Get The Sandwiches Ready - GSA Rear Wheel Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often should I check the fixing before BMW do a recall to lock-wire all the bolts and/or replace the castings?

Probably the same sot of timings as the rear shock mount on the RT fiasco and the front forks on GS's ... :augie

I rode all the way from Tempsford to Stroud on Saturday and back again on Sunday - my rear brake caliper didn't fall off.

How often should I check the fixing before BMW do a recall to lock-wire all the bolts and/or replace the castings?

Have a guess .. let us know when you do it, with pictures please :D

I rode all the way from Tempsford to Stroud on Saturday and back again on Sunday - my rear brake caliper didn't fall off.

You do worry far to much just wear some CE approved gloves and you will be protected. :green gri

I had my CE approved gloves on and I kept the labels in as I will be going to France in the Summer and those Gendarmes are sneaky bar-stewards.

Yep and be careful they also have torque wrenches in France, imagine if they checked your bolts............:moped::moped::moped:

Rear caliper falling off??

It's a Harley...like it would make a difference lol

Hi, Had the exact same thing happen to me!! It's the rear caliper falling off!! £650 lighter for S/h parts. All fixed now with titanium bolts and LOCKWIRED together, they will NEVER unscrew again. BMW didn't want to know. We had just done the welsh rally,travelled to scotland to watch six days trials, then north coast 500 the following sunday,Then did John o Groats to Land's End in daylight on the Monday and travelling home tuesday it happend on M5 near Bristol on the way home. Nearly 3000 miles in 12 days. PLEASE REPLACE YOUR BOLTS TO BE ABLE TO LOCKWIRE THEM so it dosn't happen to anybody else, OR end up KILLING someone. Sorry but I feel its that serious!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Had the exact same thing happen to me!! It's the rear caliper falling off!! £650 lighter for S/h parts. All fixed now with titanium bolts and LOCKWIRED together, they will NEVER unscrew again. BMW didn't want to know. We had just done the welsh rally,travelled to scotland to watch six days trials, then north coast 500 the following sunday,Then did John o Groats to Land's End in daylight on the Monday and travelling home tuesday it happend on M5 near Bristol on the way home. Nearly 3000 miles in 12 days. PLEASE REPLACE YOUR BOLTS TO BE ABLE TO LOCKWIRE THEM so it dosn't happen to anybody else, OR end up KILLING someone. Sorry but I feel its that serious!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Ti Bolts on calipers was a big no no !

You could be right? I thought it was always about matching the coefficient of expansion, bolt to caliper, as well as the tensile strength of the bolts.

However, these failures seem to be when the bikes have been cruising rather than during periods of extreme braking (say coming fast down the GG or Silvretta). Some are young low mileage bikes, so overheating of the caliper assembly seems unlikely, even if the sliding pins are sticking. Seems like lockwiring std bolts should be the best insurance, if you believe the bolts are the problem, rather than them being the subject of collateral.

Spokes or no spokes, did the bolts all fall out, how did the caliper get lost, ripped of by wheel, bit more info would be really good, had you loosened the caliper before and not replaced bolts.........

Here we go, another GSA Crisis Recall....

If it's not the front wheel falling off, it's the rear wheel falling off....

Here we go, another GSA Crisis Recall....

If it's not the front wheel falling off, it's the rear wheel falling off....

My bike is a 2016 ex BMW off road school bike. I bought it Jan 2017 with 3000 miles its now done 24000, it had a "rip off" 2nd service at may 2017 at local BMW dealer, since then I've looked after it myself and the rear caliper has never been off by me???? Yes the only things missing were the caliper bolts all threads an mountings are ok!!?? It was 100% bolts came out with caliper falling into rear wheel spokes. I am a fully qualified motorcycle mechanic with over 45 years in the trade !!!!!! This is going to kill someone soon!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom