vibration @ 4500rpm

Does it run any better with the new tensioner fitted ?

The part looks like a poor design.

Looks more like to top one has not straightened out, more like the end has broken off, so probably some metal banging around somewhere, unless design has changed.

I can't say it runs any better but the winning noise has gone from the front
its still got a really bad bussy vibration starting in the hands @3500rpm and start feeling it in the feet then @4500rpm onwards, I have fitted a new TPS which hasn't changed the vibration either, and rebalanced the throttle bodies, but noting has changed that vibration

The OEM engine map runs very weak around 4000 rpm to help the bike pass its product homologation noise tests. The fix is to solve the fuel mapping. Hilltop, AFXIED or Power Commander will do the job.

Its also not an especially smooth running engine that I suspect has a vibration period at that speed. No amount of fettling will fix that.

Its also not an especially smooth running engine that I suspect has a vibration period at that speed. No amount of fettling will fix that.

I think you are right, I have tried everything including a remap and mine still runs like a pig for 90% of the time. Still love it though.

I think you are right, I have tried everything including a remap and mine still runs like a pig for 90% of the time. Still love it though.

Isn't that the rub. I still love the bike despite it's many annoying features. Vibration is a biggie for me, but would anything else (except perhaps a 6 pot) be any better?

BTW, the new throttle position sensor has improved the speed hunt I used to get. It wasn't exactly the hunting, more as if I had slightly closed the throttle foe a couple of seconds. That's gone away and it might be smoother ticking over. I still have to sort the idle steppers but they don't do anything at vibration speeds so not a priority.

Yesterday I took my idle steppers out and cleaned them, just a bit of minor goo in there. Reset with 911 and did TB synch, still feels rough over 4000 so I'm now thinking of changing the primaries. My gearbox endfloat rattle sounds like a bag of spanners too. Not much luck what with the FD bearing play starting now at 46,000 miles.

I just don't get how sometimes after a good high rpm run or at some altitudes/loads it is sublimely smooth, but not often. Mostly its harsh.

I sometimes wonder of the flywheel and clutch are part of the vibration problem. Has anyone balanced them and found an improvement?

I have to say I absolutely love the bike, so its worth living with the vibration, I drove a friends 2009 r1200gsa the other day and it had the same vibration and the same rev range but didn't seem to be as severe as mine.......so as of now I have decided to live with it, I have checked and double checked everything I can think of without striping the engine (job for the winter if needs be), adjusted throttle bodies and reset adaptions, valve clearances and timing checked, spark and fuel have all be checked too and even changed the TPS to be sure, its not burning oil and there is no sign of any wear/metal in oil, gear oil or final drive oil...........so I have decided to live with and get used to it or let it develop so I can identify the cause..................if I do you will all be the first to know.

thank you everyone who took the time to read my post and reply with any suggestions they have all be greatly appreciated.

I also really like how the bike performs etc etc. But the little things, mostly caused by BMW taking the complicated/expensive route, really do piss me off. It could have been so much better for less overall cost.

I have also done all of the above checks and added Rox anti vibe risers to no appreciable effect on vibration.

I’d love to know a solution, if you find anything that improves things please reply, likewise I will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As weird as it sounds, my 2008 Gs had exactly the same buzz at 4.5k and when it went in for a service to keep the warranty going, they lent me a new demo bike which also had one so I stopped worrying about it and just put it down to "character".
But weirdly a few months later, I put a new Scorpion can on and feared the vibration would be worse as the original can was rubber mounted and the Scorpion isn't but it is actually better! It is not gone completely but not as bad as it was so maybe there is some natural resonance going on in harmony with something? Anyway, good luck with the vibrations and if u ever find the cause, I am sure u will make a lot of people happy!

Mine has a Scorpion can and is mapped for it. The bike still vibrates around 4000 rpm+. Even at tickover my screen and mirrors judder.

I swapped the sidle steppers for a known good pair. I also checked the throttle balance which was almost spot on and adjusted it a smidge. No difference in vibration and it still ticks over lumpily. Looks like the next job will be a swap of secondary coils. The primaries were replaced at about 50K miles and fuel consumption is fine so they're not in the frame.

Major breakthrough.

Yesterday I adjusted the main throttle cable to achieve more slack then used my old carbtune to balance throttle bodies and got 'auld thumper' running a bit better at idle. We were now 'in the ballpark'.

Today I put a large dose of Techron (Texaco)fuel system cleaner in the near empty fuel tank, then filled up with £25 worth of 98 RON and went for a 68 mile ride with mates. As the ride progressed, the bike seemed to get progressively smoother and smoother, the throttle response crisper and lighter with much improved gear changes and a less harsh action on and off throttle. Also, part throttle seemed more 'gentle' and easier to set. Basically the brain/throttle hand/bike response was so much better.

FWIW, Techron is the only fuel system cleaner I have found that seems to work unlike other snake oil for sale.

After getting home, I plugged in the GS911 and dug out the Harmonizer and did another TB synch routine with much closer attention. Idle sych was spot on but as revs rose it got progressively worse, at 4000+ it was a bit coarse. I adjusted the RH throttle body adjuster by just 2 flats and rechecked at revs, this time it was spot on.

A quick test ride followed and the bike is now very much improved.

Plan is now to replace stock headers with keihan or similar decatted to improve exhaust gas flow and efficiency ( and hopefully more smoothness).

Major breakthrough.

Yesterday I adjusted the main throttle cable to achieve more slack then used my old carbtune to balance throttle bodies and got 'auld thumper' running a bit better at idle. We were now 'in the ballpark'.

Today I put a large dose of Techron (Texaco)fuel system cleaner in the near empty fuel tank, then filled up with £25 worth of 98 RON and went for a 68 mile ride with mates. As the ride progressed, the bike seemed to get progressively smoother and smoother, the throttle response crisper and lighter with much improved gear changes and a less harsh action on and off throttle. Also, part throttle seemed more 'gentle' and easier to set. Basically the brain/throttle hand/bike response was so much better.

FWIW, Techron is the only fuel system cleaner I have found that seems to work unlike other snake oil for sale.

After getting home, I plugged in the GS911 and dug out the Harmonizer and did another TB synch routine with much closer attention. Idle sych was spot on but as revs rose it got progressively worse, at 4000+ it was a bit coarse. I adjusted the RH throttle body adjuster by just 2 flats and rechecked at revs, this time it was spot on.

A quick test ride followed and the bike is now very much improved.

Plan is now to replace stock headers with keihan or similar decatted to improve exhaust gas flow and efficiency ( and hopefully more smoothness).

Excellent Pukmeister great to see some positive results, I will try the same and post my results

Best of luck, patience is key.

In my case I cleaned the idle steppers, checked valve clearances then used the GS911 to park the steppers for balancing.

Initial balance was done using a Carbtune2 due to its “analogue” simplicity in getting it close.

For fine tuning throttle balance, the harmonizer I use shows rpm and vacuum balance very accurately so it is easy to increase revs in steps and keep fine tuning the balance screws at idle until it remains spot on at both idle and high rpm.

Back
Top Bottom