Recalculation

peter56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have created a route in basecamp and transferred into my Nav 5 and my settings to prompt recalculation. So the route consisting of several way points. While out on route I deliberately went of route to see how the nav would recalculate. It sent me to the next way point then resumed my original planned route. This is exactly what I would hope for. But would it do this if the next point was a shaping point. I ask this because I have a holiday planned for Spain in August and obviously I need to educate myself. I am just looking at a route created in basecamp for Spain. It has a green start then all blue shaping point and the checked finish flag. So would it abandon my planned route and recalculate its own way to the checked flag ignoring my shaping point ?

It would recalculate to the next waypoint and ignore any shaping points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

right so I will need to change shaping points to way points ( orange flags ). If I have them as non alert would this still work

right so I will need to change shaping points to way points ( orange flags ). If I have them as non alert would this still work

I’ve been through this pain. I avoid recalculation as it would recalculate the route based only on waypoints. It depends on how intricate your shaping points are. It may be that the route calculated on the device between waypoints may be the same.

redsmartie thanks for help. What I have done is = edit destinations in nav 5 and changed blue dots (shaping) to way points (orange flags) this should help to keep my route the way I planned it if I recalculate. fingers crossed

I’ve been through this pain. I avoid recalculation as it would recalculate the route based only on waypoints. It depends on how intricate your shaping points are. It may be that the route calculated on the device between waypoints may be the same.

As soon as the Nav tells me I am off route, usually taking the wrong roundabout exit or similar I hit DONT recalculate, stop,do a u turn and get back on the original route. Never hit recalculate as I did in the early days a it totally fcuks the route up I found

As soon as the Nav tells me I am off route, usually taking the wrong roundabout exit or similar I hit DONT recalculate, stop,do a u turn and get back on the original route. Never hit recalculate as I did in the early days a it totally fcuks the route up I found

looks like I should not recalculate but this was part of the reason for having a gps :blast

looks like I should not recalculate but this was part of the reason for having a gps :blast

There’s the problem. This is why many of us go wrong. Following a pre-planned route and having dynamic recalculation of a route that has a destination (even with via points) are two different things.

The device does both but you have to decide which you want to use in any given situation.

And don’t cross the streams.

I think it depends on if you have 'planned' your route or not. If not hit recalculate as you are probably not bothered which way you go as long as you get there easily. If you have spent time planning to go through a particular scenic or interesting area then hitting recalculate may simply mess your route up.

I think it depends on if you have 'planned' your route or not. If not hit recalculate as you are probably not bothered which way you go as long as you get there easily. If you have spent time planning to go through a particular scenic or interesting area then hitting recalculate may simply mess your route up.

yes all planned scenic routes, so need to keep them intact. Will be doing a lot more planned runs in the UK . Learning basecamp better and understanding the Nav 5

OK, I'm going to disagree with some of the statements made above. I've just returned (today!) from 10 days in Spain and Portugal, leading a group. My routes have a start and end waypoint (hotel A and hotel B), and one other waypoint positioned shortly after the start from hotel A so that when I start the route on the Nav V, I choose this 2nd waypoint from the list. All the other points are unannounced shaping points. I leave auto recalc on. I quite often deviate from the route - sometimes the route tries to take me down some bumpy goat track, or a road is blocked, or I miss a turn in a town. No matter, the device just updates the route to the next shaping point. If everything goes tits up, then I restart the route. If I'm on the route, then I just skip the first couple of waypoints (hotel A and the nearby waypoint) and carry on. If I'm off route, then I'll turn off the recalculate and ride back on to the route using the map display. My routes have lots of pointless loops, and are rarely the fastest or shortest way from A to B. One other point - I never make circular routes, always break them into an out section and a return, especially if the out and return routes cross over each other :rob

If you ride a GS with a wonderwheel, turn recalculation off and use the wheel to zoom out of the map when you go off track. You’ll then see how to get back on your desired (planned) route.

If you don’t have a wheel then just stop and zoom out manually.

Tomcat, there are tens of threads on here from people who desperately wish their Nav would behave like yours does. What do you feed it to get it to behave? I imagine you’d at least have to have sex with it or get it drunk every now and again :p

I’ll be the judge of this. I set off at 6am in the morning to do my NC500 route. If I mess up again you’ll be the first to know. ;)

If you get lost between Ullapool and Tongue you’ll be going some :p

Enjoy! and if you pass through Kinlochewe try the Whistle Stop Cafe (except Sundays - och, ye’ll no be wanting bacon on the sabbath, ken?)

Tomcat, there are tens of threads on here from people who desperately wish their Nav would behave like yours does. What do you feed it to get it to behave? I imagine you’d at least have to have sex with it or get it drunk every now and again :p

:D. I honestly don't know why people have so much trouble, as there are plenty of tutorials about Basecamp. I reckon that half the problems arise from using someone else's route, calculated on a non-Garmin map using non-Garmin s/w.

One other word of wisdom (learnt after bitter experience) is to 'trace' over a route that has been provided to you. In other words, import the route or track from wherever, into Basecamp, then trace a new route over the top using your own start and finish waypoints, and shaping points. Don't just rely on someone else's route, as it can often go wrong.

I have given one of said tutorials to my bike club - it turns out I said the same things that RiDE magazine published in May - but I still find that recalculating ignores shaping points and takes you to the next waypoint according to the settings in the device.

Back
Top Bottom