Help Please - Random Power Failure on 2014 F700GS

AussieDamo

Reaction score
My wife and I live in Newcastle New South Wales, Australia. We both have a F700GS each. Hers is a 2014 model. It has covered a bit under 30,000 kms. It completed a 11,500km trip last September across Oz from Newcastle NSW on the east coast, to Broome Western Aust on the north west coast (and back) without a problem. It had a scheduled service upon returning home. Now, the bike either cuts out occasionally when changing down in the gears (mostly 4 to 3, 3 to 2 or 2 to 1) or stalls when accelerating from stop/idle (eg, starting off when lights turn green). Also the bike will lose power without warning when travelling at speed, eg 80 kph plus. The issue is, this is all random. There is no pattern to these occurrences. So its very difficult to diagnose. Our local BMW workshop is scratching it's collective head trying to figure out what the problem might be. It occurs on smooth roads as well as bumpy trails. At this stage the service guys have installed a new battery (to replace a poorly performing non-genuine/cheap replacement - it wasn't providing enough current to the ignition coils) & a new fuel pump. My wife is riding the bike now to evaluate if these changes are working. Too early to tell yet. So we are wondering if any of you have had a similar problem, or have the experience & expertise to suggest a solution that our local workshop might be missing. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Side stand/clutch interlock switches? The side stand switch gets a hard life down there.

Otherwise there are several posts to check out in the 800 twins section of 'The Bikes'. Have a browse if it's not sorted.

Back
Top Bottom