Get The Sandwiches Ready - GSA Rear Wheel Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
EEK, I wonder if alloys would withstand an errant caliper?
I'm off to tap tap and torque torque before tomorrow morning's ride .

Bit more than spokes I reckon, but torque wrench will be out in the morning...............I see panic setting in sandwich time

I have never known BMW service to replace the caliper bolts.
This is my experience too. 24nm is not exactly in the territory of stretch bolts and on my bikes I tend to remove the calipers for cleaning fairly regularly and have never replaced the bolts. They get brass brushed to remove old locktite the re-loctited and torqued up.
Alan R

This is my experience too. 24nm is not exactly in the territory of stretch bolts and on my bikes I tend to remove the calipers for cleaning fairly regularly and have never replaced the bolts. They get brass brushed to remove old locktite the re-loctited and torqued up.
Alan R

The bolts are into alloy casting so explains the low torque setting, they get hot and cold as the brakes are used so use the thread lock to stop them falling out.

Lets just hope this is a one off if it is the cause of the crash and not something that will catch out DIY owners without the dvd manual to refer to in the coming years.

It had just been hilltopped and the first time he used all that extra awesome power to run away from his mate; whoosh; fuckety fuck fuck.

Pretty unnerving to watch... hope he is okay and fully recovers..

Spec says use new bolts and thread lock

Never done this on a oilhead, mine have been in for 13 years
However Torque spec is either 35 or 40 nM, so a fair bit higher torque value that 24nM
BMW service have never replaced my caliper bolts either
Is it a WC thing ?

I’m going to guess that with a 17 plate bike that servicing and repairs are most likely done in BMW dealer workshops?
And that the insurance engineer is going to spot that caliper straight off.
Question is who is paying for all that damage?
Anyroad glad he’s OK

I thought I'd just check the caliper bolts on mine and they had a good smear of copaslip on the threads...

Cleaned internal and external threads with brake cleaner and loctite before torqued back up.

I thought I'd just check the caliper bolts on mine and they had a good smear of copaslip on the threads...

Cleaned internal and external threads with brake cleaner and loctite before torqued back up.

You should replace them now because they are one use only

I suspect that is because of the locking compound that's on them from new, rather than a physical change to the steel? If they were stretch bolts I get why you would replace.

I'm happy that they were spotlessly clean and loctited in.

I suspect that is because of the locking compound that's on them from new, rather than a physical change to the steel? If they were stretch bolts I get why you would replace.

No idea, only that BMW say replace them. Would have thought it's a stretch consideration.

I know Honda do the same thing on some of their bikes too.

The service manual says to clean the threads, new bolts shouldn’t need cleaning, but maybe they are just covering their arses.

Did he change his brake pads himself? May have taken out the rear calipers to clean and not put on properly. Specs says tighten to 28nm. Does not recommend thread lock though

I would suggest that (don’t quote me) self service on brakes, not tightened to to spec, use of knobbly tyres at motorway speeds (vibration) have loosened bolts, making them work their way out and as a result calliper colliding with the rim/spokes.

Another thing to ask, was bike overloaded with all the “must have” kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh fook!!!! you sure you want to do that?

My old boss smeared copper grease on his wheel bolts after changing brakes all round in his van. 5 weeks later nearside front wheel came off and rear nearside wobbled like fook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom