Does anyone have a foto of a valve to compare mine to

Irishdude

Reaction score
Hello there
I was wondering if anybody has a photo of a valve up close so I can compare it to my intake valves,
I think mine are worn or have a lip on the edge just need to check as I just got the price back for new valves and its more than I want to pay if I can get away with what I have , that would be grand,
Thanks any info would be great

script>

Here is a link to fleabay, to give you an idea of what the valve should be looking like .........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R120...hers-collets-BMW-pt-11347712337-/112658248741

You don't mention year/model/mileage? Valves & guides normally good for at least 60K if kept correctly adjusted, usually far more.

Yours have significant carbon build up & signs of a lean fuel/air mix. Can we see the heads - what are the valve guides & seats like?

Here is a link to fleabay, to give you an idea of what the valve should be looking like .........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R120...hers-collets-BMW-pt-11347712337-/112658248741

You don't mention year/model/mileage? Valves & guides normally good for at least 60K if kept correctly adjusted, usually far more.

Yours have significant carbon build up & signs of a lean fuel/air mix. Can we see the heads - what are the valve guides & seats like?

Ah thanks for that i'll check it out
My bike is from 2002 bmw r1150gsa with 170,000km's on the clock,
the valve stems look ok except of one its not silver colour like the rest it has a bit of a copper look to it.
there doesn't seem to be any play in the valve when its in the guide, a nice tight fit but moves up and down no problem.
The valve seats look ok,
still busy cleaning them
script>

I should be going to the garage tomorrow and I will take some photos of the valves all cleaned up for a better look.

I should be going to the garage tomorrow and I will take some photos of the valves all cleaned up for a better look.

We shall see tomorrow. Can you clarfy what has led you to strip the top end?

At 170k Km, looks like you are burning oil - can you recall oil consumption? Smoke/smell in the exhaust. If the valves/guides seem to be within spec, what are the cylinder bores like?

Then that lean mix look. Is it the same on both cylinders? - what exhaust system are you running? OE? could there be an air-leak in the inlet tract? any uneven running? Any cracks in the heads?

now that I have it stripped I see no cracks in heads on both sides,
engine was totally taken apart to get the job done, photos are in the other thread I had started here .
so far I have only stripped the right head left to follow tomorrow.

I was thinking since the cam chains rails smashed and the chain was whacking all about in there , that's why the timing was off and that might have caused the build up on the valves.
I was on motorway 40 minutes drive from Rotterdam so I just kept going thinking all I need to do is replace tensioner to stop noise :)

I will replace the rings on the piston just in case when I am putting it back together.
I'm at work now and I just received the reply asking how much will they cost the new valves now I'm checking if I really need to replace them all or just the intake valves.
Before this bike broke I was busy with a k100 and I did the valves on that and they didn't have that lip on the edge that these ones do, and that got me thinking ohho.

Noted. TBH, I think I would look at something like this ...............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R115...I6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjE3MTEwOH0=&rmvSB=true

Low mileage, it would save a whole load of hassle

It did cross my mind to get an old engine but at the same time it was winter and I didn't mind learning a thing or two about building an engine,
and besides I have been every where on that bike and am attached to it :)
a few months it should be back on the road again with a few new bits here and there.

It did cross my mind to get an old engine but at the same time it was winter and I didn't mind learning a thing or two about building an engine,
and besides I have been every where on that bike and am attached to it :)
a few months it should be back on the road again with a few new bits here and there.

Nice thought, all good experience. But....... the last time I did a valve job, on a ZXR400, I soon chewed through more than Sherlock wants for that low mileage warranted motor, what with cam chain, gasket sets, valves, guides, springs, seat cutters & various bits & pieces. That was a low mileage bike, all DIY, with nothing passed to third parties to avoid ramping up the costs further. These jobs, on a well used bike like your own, can so easily turn into a money pit.

Just saying.....your bike, your choice.

BTW, that is long term carbon build up on the valve. If you rode on 40 mins, are the piston crowns OK - is there any sign of valve/piston clash, or have you been lucky?

Nice thought, all good experience. But....... the last time I did a valve job, on a ZXR400, I soon chewed through more than Sherlock wants for that low mileage warranted motor, what with cam chain, gasket sets, valves, guides, springs, seat cutters & various bits & pieces. That was a low mileage bike, all DIY, with nothing passed to third parties to avoid ramping up the costs further. These jobs, on a well used bike like your own, can so easily turn into a money pit.

Just saying.....your bike, your choice.

BTW, that is long term carbon build up on the valve. If you rode on 40 mins, are the piston crowns OK - is there any sign of valve/piston clash, or have you been lucky?

Well that's the thing in the head there are 4 valves two big two smaller,
The smaller ones are the ones I am worried about as they seem to have a lip on the edge,
The new ones cost 50 euros each at BMW so I'll probably just get them to replace the ones with the lip unless of course the lip is normal then I'll just clean them as best I can and wack it back together :)

Back
Top Bottom