a single hose from the handlebar master cylinder to the 3 way junction at the front mudguard to minimise & simplify the brake lines.
I have spoken to a customer advisor at Goodridge who would prefer I send the original hoses to them so that they can manufacture a suitable brake line.
His alternative was to use the Goodridge build aline system, however they state a turn around of 2 weeks +.
I'm wondering whether anyone here has replaced their R1150RT hoses to braided, and which company did they use. Thanks,

My tuppence....

Having just put new lines on my (non-ABS) GS - I would say that if he/you are not happy measuring up yourself - then do send your existing lines into the supplier. I bought correct-for-my-bike off-the-shelf Goodriche hoses and found that they either didn't fit at all (top section - my fault - forgot about the risers :blast), or where a poor fit - (bottom section - length seemed good in theory but put far too much stress (for my liking) on the banjo/hose connection points).

In the end I measured up carefully myself and used the Venhill online line-builder thingamejig - these fit much more neatly, with no stressed/cinched areas and just the right amount of free movement. The only thing I don't like about the Venhill kit is that the t-connector is not as nice as the Goodriche one! Delivered in only a couple of days too.

N

PS - I ditched the stock junction connector bolted to the frame under the tank and went straight from the M/C to the t-connector. If I were doing it again, I would keep the that stock junction connector as I discovered it has a handy extra bleed nipple, and gives more flexibility for changing the upper length for different handlebars/positions/etc later on if necc. without having to change out the entire hose.

bandytales, thanks, but I'm trying to eliminate the need to join the hose from the master cylinder to the redundant abs joint at the front of the tank.

The HEL website has a custom build section where you just enter your measurements and what type of fittings you require and out pops a price. Any problems give them a ring as their customer service is excellent.

bandytales, thanks, but I'm trying to eliminate the need to join the hose from the master cylinder to the redundant abs joint at the front of the tank.

That liking union is quite useful as you can also bleed air out at that point. Sometimes bleeding the front end of these RT's can be long winded.

Many thanks to all contributors, especially Sgt Pluck and bandytales for their input. Ordered the Goodridge ones from Motorworks for the standard abs set up BRA11544. He wants it standard lines.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom