Replacing ancient Zumo

Gaulois

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My zumo (400? 500? bought 2004 - I think) seems to have finally given up the ghost. To be fair it's had a pretty rough time and has survived being dropped, crashed and bouncing around in a half empty top box without ever giving me any gyp :thumb

I'd like to replace it with another Garmin. I've looked at their site and the sumo 396 LMTS seems pretty good value. I'm not particularly bothered about music etc. The unit will be going on an 1150gs so no need for bells and whistles.

What I am interested in is the Lifetime maps for Europe AND whether the unit can be loaded up with Openstreetmap maps on a micro-sd card (I think it can but the blurb wasn't really clear.) as I could on my old Zumo (v useful for trip to Iran and Turkey). Also is the 396 reliable or should I shell out a little more for one of the more expensive units?

Not sure about openstreetmaps someone will be along to verify that, however LM means lifetime maps (if you didn't know that already)
I am not certain how it compares to the 395LM in value and functionality but the 395LM is a great unit.

Only reason to shell out more money is if you need a larger screen.

Most, if not all, Garmin devices will run Open Street Maps.

If you are not too bothered about music and all the other bells and whistles of the latest devices, have a look at finding a secondhand Garmin 550. I loaded some fresh maps onto one a couple of weeks ago on behalf of a friend. I had forgotten what a really good device they were. Failing that and if you want the slightly bigger screen, then a 660 or its BMW branded equivalent.

Don’t though rule out a secondhand later / latest generation Garmin device, if you can find one at a decent knockdown price. They too are very good. You are not obliged to use any of the homeinfotainment options; I don’t. In short: Anything from the 550 and onwards will suit you very well.

I should have added. If you are not so much bothered about plotting your own routes (or are prepared to do a little bit of work when doing so) and want to use a modern smart phone instead, the Kurviger / Scenic app’s should suit you very well. They both use Open Street Maps (and others) for their base.

The only bits of care you might need to take would be:

Waterproofing the phone

Watching the possible exposure to heat

If the phone parts company with the bike, you lose your GPS device AND phone simultaneously

Thanks for the info. I'll look into 2nd hand ones of all vintages as my Zumo was as solid as a brick and always performed really well. The Kurviger software seems great but sadly iPhones can't play.

Even with with my iPhone in a RAM X-mount, which seems really solid, it never seems quite as safe as it did with the Zumo which felt like you could chuck it under a bus without even scratching it. :thumb2

I know someone who may well have a fully functional 550 for sale, plus some bits, cradle etc. I think all it might need is a new power lead.

There is a workround to the poor bluetooth option offered by the Zumo 550

The 550 for some reason uses a Parrot 5000 bluetooth module , and not the later 5050 module

This means you dont get stereo bluetooth output, but mono bluetooth.

OK in practice, but if you choose to use the mp3 bluetooth option as well, it shows the failing of the bluetooth module

MP3's crackle and are choppy, which is irritating and makes the mp3 option worthless.

Workround 1

Sync headset with 550 and just use the GPS abilites of the unit
If you want to listen to MP3's / phone use your phone to sync with headset and play music that way

Workaround 2

Ebay is your friend ;) £7 buys you a stereo bluetooth transmitter with 3.5mm input plug

Plug this into the headphone socket on the powered zumo mount.

Set the zumo to output MP3/ phone / Nav

Connect bluetooth transmitter to helmet .

the bluetooth transmitter is the size of a small battery so easy to mount, battery life is 5- 8hrs

Power leads are easily abailable on ebay, the connecting BMW plug and flylead is about £11 if i recall

Most, if not all, Garmin devices will run Open Street Maps.

If you are not too bothered about music and all the other bells and whistles of the latest devices, have a look at finding a secondhand Garmin 550. I loaded some fresh maps onto one a couple of weeks ago on behalf of a friend. I had forgotten what a really good device they were. Failing that and if you want the slightly bigger screen, then a 660 or its BMW branded equivalent.

Don’t though rule out a secondhand later / latest generation Garmin device, if you can find one at a decent knockdown price. They too are very good. You are not obliged to use any of the homeinfotainment options; I don’t. In short: Anything from the 550 and onwards will suit you very well.

On the old Zumo 550 you can still have music loaded on the SD card.

Back
Top Bottom