Bendy oil filter query. (Oil cooler fitted)

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So ... started doing an oil change to the airhead. When I did the last one, I fitted the filter, then the white silicon outer ring, then the steel "compressor" ring, then the black rubber inner ring (on the cover). All as per the originals which I noted before removing the old filter the last time. Opens up the new filter and Motorworks, bless them, have included 2 each of the above! Is it me? Is it them? Am I paranoid? Probably, but some reassurance would be appreciated!

Go here. http://largiader.com/tech/filters/

Not convinced your assembly order is correct "steel compressor ring (or "shim" as its called :D) -goes between the canister and white o ring. Also, put the o rings on the cover then instal, easier that way.

You're correct of course. I had to hook out the white ring first now I think about it. I can also see that the two shims are to allow for different depths of canister. Last time, I used the existing shim and will do that again. Ta for the reminder!

Nope. There was a gasket (put there by Dr Farkoff, I would assume and 'e knows y'know). I replaced it at the first oil change and have just finished the job and replaced it again.

Thanks Bob. Will pop over for a chinwag soon. You've been out the last couple of times!

And ALWAYS put the shim in first and then the 'O' ring or you'll get the $2000 'O' ring down the side of the canister!

Remember that the canisters can and sometimes do move, so you really have to check that you have the correct compression on the O ring every time, as detailed in Antons site.
The condition of the old O ring can be a bit of a guide - if it looks good enough to reuse something definetly needs changing so that you compress the new one more.

Is there anyway to get the canister further out? Mine takes two shims now.

The only problem I’ve had was when I fitted the paper gasket. Now I just fit new white and black O rings and put a smear of blue hylomar on the cover

I'm not sure what function the paper gasket can have. As far as I can figure The white o-ring seals the engine casing to the filter cover area which is where any oil could escape from., or to put it another way if the paper gasket is to act as a seal then the oil it is sealing in will be oil that has slipped past the white o-ring, and surely I'm better off getting the visual sight of oil leaking to tell me that something is amiss as opposed to having the gasket conceal that?

Is there anyway to get the canister further out? Mine takes two shims now.

Its a press fit into the block. Without a great deal of disassembly its not really viable. Also, if you did all that and managed to reset the depth of the canister, it would almost certainly move again.

In any event, I wouldn't worry, 2 shims is fine. Its not uncommon (and I have seen it) to use more than 2 as well.......

I'm not sure what function the paper gasket can have. As far as I can figure The white o-ring seals the engine casing to the filter cover area which is where any oil could escape from., or to put it another way if the paper gasket is to act as a seal then the oil it is sealing in will be oil that has slipped past the white o-ring, and surely I'm better off getting the visual sight of oil leaking to tell me that something is amiss as opposed to having the gasket conceal that?

You hardly ever need to use the paper gasket - it isnt really there as a seal, its there as part of the shim stack calculations to REDUCE the compression of the white O ring (that is if the canister depth is such, ie shallow, that 1 shim over-compresses the O ring a paper gasket will ease it a bit back into tolerance).

Most of the issues I have seen with oil filter related problems/leaks etc is due to operator error where its assumed that more gaskets/more shims/applying unneeded sealants etc means better sealing thus it must be good right? .....Nope!

Remember that the canisters can and sometimes do move, so you really have to check that you have the correct compression on the O ring every time, as detailed in Antons site.
The condition of the old O ring can be a bit of a guide - if it looks good enough to reuse something definetly needs changing so that you compress the new one more.

This ^^

I check mine every other oil change (but as I change my oil at half BMW's recommend interval ie every 3000 miles it gets done at the "normal" intervals IYSWIM)

Its a press fit into the block. Without a great deal of disassembly its not really viable. Also, if you did all that and managed to reset the depth of the canister, it would almost certainly move again.

In any event, I wouldn't worry, 2 shims is fine. Its not uncommon (and I have seen it) to use more than 2 as well.......

Ta :)

Back
Top Bottom