Front end bobbing

John237084

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just had the tyres changed, on my 800 GSA TE, from Tourance Next to Conti Trail Attack 2's.

Riding home last night the front end was bobbing, not dangerously, but more annoyingly. It wasn't doing this with the Next's on, but I don't think it's a change in tyre, more something wrong with the fitting.

It happens at all speeds, so I didn't think it was a balance issue. Just feels really weird.

What was a perfectly good bike, is now driving me to distraction!

It's back in the garage on Monday, so they can re-balance the wheel.

Has anyone else had this?

Cheers

John.

This happens occasionally; check the tyre beads are running true with the rim, both sides. Sounds like the tyre isn't seated on its beads correctly, so isn't running true - just sit her on the main stand, weight the rear, spin the front wheel & see if there is an obvious run-out. If there is, inflate the tyre to it's max pressure (see tyre sidewall; usually c.60psi) & see if the beads true up, with a 'pop'. Once true, the wheel will probably need a re-balance.

If this doesn't fix things, then the tyre carcass could be distorted due to fitting or storage damage.

Top advice from squibb34 :thumb2

Have encountered it before on a pals bike.

If you do suspect that the tyre isn't fitted correctly, I'd take it back to the fitting place and get them to do the de-flation / re-inflation as they will have tyre soap which will get the bead seated far easier on re-inflation.

I've a TKC80 on the front of my F8GS and the knobblies send a real judder up the front of the bike at lower speeds on the road. Feels a bit like bobbing I suppose!

SteveT

:cool:

It's worth a quick check to see if they rotate the correct way ie see direction arrow on side wall :rob

My money is on the bead not being seated, you can normally see it visually is you look at the tyre right by the rim you should see it is not equidistant all round the tyre

I Had the same issue with a newly Fitted Anakee 3 a year or so back . had bead, fitting and balance checked still did it .. tyre was sent back to Michelin to be checked and I suspect it was found to be out of shape They didn't say.. they did however replace it with a new one .. which was great :)

I've had a duff (twisted carcass) front T/A 2, worth taking wheel off and run it up on a balancing machine to check

Took it back and they tried to re-balance it.

It didn't work. I asked about balancing the rear and was told it's pointless, as it doesn't do anything and any unbalanced forces will be soaked up by the shock.

They have ordered new tyres and tried again, only this time they balanced the rear too, and it took 50 grams!!!!

It was a little better, but I've opted to try the new tyres.

Did you watch the action unfold? Did they check whether the beads were seated correctly & then for carcass distortion/run-out?

Seems the outfit is a bit 'wild west' - what utter BS they are giving you.
50 grams too - does the coloured dot fitting marker marry up with the tyre valve I wonder?

Better luck next time.

I would not be giving that tyre fitters my business in future - you are being fobbed off. Their statement re balancing the rear is at best ignorance/stupidity on their part, at worst (and most likely) downright lies/malpractice.

Back
Top Bottom