Help Required, Cutting Out GS800

neil harper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help please, I have owned this 2008 GS800 for about 2 years and it has been totally reliable, its now done 20,000 miles. when heading home this afternoon, the bike started cutting out. When driving along at a steady pace the bike just cut out for a few seconds then carried on for about 10 seconds then did exactly the same. There was no warning or change to the ignition lights. It didn't misfire or hesitate, just cut out for a second or two them fired back up on its own ? almost like somebody turning the key on and off. I have just had it on my 911 and the following results have come up.
10168 Electric fuel pump faulty
The fault is not presently known
Occured once
Log count 39
Unknown symptom state
Measured fuel pressure .39HPA
Throttle valve angle .39%
Electric fuel pump voltage 14.13v
Engine speed 16000 rpm

I guess its looking like the fuel pump, but would like to a bit more certain before ordering a new one.

This is the first time i have checked the fault codes so it maybe worth clearing them and having a run out tomorrow. Any help gratefully accepted
Thanks in advance Neil

Definitely sounds like fuel, I had the exact same symptoms when I ran out of fuel due to a dud fuel strip. Clearing the error and running it again sounds like a sure way to confirm it though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Help please, I have owned this 2008 GS800 for about 2 years and it has been totally reliable, its now done 20,000 miles. when heading home this afternoon, the bike started cutting out. When driving along at a steady pace the bike just cut out for a few seconds then carried on for about 10 seconds then did exactly the same. There was no warning or change to the ignition lights. It didn't misfire or hesitate, just cut out for a second or two them fired back up on its own ? almost like somebody turning the key on and off. I have just had it on my 911 and the following results have come up.
10168 Electric fuel pump faulty
The fault is not presently known
Occured once
Log count 39
Unknown symptom state
Measured fuel pressure .39HPA
Throttle valve angle .39%
Electric fuel pump voltage 14.13v
Engine speed 16000 rpm

I guess its looking like the fuel pump, but would like to a bit more certain before ordering a new one.

This is the first time i have checked the fault codes so it maybe worth clearing them and having a run out tomorrow. Any help gratefully accepted
Thanks in advance Neil

Engine speed 16000 rpm is this a typo or the reading you got if so you might have other issues?

cheers guys your brilliant, the problem started after leaving the bike outside a cafe at lunch time in the blazing sun, and bloody hell it was roasting. I think that coupled with low fuel probably caused my problem. Its my own fault, I was telling a bloke this morning that the GS800 was the best bike I've ever owned, serves me right.
Looks like it might be worth getting a cheap pump of ebay.
Thanks again Neil

a couple of years ago riding in spain on my 800gs bike started cutting out, it was bloody warm that day and we riding at steady 75mph, made it to fuel station filled it up and then kept the fuel topped up more regular than i normally would,i had no more problems.sorry its not the definite answer but worked for me.

I had same problem on a 2009 gs a few years ago. Happened intermittently when the weather was hot. Long story but changing the fuel pump and controller solved it. In the OP’s case pump would be my main suspect.

Back
Top Bottom