1,500 km tour (lap) of Austria

Wapping

Reaction score
Courtesy of the latest issue of Tourenfahrer magazine, here’s an easy to replicate lap of Austria:

804585864e830c86f9bcb569365fb704.jpg

They suggest four to five days.

To make it even easier the magazine gives a handy download link, too:

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/tour/altes-austria-763/detail/

Which will reward you with something that looks pretty much like:

87f4fa899ccdea23ff159ee4ae5f0b16.jpg

All fully zoomable etc etc etc so it’ll be easy to recreate it in BaseCamp or Mapsource.

You could even contemplate buying the full download for EUR 2

I notice the route doesn't go over the grossglocknerhaupalpenstrasse from Zell am Zee but heads west and then south. I'm guessing this route was generated during the winter when Google doesn't permit closed roads to be routed. It's a pity because that's when a lot of bods create routes for use during the summer.
I know we could use Kurviger but I like to use the "rubber band" routing that Kurviger doesn't have.

I can’t read German, so I don’t know why they missed the grossglocknerhaupalpenstrasse. That being said, like any magazine route suggestion, there’s always a chance that something will be skipped, if only to complete the route within a certain timeframe. I guess that the white roads they left in the map drawing serve two purposes: 1. To show alternatives - 2. To cut corners off, shortening the route to cater for less time.

Pull the route about, amend it and improve it, nobody will mind or even know. That’s the great thing about stealing or borrowing ideas, the bulk of the work has been done by someone else. All that then needs to be done is the fun bits of amending it to suite and, not least, riding it.

Just to show how to do that, I asked Kurviger to create a route that took me: Salzburg, Lienz, Spittal. It gave me:

78eb725abf0b48b45f7973eca621c0b0.jpg

Look at where it suggests you go.... again, all done from an iPad, sitting at home.

The great thing about the internet, the ideas and the various routing tools out there, is the ability to play about in them. You really cannot break them. What I hope is that this thread shows bods just how easy it is to do. It might give them the confidence to give it a go, instead of appealing here with the not unusual, “Me and me five mates have a week in Austria, going Monday * morning when me mate gets off work. We need great roads, no motorways, views and stuff”

:beerjug:

* It’s now usually Sunday night, around 2 AM, so we can assume panic might be setting in. They “don’t do plans, mate”. That’s because they are bikermate free spirits.... and they have found that someone else (might) do it for them. That giving that assistance is sometimes like drawing teeth, is of no consequence at all :D

I also like the altitude indicator that's tied to the route highlighter. I'd still like to "rubber band" it though.
Like you, Richard, I spend a lot of time playing with maps and making routes but I also like to just "wing it" when I'm riding unknown lands. Last year I left Mugello and headed cross-country roughly in the direction of Imola without any Nav V assistance. I rode some beautiful Tuscany roads and stopped at an idyllic village in the hills, had a walk about and a pistachio ice-cream - gorgeous!
Sometimes it's a benefit to get lost.

Back
Top Bottom