Picos: Hermida Gorge

A heads up for anyone heading to the Picos.

We are off there soon and just had a message from the hotel that we will be staying in in Potes:

"The Hermida Gorge that you drive through between Panes and Potes is undergoing a huge transformation with the replacement of the 4 bridges and the addition of more netting to protect vehicles from falling rocks. Particularly useful if you drive an open top car or m'bike! This requires the road to be closed at certain times of the day for the next five weeks on a Monday to Friday basis.

Closure will be from midnight to 13:00hrs daily. The closures will only affect you if you decide to drive down to the coast but there are alternative routes we can discuss when you are here and of course you can return via the gorge after 13:00hrs."

For those interested found some more detail about the road closure. Posted on another forum

Attachments

• 32651615_10211811192742301_6015175988097318912_o (1).jpg
    32651615_10211811192742301_6015175988097318912_o (1).jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 347
re road closure

I can confirm it was closed Monday morning! Now then, my nav 5 gave me 5km warning as it was connected to the garmin app on my phone.

No bother i thought... I just pressed the detour button. Off it went an it sent me up a CA road. 8km up and later the road ran out..

literally it was dirt path with pot holes and very steep. Did a u turn - got the map out and took a detour via CA184 (potes). Added 90 mins to the journey but the scenery was fantastic.

Another lesson learned, many seasoned travellers here always advise to carry paper maps. I had one of them Spain and Portugal paper maps but the scale was poor. Not a problem I thought as I had my newly Mac Book Air acquired from this site several months ago. However can you believe it packed up several days later. Moral of the story is to read and take in the advice here and purchase DECENT maps which provide great detail of the area u are travelling! Reduces stress!

I know have a map of northern Spain only which has more detail. Which means I will have to go back:beerjug:

Thanks for the heads up, off there in 2 days time via Santander ferry from Pompey.

Who needs maps when you have GPS. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can confirm it was closed Monday morning! Now then, my nav 5 gave me 5km warning as it was connected to the garmin app on my phone.

No bother i thought... I just pressed the detour button. Off it went an it sent me up a CA road. 8km up and later the road ran out..

literally it was dirt path with pot holes and very steep. Did a u turn - got the map out and took a detour via CA184 (potes)....

Another lesson learned..... always advise to carry.... DECENT maps which provide great detail of the area u are travelling! Reduces stress!

Can you do me a favour please.

On a map (Google will do) mark please:

A. The point where you were starting from

B. The point where you pushed the button on your GPS device to start your detour, before it sent you up the goat track C below

C. The small CA (goat track) road where, 8km up you wisely decided to turn around

D. Where you were trying to get to

I’ll then have a go at creating a thread that shows the goat track on a decent scale map versus a scale that doesn’t show it and how the road (goat track) is displayed on a GPS, along with how a device might well route an unwary traveller along it.

Thank you.

Richard

literally it was dirt path with pot holes and very steep. Did a u turn - got the map out and took a detour via CA184 (potes). Added 90 mins to the journey but the scenery was fantastic.

Another lesson learned, many seasoned travellers here always advise to carry paper maps. I had one of them Spain and Portugal paper maps but the scale was poor. Not a problem I thought as I had my newly Mac Book Air acquired from this site several months ago. However can you believe it packed up several days later. Moral of the story is to read and take in the advice here and purchase DECENT maps which provide great detail of the area u are travelling! Reduces stress!

I know have a map of northern Spain only which has more detail. Which means I will have to go back:beerjug:

You can usually get Michelin Regions series maps in large chain filling stations like Repsol or CEPSA. But the best are the Michelin 'Zoom' series that show many trails that are technically roads in rural areas.

Meanwhile any satnav is only as good as the map it's using. Maybe you had some sot of European liesure map, which wouldn't distinguish between trails and lanes. Otherwise you've 'discovered' a new rideable trail in the Picos/Cantabria, which are like hen's teeth, so, as Wapping says, please tell!

Regs

Simo

B. The point where you pushed the button on your GPS device to start your detour, before it sent you up the goat track C below

C. The small CA (goat track) road where, 8km up you wisely decided to turn around

I’ll then have a go at creating a thread that shows the goat track on a decent scale map versus a scale that doesn’t show it and how the road (goat track) is displayed on a GPS, along with how a device might well route an unwary traveller along it.

Thank you.

Richard

Hi Richard - will PM you this morning with more details

Regards

Malc

Thank you, Malc

Did you have your GPS device set to:

Avoid unmade roads?

The avoid unmade roads option is not a perfect science, not least as it requires that the mapmaker has been told and / or has buried in the data of the map, that a stretch is ‘unmade’. If they haven’t been told and / or haven’t done this, then the device will, understandably, read it as a conventional road and route the rider down it.

Similarly, whether the rider has set their GPS to ‘Most direct’ or ‘Fastest time’ may also have an affect, as will say, ‘Avoid all motorways or highways’

Getting lost or stuck (as bods do) and relying on only their GPS to get them out of trouble, is - as the posts above demonstrate - not always plain sailing. Having a back-up is always handy. Maps are so cheap and last for years.... support your local mapmaker!

Paper maps.... those trees bravely gave their lives so that you could reach your destination. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably now made from recycled paper.

Yesterday’s Sun, today’s map in the sun.

Thank you.

Richard

Hi Richard - hope this helps.

A. The point where you were starting from. - Please see google map. (posada penas ariba)

B. The point where you pushed the button on your GPS device to start your detour, before it sent you up the goat track C below- I believe this was at 500 yds before the junction on the CA883

C. The small CA (goat track) road where, 8km up you wisely decided to turn around. - I think this is the road my memory is a little hazy. I ended up in a an area with about 10 houses, very steep.
please see 2nd google map. I can confirm my nav 5 said 5.1km to road closure. and within 100 yds or so it rerouted at my request.

D. Where you were trying to get to - heading towards Santander

Hope this helps

Attachments

• start point.jpg
    start point.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Detour.jpg
    Detour.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 145

Back
Top Bottom