MS Office on MacBook

jonnie comet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I think this MAY have been done to death, but......

Daughter in law needs MS Office on her MacBook Air (something to do with a course she is doing) I told her that I would ask you lot the best (read cheapest) way to do it.

I've told her about LibreOffice and OpenOffice but she's still whittering about on about MS Office.

Any ideas ??....Please.....:)

Have a look at Software for Students - they’re pretty good if you are in education.

Failing that I bought a oem copy off amazone which has all installed ok and was a fraction of the cost of MS.

Tom

I bought the full version when I bought my Mac book in 2011. A recently acquired PC went the Amazon / ebay route and all is fine.

Either use numbers and pages and keynote (apple apps) which will translate into in to the Microsoft equivalents. Or bite the bullet and buy MS office for Mac, which I have to say, works well.

As I've said before, Word and Excel were both originally written for the Mac (before Windows existed) so it's been available for years.

Just search eBay for a used MS Office for Mac - I use Office 2011 - there is one here.

I bought a copy for my neighbour in the same way - I think he paid £24 or so. Check they have good feedback before buying, but if they do, go ahead. You download the software from the Microsoft site and the seller sends you an email with the unlock code.

I've had my copy for several years, all software updates work etc...

Mike :)

Pages is all the Word processor most people need - comes free with your Mac.

Word on a mac is piece of junk.

If she's going to use Office for a project, make sure the auto backups are pretty regular, data loss is a known hazard in large Word docs. My son has just finished his degree and split his work between GoogleDocs and LaTeX. Both free, and very polished pieces of software.

I've used OpenOffice in the past and found it frustrating if you're regularly interfacing with colleagues who are using the Microsoft product. Compatibility issues would crop up just a bit too often. As others have suggested, Software4Students are a handy and reliable source.

Go get a student license for office, it's dirt cheap and all she needs is an email address for her college or uni. Better still get a student office 365 and she will have somewhere safe to keep her stuff as well.

Follow the advice on Marki above. My wife has it on the MacBook Pro for many years and has had no issues.
Purchase under student email address and it is cheap in comparison to a full license.

Once again, many thanks for all the replies/advice...:thumb2

SHE decided to pay for MS Word...£5.99/month. She ALWAYS knows best, I'm a bit brassed off that I got involved......My lad has got his hands full there....:eek:

Wimmin !!!

SHE decided to pay for MS Word...£5.99/month. She ALWAYS knows best, I'm a bit brassed off that I got involved......My lad has got his hands full there....:eek:

Wimmin !!!

There’s no telling them.............

Wimmin !!!

Pity as she could have got it free ,Oh well no telling the youths these day :D

Back
Top Bottom