Rear Metzeler Roadtec 01 a state after 7000 miles.

rhun91

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Checked my tyres a couple of days ago and the rear looks pretty worse for wear. I ride 2 up a lot with luggage and Scottish roads are pretty rough. Is this normal? I was expecting quite a bit more from these tyres.
Bike is a 2010 twincam RT.

https://imgur.com/a/XYxeMlX

Checked my tyres a couple of days ago and the rear looks pretty worse for wear. I ride 2 up a lot with luggage and Scottish roads are pretty rough. Is this normal? I was expecting quite a bit more from these tyres.

https://imgur.com/a/XYxeMlX

Its a Sport Touring tyre well regarded for its high level of grip.. you were lucky to get North of 5k miles out of it ....:thumb

I couldn't afford the Roadtecs and save £60 by fiting the excellent T30 Evos last year but my rear was shot after about 5.5k miles and thats solo albeit a bit more weight and quite a bit more power. I just replaced it last month with another T30 to keep a matched pair with the front.

Its a Sport Touring tyre well regarded for its high level of grip.. you were lucky to get North of 5k miles out of it ....:thumb
I also have a feeling the fact BMW didn't fit the heavy weight versions hasn't helped. The roadtec 01s have been amazing in all manner of conditions but I think I may have to give the road attack 3 GTs a try next. 250 quid a pair though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I couldn't afford the Roadtecs and save £60 by fiting the excellent T30 Evos last year but my rear was shot after about 5.5k miles and thats solo albeit a bit more weight and quite a bit more power. I just replaced it last month with another T30 to keep a matched pair with the front.

Agreed usually get about 5-5.5K on my VFR with the T30 Evos solo up in the Highlands.

My issue is my front roadtec 01 is looking great and I'd really rather not mix tyres. Bah.
Would the T31's not be the tyre to go for now instead of the T30?

I think the issue is unrealistic expectation, not sub-standard product.

I would never run a rear tyre for 7,000 miles. Even if it were still legal, its performance is bound to be dreadful for anything other than pootling around town.

Take a pessimistic view; a pair of decent tyres costs £250. Assume the rear is really only good for 5,000 miles (at best). By running them to 7,000 you save about £100 - less if you assume two rears to each front.

No way am I willing to compromise the bit in contact with the road for the sake of a few bob.

I've inadvertently just run an 01 rear for 5,000 miles and it's knackered - completely legal but knackered. Until it's replaced, definitely no hooning...

I think the issue is unrealistic expectation, not sub-standard product.

I would never run a rear tyre for 7,000 miles. Even if it were still legal, its performance is bound to be dreadful for anything other than pootling around town.

Take a pessimistic view; a pair of decent tyres costs £250. Assume the rear is really only good for 5,000 miles (at best). By running them to 7,000 you save about £100 - less if you assume two rears to each front.

No way am I willing to compromise the bit in contact with the road for the sake of a few bob.

I've inadvertently just run an 01 rear for 5,000 miles and it's knackered - completely legal but knackered. Until it's replaced, definitely no hooning...

That's a fair point, this is my first properly torquey, heavy bike so I'm not used to going through a tyre this quickly. So general consensus is new rear required ASAP, going to give the HWM roadtec 01 a go and see how it goes. Pretty pleased how my 01 hasn't squared off at all which I did expect. However I have found due to riding through all of winter now it's warming up a bit I'm a lot more confident in the twisties which may be keeping it in check.

Thanks for your points chaps.

Grippy and abrasive Scottish roads and a bike of 100 bhp never give me more than 4K miles from a rear tyre.

My issue is my front roadtec 01 is looking great and I'd really rather not mix tyres. Bah.
Would the T31's not be the tyre to go for now instead of the T30?

Emperors new clothes!? The T31 is slightly improved in the wet but I doubt you'd notice any difference , certainly I know I wouldn't , so I'd be more inclined to fit T30s as you'll probably find that there are very good deals to be had . I paid £104 fitted , ride in / ride out for my new rear.

What is great about more modern tyres now is how well they feel / work even when quite well worn. I first noticed this when I switched from Tourances to Conti Trail Attack 2s which were ace even when well worn . PR4s were OKish too but these T30s have been very good like the Conti. I put 6 or 7 sets of Tourances on my 1150 and it was always a revelation when i fitted a new pair but you don't get quite that same new tyre feeling anymore.

Best tyres I have had were Pirelli Angel GT - had them on my Multistrada, two up tour to Dubrovnik, and the rear lasted 9500 miles. Have not had them on an RT but they will be my first choice when I replace the current ones. Great feel, excellent in the wet, and long life!

Best tyres I have had were Pirelli Angel GT - had them on my Multistrada, two up tour to Dubrovnik, and the rear lasted 9500 miles. Have not had them on an RT but they will be my first choice when I replace the current ones. Great feel, excellent in the wet, and long life!

That's some serious mileage, on an equally serious bike; you've done well there. Were you just minsing around; or were you giving it some.:clap

Certainly not ‘minsing around’ but not ‘blasting it’ either!! I reckon I am a reasonably quick rider but keeping it smooth is the secret. What really pleased me with the tyres though, was that the first 4000 miles were two up on the Croatia tour. Some of it motorway but mostly A roads and some B roads. No real squaring off until around 8000. I have had them on two multis and always been very impressed with them. Disappointed to read about the Roadtec as I was tempted to try a set after several good reviews - have to canvas more opinions!

Conveniently my first time out on the bike after making this thread. After 15 minutes I saw a rapid loss of air in my rear tyre. (42 psi to flat in 20 seconds) didn't have a chance to properly assess the damage as it's pure pissing it down. Currently waiting on BMW breakdown, thankfully my new rear is sat at Bellsburn motorcycles. What a day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It’s early days yet but my Avon Spirit ST,s are looking good after 3000 miles. Over a thousand of those where on French Auto Routes the rest normal (crap) UK roads and some glorious French D roads. Excellent feel, handling and comfort. At three thousand miles I can “just” see a vague start of a flat on the rear unlike my previous Pilot Roads which had a pronounced “flat” at the same mileage. The front is as new.
Go on, try something different ! !.

I think you have been lucky getting those miles, to be honest. I’ve just got 5,000m out of a pair (on an XR) Front okay for a few more miles, but rear down to the wear markers. I’m happy with that mileage, knowing what they have been through, and how welll they have performed.

I think you have been lucky getting those miles, to be honest. I’ve just got 5,000m out of a pair (on an XR) Front okay for a few more miles, but rear down to the wear markers. I’m happy with that mileage, knowing what they have been through, and how welll they have performed.

Yep that sums up my feelings about tyres on any bike and any tyre !

Back
Top Bottom