K1600 Bagger

Nice 'n' Fat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went for a test ride this morning on a K1600 Bagger while my GS was in having the fork recall done

As the salesman handed me the keys he apologised for the bike not being specced up with Gear Shift Assist Pro. I didn't think anything of it until I rode the beasty up the road

It has got to be the greatest engine ever fitted between two wheel with the worst gearbox known to man :blast

Almost as if the Erics have engineered in the need to have GSAP fitted from new :augie

Not a cheap retro fit either according to the man. Upwards of £1000 apparently :eek:

I don't know what the general impression of GSAP is across the K16 range. Chatting to that rare beast, a bagger owner recently, he reckoned it worked well on the upshift, but could be recalcitrant going down the box where it would bang the odd change & fail to auto-blip promptly. Maybe it's the pegs/shifter position that makes a clean downshift difficult; I know some riders reckon the footboards option makes shifting more of a challenge. Roll on DCT though, that K16 transmission was always a clunky affair.

Erics ....... hadn't heard that one for a while (c.1984?)

I've just switched to the K1600B from a GSA

The two main reasons were that I could actually get on the Bagger without a struggle. Im certainly big enough once mounted but weak painful knees worked against me.

The second reason is the engine. I've had a couple of K1600 Gt's and I just missed the pleasure of the linear power. The R1200GSA LC engine, whilst excellent, leaves me cold and uninvolved.

My gearbox is slowly getting better and the shift assist is well suited to this bike

My B is fine. It’s GSAP works just as well as on my RR.

Any ongoing reviews of the bagger please, considering one at the moment?

Any ongoing reviews of the bagger please, considering one at the moment?

Engine is superb as you would expect

My only issue was comfort. I tried footrest lowering and probably could have lived with the ergonomics ( I am a great big lump of a bloke) but after a little trip to Northumberland the lack of carrying capacity caused me concern. I have gone back to a GSA of which I had many. I have also had several K1600's and they are fun but the GSA just seems to do everything.

I do miss that rather additive howl from the airbox

I hope this helps

I sold my GS 1200LC TE for a K1600GTL - no regrets, it feels so much more planted and does not suffer from additional weight nearly as much as the GS - the GS was also a pig in cross winds, the GTL barely notices them it's so solid.

I believe the Baggers can get a bit "weavey" at high seeds - 100+, but the GTL is fine, and if sensible that should not be an issue.

The engine is epic, the weight huge, and the style good, comes with more toys than a pedo at Christmas :eek:

James

Based on my own personal sample of a Scrambler X, an S1000RR and a Bagger, the latter is just awesome and the favourite in my small fleet. Great engine, styling, stability, build and road presence.

I sold my GS 1200LC TE for a K1600GTL - no regrets, it feels so much more planted and does not suffer from additional weight nearly as much as the GS - the GS was also a pig in cross winds, the GTL barely notices them it's so solid.

I believe the Baggers can get a bit "weavey" at high seeds - 100+, but the GTL is fine, and if sensible that should not be an issue.

The engine is epic, the weight huge, and the style good, comes with more toys than a pedo at Christmas :eek:

James

Did you get your troublesome screen and seat sorted out?

Is there any difference in the suspension setup comparing the K16 GT & the Bagger ? Which handles better (subjective I know). ? Is there more or less peg to tarmac gap ? (not easy to determine on a demo bike)
Overall which is more involving to ride ?
No more questions M'lud.

I would love one but the leg position is just too cramped for me.

Do the foot pegs lowering kit make much difference.

Did you get your troublesome screen and seat sorted out?

Sorry, missed this before.

I tried a Cal-Si screen but found it too big, although they do come in different sizes. I'm going to look out for a flipped up version as and when I get round to it, the original is ok, but I'm sure there are better one out there, they are just silly money. As for the seat, I got Tony Archer to do me a remodel of the existing one and it's definitely better, not 250 miles a day better, but fine for 70/80 mile stints before a coffee and then get back on again. I'm still thinking about a RDL seat from the states, but I'll need to be certain as it's a shed load of money, so I'll get another 500/600 miles on the TA one before I bite the bullet if it does not wear in.

Is there any difference in the suspension setup comparing the K16 GT & the Bagger ? Which handles better (subjective I know). ? Is there more or less peg to tarmac gap ? (not easy to determine on a demo bike)
Overall which is more involving to ride ?
No more questions M'lud.

I borrowed a Bagger for 600 miles while my GTL was in getting serviced, it was just a weekend, but they were ok with me going away for two days on it. The bagger is easier to use at low speeds and in car parks, the seat, bars and screen are different also, but no real difference in use than the GTL other than it's lower and easier at low speed. There is less ground clearance, I was on it just one up and was fine, but two up with luggage I'm not so sure I could still get the angles I currently do. The footboards were not for me either, they further reduce ground clearance and gave me too much of a stretch position. You also have to move your feet back for the controls, so only useful if you like that position and have long roads with no turns for miles - rare in the UK unless your on a Motorway. Both bikes have the same geometry and are almost identical once your moving, I'd say if you are mostly solo a bagger is a great alternative to a GT/GTL, but if you do mostly 2 up get one of the latter ones.

I would love one but the leg position is just too cramped for me.

Do the foot pegs lowering kit make much difference.

I've not tried one, but they will obviously do the trick although reduce ground clearance, but I would have though an inch would not take away much in real life cornering. It may be worth looking at the seat height though, they come as standard with about 750/780mm depending on the year, which is very low, but I got a high version at 810mm and it was fine, but still a bit uncomfortable for me (arse wise), so I got Tony Archer to re do it and it's now more like 840mm and easier on the legs as I'm 6'1".

James

Sorry for not replying sooner. Still fancy one and will look more into the seat height etc.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Still fancy one and will look more into the seat height etc.

Go for a test ride, and check which seats on it, it's 99% going to be the standard (low) one it ships with, but for under £100 Tony Archer can alter it to what you want.

James

Back
Top Bottom