Electrics

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve started looking at the electrics on my scrambler build, I’m going to use as much of the original loom as I can. It’s an ex police bike so I was expecting a few extra wires etc but the headlight shell was rammed with relays and wires and a connection board. Am I right in assuming the board is connected to the police equipment.

If it’s a custom build,why are you using the original loom?
I’d junk the lot and build a new loom using moto gadget stuff or a pdm60
It will be far more reliable than the wiring on a 40 year old ex police bike( I know this from experience)
You will probably end up doing this anyway after spending days chasing electrical gremlins:comfort

If it’s a custom build,why are you using the original loom?
I’d junk the lot and build a new loom using moto gadget stuff or a pdm60
It will be far more reliable than the wiring on a 40 year old ex police bike( I know this from experience)
You will probably end up doing this anyway after spending days chasing electrical gremlins:comfort

Having tried to untangle the bunch of spaghetti I agree with you,motogadget it is then.

It is probably possible to spend well over $2000- dollars on a G/S electrical renovation if you replace all the switches, relays, PCB, indicators and sub looms,etc, and the main loom is probably around 10% of that. DAHIK
So if the price of the main loom is putting you off replacing it, dont think about starting on the rest!

I prefer the Pdm ,feel free to call.

Cheers Mike,I’ve just looked at the PDM60, it looks a nice piece of kit. I’m on holiday for a few weeks ,I’m going to order one when I get back, so I’ll probably give you a ring for fitting advice.

Having custom wired several airheads to get that mess out of the heads shell, I would definitely go with Moto Gadget or similar. The stock wiring is shite anyway as half of it isn't even fused.

Another vote for Motogadget after doing two re-wires with them, one on an R100R, one on a ducati 900SS.

Not wanting to start a debate,
But,,,,,
The moto gadget unit is a bit shite where the wires terminate.
A hotspot for corrosion ,vibration breakages and future problems.
Unless you go the whole way with switchgear,keyless etc etc where is the advantage?
The pdm is far more robust,has decent length wiring coming out of it ,and is 1/2 the money.
That said a £10 fuse box will do the job equally well.
I like the pdm,for a basic install,you can’t go far wrong,but it has enough outputs to cope with the busiest of harnesses.

It is probably possible to spend well over $2000- dollars on a G/S electrical renovation if you replace all the switches, relays, PCB, indicators and sub looms,etc, and the main loom is probably around 10% of that. DAHIK
So if the price of the main loom is putting you off replacing it, dont think about starting on the rest!
This is very true
For a high spec bespoke loom with the trimmings
Alternator upgrade £400
Solid state ign £250
Pdm60 £140
Lithium battery £160
Dayna coil/ leads £150
New bmw switch gear £160
Relays ,connectors,wire ,flasher unit,hd cable,heatshrink,loom tape,etc£150,
Plus two days to join the dots,that’s before you add in the lights,indicators,clocks etc etc.
The installation on this bike if the labour was charged at retail would be closer to £2.5k:eek:

Attachments

• 4F5B9338-AF6F-4AF8-A6DD-B77CC57ABDFE.jpg
    4F5B9338-AF6F-4AF8-A6DD-B77CC57ABDFE.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 249
I prefer the Pdm ,feel free to call.
Just had a look at the pdm60 , it seems a good bit of kit , I may use this on my guzzi build .
I have an munit on my airhead and it’s been faultless.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Mike

Ive got a PDM60 on my oilhead, and while its great for adding stuff like heated gear, aux lights etc I cant really see how it compares to the motogadget m-unit (which i have for my airhead) for a complete bespoke loom replacement. The benefit of the m-unit for me is taking out the need for many of the relays and fuses required, indicators plug n play etc. The PDM60 for me lacks enough individual trigger options, meaning adding relays for pretty much everything you want switchable.

Would love to see a diagram for a pdm60 rewire if you have one handy Mike. I know you know your stuff, so would be interesting to see and learn something.

This is very true
For a high spec bespoke loom with the trimmings
Alternator upgrade £400
Solid state ign £250
Pdm60 £140
Lithium battery £160
Dayna coil/ leads £150
New bmw switch gear £160
Relays ,connectors,wire ,flasher unit,hd cable,heatshrink,loom tape,etc£150,
Plus two days to join the dots,that’s before you add in the lights,indicators,clocks etc etc.
The installation on this bike if the labour was charged at retail would be closer to £2.5k:eek:

That PD looks nice...:augie

I’ve started looking at the electrics on my scrambler build, I’m going to use as much of the original loom as I can. It’s an ex police bike so I was expecting a few extra wires etc but the headlight shell was rammed with relays and wires and a connection board. Am I right in assuming the board is connected to the police equipment.

You haven't said the year of your bike but that is a totally standard fuseboard from a pre-1981 bike.

When I rewired my G/S I added the Eastern Beaver fuse board and their heavy duty headlight harness, extended the stock fuse lines to that board and fed other voltage sensitive components and accessories through it and a relay activated by the stock switched feed.
I had already replaced both the handlebar and the ignition switches with new stock items, and FWIW there is simply no space on the bars on my G/S for aftermarket switches anyway.
There are probably more more sophisticated boards around, but the EB and a few relays was all I needed, and they work satisfactorily.
No need to mention I am probably too dump to work out how to fit a Motogadget anyway!
And I thing gadget is the operative part of the title -----.

Ive got a PDM60 on my oilhead, and while its great for adding stuff like heated gear, aux lights etc I cant really see how it compares to the motogadget m-unit (which i have for my airhead) for a complete bespoke loom replacement. The benefit of the m-unit for me is taking out the need for many of the relays and fuses required, indicators plug n play etc. The PDM60 for me lacks enough individual trigger options, meaning adding relays for pretty much everything you want switchable.

Would love to see a diagram for a pdm60 rewire if you have one handy Mike. I know you know your stuff, so would be interesting to see and learn something.
Only two relays needed,one for starter inhibitor,one for flashers.
Very simple,in fact it’s so simple I don’t use a diagram,I just work it out in my head as I go.
Most installs will vary a bit due to different components and positioning of them due to space restraints.

Only two relays needed,one for starter inhibitor,one for flashers.
Very simple,in fact it’s so simple I don’t use a diagram,I just work it out in my head as I go.
Most installs will vary a bit due to different components and positioning of them due to space restraints.

cheers for that, makes sense. how do you handle the headlight dip/main without relays? headlight always on and full beam through the 'ignition and ground' trigger?

Just use one pdm output for the lights,
The standard Bmw switch gear only uses one feed,dip turns off as main comes on,simply spur off before the switch for side and tail,
With a dual light configuration the feed from the pdm can go straight to dip/side and switched main

Back
Top Bottom