Which Metzeler tyres..

Hallstar

Reaction score
I’ve had my GS LC since Feb and haven’t ridden it on anything other than the Pilot Road 4 Trails that it came with.

I’m off to France/Germany next week and have noted today that the PR4T’s won’t last the trip, so I need to get some new shoes.

What tyres have you guys tried and tested and found to suit the bike?

I’ve favoured the Metzeler Roadtec 01’s on previous bikes, has anyone had any experience of them on the GC LC?

I’m also being told to heavily consider the Tourance Next’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Roadtec01 is a very good tire as also the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 which is also made by Metzeler in Germany.I don't remember which one I liked better as they are both very good on the GS.
It is the successor to the Tourance Next and a little longer lasting and quicker steering.
Also very good is the Conti Road Attack 3 which might be the best if it last as long as the other two.I don't know yet after 1100 miles...
Try all 3 and tell us which one you like best...;)

I run tourance next on my 2017 LC,they are excellent tyres and would recommend them. However I had Roadtec 01’s on a previous RT and am tempted to fit those next as I don’t think I will be off roading anytime soon.decisions decisions....

I have the Tourance Next on my Explorer. They are okay but I am pretty sure that a sport touring tyre like the Roadtec 01 will be better.

Past experience of going from old style Tourance on my R1150GS to Conti Road Attack and going from OE Battlewings on my Super Tenere to PR3 Trail is what I am basing my views on. I really can't see the point of Tourance or Anakee tyres except for the visual appearance of faux off road ability. If you are going to go off road then you will be fitting Karoos or TKC80.

I currently run Avon Storm 3D XM on my other bike and these are lovely. I might give them a go on the Explorer in due course.

It all depends, what surfaces you'll be riding on.

If, it was a mixture of dry tracks and tarmac Tourance next, if it is road with the occasional gravel/solid surface either pr4t or Avon trailrider.

If purely road miles, then best stick with road 5 or T31.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Try the black ones. You are not racing around a circuit, the worn tyres feels like crap so new tyres will be like night and day, you will not run out of tyre on a GS/GSA (trust me I have tried), it is 19 inch front and 2 inches less than the remote feeling 21 inch, steering is not instant. So pick a tyre, fit it, ride it and if you don't like it after 6k miles try another one until you found one you like. Simples.

I’ve been one of the biggest fans of Tourane Next tyres and have gone through at least six sets of them. However, as has been pointed out on another thread they are now made in a different country and the quality has definitely changed. They start cupping quite bad after 1500 miles and from goes out of shape after 2500. I will not be buying them again.

The latest Tourance Next, are now without doubt the worst tyre money can buy. PR4 Trail cracking tyre.

If it says trail normally means stiff sidewall designed for adventure bikes, so stick with something that says trail, or go with MICHELIN Anakee III tyres, I like them others complain of noise, but shit I cannot hear anything on a bike.

Thanks gents.

I think I’m going to go with another set of PR4T’s.

Am I right in thinking there is now a PR5T?

Much difference?

Anakee III here, wearing earplugs I can't hear tyre noise regardless of what's fitted but I've had 5 sets and they work brilliantly for me both dry and wet.

I'm sure there are 100% road tyres that last longer, I don't monitor what I get out of them, stick em on, ride it, replace when worn out...simples!

Thanks gents.

I think I’m going to go with another set of PR4T’s.

Am I right in thinking there is now a PR5T?

Much difference?

Yes, the road 5 handles better when even 50% worn compaired to a new pr4, and has a longer life too.

I don’t think the PR5 is available for the LC yet.

After my faulty Tourance Next front tyre debacle I ended up with old style Tourance. I’m quite liking them but will I go TN again? Hmmmmm.

There are doubts over PR4 and punctures, so despite them being good for grip and longevity - I would recommend Metz -01.

Better in my opinion than the PR4, and you should get 5,000m out of the rear (maybe 7,000 out of a front)

Al

There are doubts over PR4 and punctures, so despite them being good for grip and longevity - I would recommend Metz -01.

Better in my opinion than the PR4, and you should get 5,000m out of the rear (maybe 7,000 out of a front)

Al

Are you sure its not the roads in Fife full of nails.................:hide:hide:hide

Not according to two dealers in Edinburgh that I discussed this with last week, whilst getting new tyres fitted.

No more or less puncture repairs/claims than any other manufacturer.

Al

Back
Top Bottom