Votes: 32 5.7%
  • Cajasahel

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Jesse metal boxes

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 72 12.9%

• Total voters
I've just ordered a set from Metal Mule. I have to say I've been impressed with the service from Paul and looking forward to getting them in time to go on my hols at the end of the month.

I'd agree with the comment about good service from Paul at Metal Mule. Top bloke in answering my stupid questions following my inability to read the instructions!!

Easy to fit, very secure and seem to swallow everything I can think of. They come off in seconds and are powder coated in a cool looking dark grey. Top kit!

Pelican cases

I like these. They are easy to get in the US, relatively cheap ($70-75 US) and are waterproof airtight and hold as much as the system cases. I run the 1520's mounted on the lids so the stuff inside doesn't fall out. The only downside is that they are side open only.....

Manzanar.jpeg

Just bought some Jesse Panniers from Kiwi Bob for my 1200GS. What fantastic service - 8 days after sending an email they were delivered to my home in Newcastle. I am really pleased with their strength as I didn't think that the BMW ones, that I originally bought with the bike, would last very long as they flex rather a lot. The quality of the Jesse panniers really exceeds my expectations.

wilbjr21 said:
Just bought some Jesse Panniers from Kiwi Bob for my 1200GS. What fantastic service - 8 days after sending an email they were delivered to my home in Newcastle.....

Another vote for Kiwi Bob and the Jesse panniers here. Rode over there (Germany) and Bob fitted them while we were there (to the 1150GS).

Great service, nice bloke and v pleased with the result. :)

(Also bought some Cee Bailey inner bags designed for the Jesses from Sportouring.co.uk (Woodys Importarium) - two pannier bags and two lid bags...they look the business too...good service from them as well).

All this will be getting a 'proper' test shortly. :)

jesse luggage

Jesse Luggage.- Having given the cases a "proper test" (New zealand, Australia & U.S.) I agree with what others have said about Jesse Luggage and Kiwi Bob - great guy, great product. I also spoke to Al (Jesse) on a couple of occasions and He was really helpful as well. Quick delivery apart from parcelfarce losing it in Nottingham sorting office (They found the parcel 2 days later still under the counter apparently !). My only critisism is that the locks could be tougher - Some low life forced the locks somewhere between Sydney and Long Beach docks. Next time there will be padlocks on as well.- But I would still make the same choice.
sorry I know there are two Identical posts but I can not delete one.

jesse luggage

Jesse Luggage.- Having given the cases a "proper test" (New zealand, Australia & U.S.) I agree with what others have said about Jesse Luggage and Kiwi Bob - great guy, great product. I also spoke to Al (Jesse) on a couple of occasions and He was really helpful as well. Quick delivery apart from parcelfarce losing it in Nottingham sorting office (They found the parcel 2 days later still under the counter apparently !). My only critisism is that the locks could be tougher - Some low life forced the locks somewhere between Sydney and Long Beach docks. Next time there will be padlocks on as well.- But I would still make the same choice.
jesse.jpg

That'll be the Vern's then...

Narrow set (2" narrower than Paul G's), anodised silver, unbelievably strong, waterproof (sorry Mike O), beautiful craftsmanship and will melt EVERYTHING in the left pannier unless you fit an heatshield and exhaust extension tube.
Simply excellent (and despite being narrower than B*W system cases, take TWICE as much!).

Attachments

• vern panniers 2.jpg
    vern panniers 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,565
I use a pair of Beemers plastic ones (can't afford them posh ally ones), got them for £65 second hand (lookin at them though they were probably 4th or 5th hand!) after a bit of wet & dry & a couple of cans of "black bumper paint" they look pretty good. As for inner bags, you can get a whole roll from most supermarkets for a quid !

;) :beerjug:

Caja sahel

I took ages to decide which of the many variants of ali boxes to have, and these are excellent IMHO both in quality and value. Bearing in mind they are made to order the turn around time (including a bank holiday and a certain Liverpool footie match) they were delivered in 2 weeks, and they are not even the standard set. Only one very small problem was the exhaust needed to be spaced out from the rear footrest bracket by 10mm (no real problem, slightly longer bolt fitted with M12 nut as spacer). They even come with a exhaust extension to direct the heat away. All in all brilliant and very, very strong. As the gate post will tell you!!!!!! See Aug 2005 Ride magazine GS feature for pics of them fitted.

Well done Civil,

from a very happy customer:beerjug:

Caja Sahel

This is an email i have had from a Customer of mine regarding
his Trip from Belgium to Iceland.

Hi Philip,

Trip to Iceland was as if I was biking on the moon. Just perfect :)
We(2 persons on the 1150GS, 2 Caja Sahel panniers, 1 Givi Maxia topcase
with rack (tent on top)and 1 BMW tankbag) did more than 4000km over
there of which 1500km were offroad.
Panniers had a hard time : tik-tak-tok said the stones, splash did the
water (12 river crossings).
Panniers performed perfectly.
Yesterday, they were cleaned and now they're waiting for new horizons.
First impression : 9/10 (because 10 doesn't exsist).

Best regards,

I Have Built my Panniers to be the BEST pannier system your
Money can Buy.

Attachments

• koffer4.jpg
    koffer4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,611
Well that's just shameless self promotion! (Good on you for the Ride pics). :)

Cajasahel.com

Well that's just shameless self promotion

Yes , i am 100% Guilty of this shameless self promotion.
I am a very new entrant to this market and as such dont have
the Numbers to make an impact on this poll.
I am genuine when i say i aim to make the BEST panniers on the
market. Which i believe they are.
The Caja sahel system does not take any shortcuts what so ever
they are built to be truly capable of a RTW trip as Std.
I do not use any Glue , i do not use rivets , they are
watertight /airtight, Secure ,and are capable of taking a fall.With these Panniers there is no opt out. These are welded , and folded , the strongest possible way of building any alloy box.
They are Actually cost based , not a pie in the sky Figure that
the others charge. And there is also a custom service.
There is no better case. Of this i am 100% confident.

Hows that for shameless self promotion.

Attachments

• koffer3.jpg
    koffer3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,563
unfortunately the caja sahel aren't available for the 1200...will have to look at something else...

very happy with Hepco und Becker Journey cases, they look like they were made for the GS, very sturdy and watertight.

CAJA Sahal

A good product, took mine to Serbia/Romania, had low speed spills on either side, no problems at all.
People who looked at the hogroast were all impressed.
Thank you Philip, good stuff.

iva a set of system ones with all the lids under the sun , i only use em when i know im gonna be buyingor carrying lots of stuff ,

tbh i cant see the point of them , panniers that is , they destroy one of the sole purposes of the bike , filtering (the other being speed) all the panniers ive seen just make the bike so wide im forever taking mirrors off .
last time i rode with the panniers on (standard lids) was a day i had to deliver some medical equipment from leeds to a lab in wakefield in rushour , i did ok from the pickup point till the M621 (no mirrors destroyed) but from the M621 to the turnoff in wakefield on the M1 i took off/wacked 19 mirrors ! People that know the m1 on a fri rushour know its a carpark

dont use em anymore , 52l top box , some ratchet straps and some bungees to strap stuff to the pillion seat and ya fine .... u wouldnr belive some of the shit ive had on the pillion seat!!

Back
Top Bottom