F700GS front fork upgrade options

heinrich

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just came across this forum so this is my very first post.

I have a '12 F700GS and looking to improve the front suspension a little. Not sure what options are available; Wilbers progressive springs, Hyperpro etc?

An advice?

Thanks
H

Why bother? They are what they are, like the F650GS, the low cost road oriented 800 twin in the range. A simpler bike, slightly down on power compared with the F800GS/GSA, but none the worse for that. However I don't think I would be chucking money at a 6 year old machine in an effort to make it what it isn't, unless fork maintenance was required due to mileage/damage.

Have you considered trading up to the full fat version instead - plentiful now, with the 750/850 due.

Depends what it is about the forks you want to improve and of course what you use it for.

Fitting Hyperpro spring may stiffen the front if that's what your looking for but fork control cone from the rebound which may require either you adjusting it or even having them revalved to suit the stronger springs.

Why bother? They are what they are, like the F650GS, the low cost road oriented 800 twin in the range. A simpler bike, slightly down on power compared with the F800GS/GSA, but none the worse for that. However I don't think I would be chucking money at a 6 year old machine in an effort to make it what it isn't, unless fork maintenance was required due to mileage/damage.

Have you considered trading up to the full fat version instead - plentiful now, with the 750/850 due.

Pff, looking at half the crap people bolt onto their bikes a fork spring upgrade is nothing!

I'll be doing the springs on my 650 soon - nothing to do with offroading, just to improve the handling on our shite old English roads. I certainly won't be farting around selling a bike I'm happy with on the whole, buying a new one I don't need/want & then finding a different set of things to tweak!!!

D

Pff, looking at half the crap people bolt onto their bikes a fork spring upgrade is nothing!

I'll be doing the springs on my 650 soon - nothing to do with offroading, just to improve the handling on our shite old English roads. I certainly won't be farting around selling a bike I'm happy with on the whole, buying a new one I don't need/want & then finding a different set of things to tweak!!!

D

Whilst I disagree mate, each to their own. Your bike, your hard earned, your choice.

Just curious though ...surely it is the damping management factor that is needed which, on a 650/700 just aint going to happen without major surgery.

I had a 650 twin b4 my 700GS & fitted Hyperpro progressive front fork springs.
When I sold the 650GS I took out Hyperpro Springs with a mind to fit them in the 700 but the 700 had standard progressive springs in it already.
Much longer than the 650GS front springs.
So i think you will find they good from the start..

But if you want to upgrade then try eBay number : 183208348934

Whilst I disagree mate, each to their own. Your bike, your hard earned, your choice.

Just curious though ...surely it is the damping management factor that is needed which, on a 650/700 just aint going to happen without major surgery.

That may be the case, sticking some upgraded springs in & seeing what happens is a better option than "buy another bike". Might as well ditch the forums replace them with a tool that calculates the next model up from the bike you've got if that was the stock reply to every query!!! :D

D

I had a 650 twin b4 my 700GS & fitted Hyperpro progressive front fork springs.
When I sold the 650GS I took out Hyperpro Springs with a mind to fit them in the 700 but the 700 had standard progressive springs in it already.
Much longer than the 650GS front springs.
So i think you will find they good from the start..

But if you want to upgrade then try eBay number : 183208348934

I had no idea they already had progressive springs as standard, thanks.

The idea of stiffening them up a bit came from doing some off roading in Wales this past weekend. I admit some of the terrain we faced wasn't really what the 700 was designed for but in general it coped quite well. Just a lot of work for me as it's so heavy compared to the other riders on much lighter bikes. (400 - 600 range)

I have no intention to 'upgrade' it to make it something it isn't, or to make it into an 800. The way I use it now is 90% commute so going off road once or twice a year doesn't justify the expense. If it's not going to improve the handling much, then I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Thanks for the input so far, appreciate it.

I had no idea they already had progressive springs as standard, thanks.

The idea of stiffening them up a bit came from doing some off roading in Wales this past weekend. I admit some of the terrain we faced wasn't really what the 700 was designed for but in general it coped quite well. Just a lot of work for me as it's so heavy compared to the other riders on much lighter bikes. (400 - 600 range)

I have no intention to 'upgrade' it to make it something it isn't, or to make it into an 800. The way I use it now is 90% commute so going off road once or twice a year doesn't justify the expense. If it's not going to improve the handling much, then I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Thanks for the input so far, appreciate it.

I can only think that BMW added better front springs when they went for the twin disc set up on the 700GS, to stop some of tbe dive when applying the front brakes.
On the picture you will see the difference between the F650 GS twin front spring & the F700 GS spring.
Longest being the 700GS.
Some difference :thumb.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525945125799.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525945125799.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 944
I upgraded via Revs Racing my 08 F650 twin with Wilbers progressives. On riding away my first impression was that Revs had bled my brakes, because they felt harder and the bike slowed quicker. Then I realised the previous diving under braking had gone and the bike was so much more settled .

Cant comment on the effect on the F700 but on the single disk F650 it is a great upgrade.

I can only think that BMW added better front springs when they went for the twin disc set up on the 700GS, to stop some of tbe dive when applying the front brakes.
On the picture you will see the difference between the F650 GS twin front spring & the F700 GS spring.
Longest being the 700GS.
Some difference :thumb.

Thats a significant difference in spring length and turns there Ash !

Thats a significant difference in spring length and turns there Ash !

Bloody suprised me Steve, I thought my Hyperpro Springs from my 650GS Twin would fit.
Boy was I wrong, having rode the 700 for 2 yrs the suspension is great for road use..
I'm a big lad & the Hyperpro rear spring coupled with the ESA I found suspension was / is spot on.

Sad to be selling it but with my busted body the XC's lightness helps no end.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom