Wicking base-layers

Go into any half decent ‘Adventure’ shop (Cotswold, for instance) or even one of the running shops that now seem to be springing up on every corner and look through their offerings. Then try something as simple as M&S or Primark or TKMax to see what they might have.

The need / desire to wick away sweat, is not unique to motorcycling, though the reasons for the sweat being generated differ between the healthy hiker hitting the hills and Big Bob on his bike in the sun; the solutions are all (near enough) the same.

From there it’s near enough down to taste, style, colours, cost and practicability. Do you want natural wool and risk the moths turning your expensive t-shirt into a string vest? Do you want bright colours or dull greys? Do you mind seams or do you think they’ll chaff your nuts? Do you want crew, roll-neck, v-shaped, zippped or unzipped, t-shirt or long sleeve? The choice is all yours.

I bought Knox after watching my hero The Missenden Flyer.

In the recent hot (ish) weather I wore the leggings under my leathers on Monday but didn't yesterday - my legs were sweating yesterday but not on Monday when I wore the base layer - the temps were similar on both days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6uchejImP0

Well aren’t the sarcasm levels running high today!

I appreciate that a mere Google search (other search engines are available) would produce a wealth of answer, and it did.. but mostly relating to providing additional warmth, not so much towards cooling down.

So I thought it safe to turn to a prominent motorcycle forum to seek real world opinions from real world riders, who would likely have experienced such quandaries as I myself now find myself facing, and may wish to offer their personal and subjective feedback of the options they chose to overcome..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not especially, but one can if you require.

I use one from aldi, made from bamboo fibres, wicks nice and drip dries overnight should it get pongy after a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Decathlon.......:thumb2:thumb2

I've used all the expensive stuff over the years and it is exceptional. BUT now this stuff is commonly available in many places and Decathlon have some great stuff. I use the same gear for Skiing and for Cycling and also on the GS.

Simply use the layering principles

Hallstar, see posts #23 and #24, both of which confirm the sentiments expressed in post #21. Enjoy your searches for the underwear that suits you best.

Thanks all.

I found I had a voucher for Infinity Motorcycles from points from the purchase of a helmet, so I cashed it in for a set of EDZ All Climate layers.

Will let you know how I get on with them

Based on comments in this thread I went ahead and ordered Rukka Max Seamless top and leggings. Best price I could find was €39.95 each from Louis.de which was about a tenner cheaper per item than any other websites I checked. Shipping is quite reasonable too.

Hopefully helps anyone who's considering buying them... :thumb2

Thanks all.

I found I had a voucher for Infinity Motorcycles from points from the purchase of a helmet, so I cashed it in for a set of EDZ All Climate layers.

Will let you know how I get on with them

I read that as: “I’ll let you know how I get them on”.

But, hey, if you’d have stayed in the 1200 section, it may well have been appropriate :beerjug:

Well aren’t the sarcasm levels running high today!

I appreciate that a mere Google search (other search engines are available) would produce a wealth of answer, and it did.. but mostly relating to providing additional warmth, not so much towards cooling down.

So I thought it safe to turn to a prominent motorcycle forum to seek real world opinions from real world riders, who would likely have experienced such quandaries as I myself now find myself facing, and may wish to offer their personal and subjective feedback of the options they chose to overcome..

he came , he asked, he got spanked

what did he expect ?

Based on comments in this thread I went ahead and ordered Rukka Max Seamless top and leggings. Best price I could find was €39.95 each from Louis.de which was about a tenner cheaper per item than any other websites I checked. Shipping is quite reasonable too.

Hopefully helps anyone who's considering buying them... :thumb2

How has your new Rukka kit performed in hot weather? How strongly would you recommend it?

How has your new Rukka kit performed in hot weather? How strongly would you recommend it?

Have to say, very impressed with it. :) I've had a good few opportunities to put it to the test and it works very well. Very comfortable on as its seamless, nice and stretchy too whilst not being as tight as say a compression top. The thin layer it provides under your kit prevents that sticky sensation you get on your arms when you wear a t-shirt under your gear. The wicking effect works well too - when you take the top off after a warm spin, even though it feels damp to the touch, your skin is dry. And the odour management is top notch - even after a long days spin in the heat the gear was pretty fresh. For me that would most certainly not be the case with a normal cotton t-shirt or even a 'technical' type of top.

Only downside I can think of is that over time, it might get a bit 'fluffy' where it gets caught by velcro on your gear. But only extensive use will tell. For the price I paid I'm very happy with it. Has done then job for me when riding in +25deg temps. No regrets in purchasing. :thumb2

Thanks for the advice - which finally inspired me to go buy a set of the Rukka gear. Vest, pants - and a pair of socks.
It all arrived yesterday and was almost immediately put to the test on a day measuring 28.5 on the bike thermometer. It is the most counter intuitive thing I have ever done, putting on a figure hugging, black, long sleeved top and matching long johns on such a hot day - but strolling downstairs in the suit (only short of a cloak for maximum effect) I felt cooler than climbing those same stairs earlier in shorts and T shirt. Very strange.

The bike ride itself was equally surreal. It was not 40C - but still a temp that I would have normally avoided. I could feel the heat of the sun on my face with open visor - but the rest of me - still feeling warm, but undeniably more comfortable than I would have been without the wicking gear. The dominant feeling was one of being within a roomy outer layer of motorbike jacket and trousers - rather than having those items sticking to you with sweat, transferring the heat of the sun directly onto your skin. All in all I could have ridden all day. Amazing.

Further to my earlier comment about the Rukka stuff - which works very well - special mention must be made about the socks I bought. It was almost an afterthought at the time - but that is the bit that will wear out first because that is the bit that I will wear every day rain or shine. It has never been so easy to get my boots off after a day on the bike! Fully recommended

Further to my earlier comment about the Rukka stuff - which works very well - special mention must be made about the socks I bought. It was almost an afterthought at the time - but that is the bit that will wear out first because that is the bit that I will wear every day rain or shine. It has never been so easy to get my boots off after a day on the bike! Fully recommended

Did you get merino wool socks? I've got them for cycling and they are a perfect compliment to the Rukka gear for riding in the heat. Makes a huge difference when your feet aren't baking inside your bike boots. :)

The socks were actually Vanucci Motorradsocke - a snip at £9 from Detlev Louis once you've put your hand up for the vest and pants from the same folks shop. Couldn't agree more with your comments though!

Back
Top Bottom